1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone not like the Pilot G-2 pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by cosine, Jul 10, 2008.

1. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

I don't. I got a few to try out and almost hated them. The ink smears if you run your hand over your writing without letting it dry for a moment, mine would get a ball of ink on the tip which would then leave a blob on the paper, and they wouldn't write on any very smooth or polished or glossy paper. There were almost no redeeming qualities to them that I could find, and plenty of disadvantages.

On the other hand, I just picked up a pack of Zebra Z Grip pens yesterday. These are nice. Smooth writing, no blobbing, writes on polished or glossy paper... I think I'm going to like these pens.

2. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

Just testing out my first G-2s a .10 and .07

The pen body itself is horrid... the .10 does seem a bit blobby on occasion.

My opinion is still on hold pending more field usage.

3. dudegalea

dudegalea Empty Pockets

I don't like the G2 either. I'm right-handed, and I found that push-up-strokes (i.e. bottom-right to top-left) often didn't appear. I find this to be a problem with gel pens in general.

Maybe it's something to do with the way I hold the pen, or how much pressure I use. But I never could get it to write properly while still remaining comfortable.

4. turbo chicken

turbo chicken Empty Pockets

im a lefty and cannot do any type of gel pen as my hand goes across the ink and smears... so i can say i don't like them :mad:

the ZebraF-301 is the only pen that doesn't leave my paper streaked...

gel pens yuck... also explains why i have a hard time doing calligraphy left hand raking across the page and a heavy hand... gah... i write like a 2nd grader.

I just realize my penmenship sucks... but i'm too lazy to practice.

5. x923x

x923x Empty Pockets

Cool, I'll have to check out the Zebra F-301. I too am a heavy handed lefty with the penmanship of a caveman. I have a couple of G-2's but suffer the same fate of the inked up hand and paper smear....I like the G-2 but don't like having my bear paw of a hand having black or blue smears on it.

6. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

I THINK THEY'RE GREAT. Then again, I use certain pens for certain types of work and paper. The G2 works well at the agency that I work for. I think it may be due to the type of paper we stock out of our office. Somehow the G2 "experience" isn't as well out of the office or for writing in my calendar and memo cards. The whole Zebra line works best overall. As dudegalea put it, it may be the way I write. I took drafting (the lessons have stuck with me) and write in all caps and in block. Maybe the G2 works best for those that write with the right hand, in all caps, and in block?

7. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

I really like G-2s and I have probably been through literally 50 refills and really haven't had any issues with any of them being overly smeary or blotchy. As posted above, maybe it's because of the way I write which is mostly in block letters, but I also use the pens to sign my name many times a day and I haven't noticed any issues regarding that either.

Bucky

8. sewer_rat

sewer_rat Loaded Pockets

I have some but never really liked them too much. I keep going back to my Uniball Signo Micro 207's which write the way I seem to want. My only complaint on those is I don't like the pen the ink cartridge is wrapped around, want something heavier.

9. Mean Bone

Mean Bone Empty Pockets

I'm currently using a .38 (ultra fine, I think). It's pretty good for using writing my anesthesia records because I can write very small and some cases require a lot of info in a small space. However, it feels like I'm writing with a needle. Feels scratchy, I just live with it because of its other attributes.

10. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Thanks, Bucky. Another characteristics of how the pen compliments is the ink, the navy blue, stands out. It literally pops. Like Bucky, I sign my name on statements, requests, etc. I did a count and, on average, 30 times a day. And I don't work at a dock or with logistics. The ink compliments my signature especially if it's a form that COULD end up being read by Congresswoman Matsui.

11. callmekipling

callmekipling Empty Pockets

Cosine, what size are you using? The only ones I could find were 5's and 7's.. the 7 is great and I think the 5 is a little scratchy.

Then one day someone lent me a 10, the only one I have ever seen, and it felt like a crayon.

I'm just sayin - for three or four bucks, try a finer tip and you may find yourself surprised.

But if you're used to something with a nice metal body then two-piece threaded body pends might just not be for you.

(though now I gotta find me a 38 just for tryin's sake..)

ETA: I use mine for vital signs. Temp, pulse, respirations, BP, O2 saturation.. every patient, twice a shift at least, seven to twenty patients per.. thing's never missed a beat. Gel pens and sharpies will outlast us all :)

12. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

I used to like them but got frustrated with a few that seemed to blob constantly. Once I went to Fisher pens/cartridges I never looked back. Writes on stuff and at angles the gel just never will.

13. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

I was using the 7's. Now that I think about it, the first two I used didn't really blob like this, but the third one was horrible, and I just got fed up with it.

14. 5370H55V

5370H55V Empty Pockets

When I first bought a g2, the grip didnt feel "grippy" enough to me, and there was a seam there that always irritated me. First few weeks, there was always a blob of ink on the tip whenever its stored tip-down. After a while the leaking stopped, and I grew used to the grip, but there were still smudging problems.

15. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I've been using G2s for years with none of the problems you're referring to. I'm using blue fine tip refills in a Dr Grip body.

The Uniball Signos have better water resistance though, but aren't as smooth.

16. 5370H55V

5370H55V Empty Pockets

It was a G2 Pro with a black medium tip cartridge. I used it for around 3 months, but never really liked it.

17. user24

user24 Empty Pockets

I tried one in a shop - perfect length for me, but I found it a little too fat.

18. smopoim86

smopoim86 Loaded Pockets

I liked them the first time I saw one. I think it was the first gel pen i saw and I loved the nice bold lines. After using one I hated it. This was probably 5 or 6 years ago. I hate the way the gel pens take so long to dry. I have a bad habit of smearing gel written ink all over the place.

The other day I bought a Zebra F301 thanks to people voicing their opinion on it here. My next be will be a black titanium space pen.

Daniel

19. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

+1. I just discovered the G2 pens earlier this year (where was I, under a rock all this time?!). The 0.5mm size in blue are awesome -- I spend a lot of time filling out forms and paperwork and completely agree, the blue ink really stands out. I tried a 0.7 but that was a little too much, ran into the smearing problem.

Afraid to say the G2 has pushed my Zebra F-301s and Pilot Precise V5s out of the way lately. :)

20. Zwiebelkeks

Zwiebelkeks Empty Pockets

Just like dudegalea, I also found that the ink does not run consistently, as if the pen was nearly empty. Mine was brand new, though! At first I thought I had just bought a pen with a defective tip, so I got a new refill. Didn't help at all. Maybe it's because of my writing style, but on the other hand, I've never had problems with .7 gel pens of different manufacturers so far...