1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone make nylon or similar tactical(ish) pants?....

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Gonzzo, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Gonzzo

Gonzzo Loaded Pockets

Hello:

It is starting to get warmer and i find i need some light weight tactical pants. I own and wear the hell out of my rei sahara pants but i would like something a bit more tactical oriented. Anyone have suggestions?....

Thanks.

Gonzzo.

2. wordfool

wordfool Loaded Pockets

Railriders is my first thought. Spendy but apparently very good. Arborwear might have some all-nylon ones, too. Then you have the less robust options like Ex Officio and REI (I have some REI adventures pants that are fairly decent). All the others that I know of are nyco blend (OK in heat) or Poly-cotton blend (horrible in hot weather IMO).

I'm having a hard time finding tactical pants for hot, humid weather... the dearth of decent nylon-cotton pants is annoying, but I might try the Carhartt ripstop ones. I've gioven up on so-called breatheable, lightweight poly-cotton tactical pants because they simply don't breathe and I'd rather wear cotton ripstop.

3. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

5.11 make or did make heavy nylon pants that, except for the material, are identical in design to their regular tactical pants. These may me discontinued, however, as LA Police Gear has had them on closeout in the past.

4. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I have 2 pairs of these. While nice and comfortable, they started to pill after only a few washings. I don't know if this is normal for nylon, but it is disappointing.

5. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

5.11 made - or makes - two different kinds of pants using nylon. One type, the lighter, can pill, the other is more like a heavier duty nylon oxford cloth. These are very tough and don't pill at all to my knowledge. On the other hand, I wouldn't call them light weight or particularly suited for hot weather wear.

6. wordfool

wordfool Loaded Pockets

I also have a pair of North Face Horizon Peak Surplus pants, which are rip-stop nylon (quiet, strong, non-pilling) cargo pants but lack the strength and double seat/knee fabric of true tactical pants. They're my favorite pair of hot-weather pants tho.

I'm not sure 5.11 still makes 100% nylon pants, but I could be wrong.

7. halvdan7

halvdan7 Loaded Pockets

8. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

There are quite a few sources of lightweight nylon pants that are configured like military pants - cargo pockets, etc. - that have the zip off lower pants legs. I don't know how durable they are, but the zip off legs are not nearly as irritating as I expected them to be. Sportsman's Guide house brand - Guide Gear - are relatively cheap. The sizes on these run small. I purchased two pairs of the XXL pants that were supposed to fit up to a 43" waist, but they were very tight at 43". Other than that, they were okay, but not what I would call "tough" pants. I think that both Columbia and North Face make similar pants.

9. wordfool

wordfool Loaded Pockets

zip-off legs are OK but a problem I've experienced (albeit only on one occasion) is a busted zipper on one leg. They are, however, nice to unzip only slightly for some extra ventilation in long pants.

10. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Check out MEC Rad pants. Very light weight and comfortable.

11. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Heck, I live in those zip-off pants in the summer. That way I get cool, casual shorts when I need 'em, and can turn 'em back into semi-respectable-looking "big boy pants" in just a minute without having to change. Very, very handy if you're gonna be inside and outside, day and night.

Therein lies the problem…

The pants aimed at hikers and such go for minimum weight and maximum breathability, but those lightweight materials just aren't tough enough for "tactical" usage; but the tactical pants go for maximum toughness, and that means lots of nylon, but nylon is heavy and doesn't breath worth a :censored:.

So, like the OP, a lot of us keep searching for pants that somehow balance toughness and coolness. And so far, it doesn't seem such a thing exists, sadly.

12. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

Check Bass Pro