1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have anything positive to say about the Hi-Point Firearms?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Urban Hermit, Apr 9, 2010.

1. oakchas

oakchas Loaded Pockets

Kel tec makes a good gun.... and at least with the PF9, similar to your P11, they will rebuild it for you as it needs it... I know some owners who say it's good for about 6000 rounds before rebuild... rebuilds are free.. so, other than the inconvenience... you should be happy...

2. mrwhite1

mrwhite1 Loaded Pockets

I want to give you my professional opinion of Hi-Point firearms. I work in the LE community as a forensic firearm examiner. My daily job is to examine firearms for their function and operation, as well as determining whether a bullet or cartridge case has been fired by a particular firearm. With that said, in my 10+ years of work, and examination of literally hundreds of Hi-Points, I can honestly say I have never seen a Hi-Point that has not fired. With that said, I've seen them broken, cracked, pieces missing, you name it, but no matter what the issue was it wont prevent them from firing.

I personally know the president of Hi-Point and let me tell you what he is absolutely a phenominal guy who would give you the shirt off his back. I have no doubt that if... and that's a big if you had any problems with one of his firearms he would make it right without hesitation. He also adds additional steps in his manufacturing process to aid in identifying his firearms, as well as putting hidden serial numbers on them. I've also visited his manufacturing facility and it's quite impressive.

Now with that being said, are they the most expensive firearm? No not by a long shot. The majority of the gun is cast and injection molded. It costs huge amounts of money to machine something out of a solid piece of steel or aluminum. Hi-Point firearms are less expensive than some of the big names, but he works hard to keep prices down so it's affordable. Yes it may not be as sleek, maybe not as light, maybe not as accurate... but it is a good quality firearm, affordable to buy, accurate, reliable to shoot, and above all else dependable.

For the $ they simply can not be beat in my opinion.

3. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Thank You Mr White1 for a very informative post. I'm already sold on the Hi Points as good guns for shooting at the range, keeping in your truck box or whatever as well as an affordable home defense gun for anyone who can't afford to go out and spend $300 + on a firearm. I really like My C9 and wouldn't sell it. I plan on getting a Hi Point .45 in the future as well. But I do concede that they aren't the best CCW gun simply because of the size and weight. I'd carry mine in winter when I'm wearing jackets and coats...but in the summer, it would just be too hard to conceal. That's why I have a P11 on layaway that I'm picking up at the first of the month. Honestly, I like shooting the C9 better than the P11. the weight takes most of the recoil and it's very accurate. But the P11 is a great CCW because of it's size and weight...and being 9mm...I only have to buy one kind of ammo at this time. And it's like you also said...the people at Hi Point are great and the warranty is about the best you could hope for.

It's like riding a moped....Don't be embarassed, just enjoy the ride! lol.

4. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

When you get your P11 please post a review. I'm interested in a smaller handgun for ccw and have been looking at this one, but can't find one locally.

5. justin44

justin44 Loaded Pockets

i always think long term, better to wait till you have enough money to buy the one you want, rather than spend now and then pay out again very soon.

6. Urban Hermit

The only problem with that philosophy is knowing the person's situation. I live in a bad neighborhood and had no other firearm. There were break in's and a stabbing in my neighborhood, and I have to walk my dog sometimes late at night. I have very little money and live from paycheck to paycheck because of a disability. Something always comes up and I never can seem to save more than a couple hundred dollars at a time. A Hi Point was at least a dependable gun that does go bang when you pull the trigger and suitable for having in the house as home defense. Had I waited, it might have been months or a year, and I could have been robbed or worse in that time. So I got a Hi Point...and I like it. Now...I have the luxury if you will..to make payments on a better CC weapon. And in the meantime...I have something at home for protection.

7. Vae-Victus

Vae-Victus Empty Pockets

I'm not really in a position to say about how well they fire, but from what I've seen they seem to be pretty reliable and the one time I held one of their 9mm Pistols it felt pretty solid in the hand and I'm probably one of the few ones that actually likes the way they look lol although I do agree with justin44 about thinking long term. I really want to save for a Smith & Wesson Airweight Revolver for CCW , but if I had the choice between a Hi-Point and no gun....or something like a Lorcin I would definately choose the Hi-Point!

8. Urban Hermit

Took the toys out to play today. Hi Point C9 and Kel Tec P11. unfortunately didn't have alot of ammo, but I put 50 rounds through both and had no problems what so ever. At 25 yards the Hi Point was more accurate of course, and the recoil was much lighter than the P11 but that's to be expected with the size and weight difference. the Hi Point was fun to shoot.
    The P11 wasn't nearly as bad as some have made it out to be. But it's a self defense pistol and really only intended to be accurate within 15yrds or so. Next weekend I'm going to shoot from that distance and now that I've fired both guns and know what to expect...I'll focus more on my technique and accuracy The longer pull on the P11 is something that takes practice to get used to, but I'm feeling confident this is going to make an excellent CCW pistol.
    And the Hi Point is definitely worth having for a truck gun, hidey hole gun or home defense. Not a bad trainer for Sister n Law's who've never shot before either. I let Mine fire a few rounds, her first time. She didn't do too bad. But I really had to bite my tongue....I wanted to fire every single round I had and not let her or My brother fire any. (my brother...recently honorable discharged from army...2 tours of duty in Iraq. could barely keep his rounds on paper. Got out shot by his big brother. LOL)

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

On the P11 being good I think that is dependent on expectations. It does what it is designed to do but I would call it adequate but that is just me, it is mainly because there is a feature I prefer on all autoloaders so my comment is possibly less than fair.

On the Highpoint, I have never touched one handled one but in my mind and from not handling one It seemed like the negatives have already been touched on.

Blow back pistols have been around for quite awhile and some of them are very good. I have not read what the detractors that have been mentioned have said but If I were to state some negatives I already know what they would be.

I will be saying some things many of you already know but will rehash it for those not aware of some of these things.

Like all autoloaders out there timing of the drop in pressure is important. If the casing is extracted too far before the pressure drops we can have a nasty surprise as in a case failing and hot gas being sent where you don't want it sent. Blowbacks achieve this in a combination of two ways, spring tension and mass, you have a little less mass if the spring is a little stronger or you can have a bit lighter spring tension if there is more mass but in all designs I am aware of both are used. Extraction does start to take place almost immediately but it is slow enough that the pressure has dropped before too much (the thinner part) of the case is exposed.

In rimfire pistols it does not take a huge amount of spring tension and mass to delay things enough. Some very accurate guns have been built on the blowback principle such as the Hammerli pistols. to be more accurate requires a manual action such as the single shot free pistols and the like. The reason for this accuracy is the barrel stays fixed. This does not happen in pistols using the Browning principle. Now when you start moving to more intensive cartridges you start needing more mass and spring tension. Service cartridge class blowbacks have been done before. Astra comes to mind in the model 400. There are some others.

What the blowback brings to the table is a simple design and the potential for better accuracy then the Browning principle. It does not mean it is more accurate but the potential is there for it to be more accurate. The negatives of the blowbacks is the mass, bulk and weight distribution as you move up in power become design hinderances. Also all else being equal there should be a sharper recoil with the blowback then a locked breach gun.

The other autoloaders; they bring some things to the table as well. There is more than just the Browning principle, there is the rotating barrel, the recoiling barrel with toggle and I think there are some others. There are the gas autos as well that have the potential for great accuracy. The problem with the Browning principle, rotating barrels and recoiling barrels is returning to perfect barrel location again and again. Now some do a very very good job of this such as the Sig P-210, this is in a different league compared to other Sigs and most other locked breach pistols from the factory and you pay for that. This can be done with other locked breach pistols but it costs to reach that level of precision and is usually a custom job. Still no matter how close the tolerances is there is still variance to some degree on how the barrel returns to position.

While I cannot from personal experience say how the Hi Point is executed I understand the method. I can see how they can make a functioning reliable blowback pistol that might be accurate as autoloaders go for a lower price than other autoloaders. I can even see that if they put some additional cost into it it can have world class accuracy amount autoloaders. What I think they will be very hard pressed to do and it might not be possible is give is make one in a service class cartridge that has the weight distribution, in as trim of a package. I don't think they can have the dynamic handling characteristics of of other pistols that are as friendly to carry and have the same recoil impulse.

I don't think having or wanting a locked breach handgun over this blowback is elitist at all. You do get something extra for your money that the blowback cannot match. That does not mean the Hi Point cannot protect you, I actually think it can though I have not shot one. I would just prefer a locked breach gun and the handling that goes with it. To be honest I could never afford anymore what I would really like to have. I want a slightly redesigned CZ-75 built from the ground up to my specs and while it would not look any different than other CZ's what I want would cost at least three to four times as much and might cost significantly more. I don't think that is elitist either but would likely have long reached diminishing returns and I shouldn't think about it as I can't own such a creature.

I have said good things about the Hi Point in what it seems to be. I do think if you can afford something else that is the way to go but if that is all that can be afforded or justified that it would work. If I were having to buy a handgun (couldn't even do that right now) at a low price I might go a different direction still. I would likely go with a ugly beat up revolver that was still mechanically sound in order to go cheap. I have actually been in a shooting and am one of those rare ones that feel almost as well armed for most situations a civilian might face with a revolver. In some situations I would actually prefer the revolver.

10. pcsheriff1

pcsheriff1 Loaded Pockets

The rifles are actually a pretty darn good value. A nice little carbine with no recoil and pretty good accuracy. 9MM is pretty cheap and a day at the range is doable.

11. newtothis

newtothis Loaded Pockets

If your on a boat they make a great anchor.

12. RubberToRoad

RubberToRoad Loaded Pockets

I've played with the little hi-point 9mm carbine rifle and actually liked it. I've heard bad stuff about it but I had no problems with it other than its ugly and doesn't LOOK well made.

13. oakchas

oakchas Loaded Pockets

The AK 47 is not a thing of beauty either... but it works.... the carbine's only shortfall is the small mag... The handguns are good HD weapons, not a great CC weapon.... but the C9 can be concealed...

As far as reliability I know of one c9 that went 20K rounds before dying, and went back to mother to be repaired... AT NO CHARGE, and he probably got a free mag too boot...

14. zchen

zchen Loaded Pockets

They are a means of self protection for the people that can't afford greater than four or five hundred bucks for a hand gun.

15. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

On the idea of what good means. I would think that good means better than average. I will agree they seem to be better than nothing at all and would say far better than nothing at all. They maybe adequate for what they are made for. I am actually glad they exist but a blow back handgun shooting a service class cartridge I cannot see it being as good as most of the other products available. It might pass the most important criteria and that is reliability. The only reason I would not use the word good is I don't think it comes up to being average. You do not have to be superior to be useful or even average. I think good gives the idea it is better than 50% of the options out there.

16. Urban Hermit

Well, I admit, I like My Hi Point C9 for target practice at the range. It's pretty accurate and it shoots reliably. It's an inexpensive weapon to take out and shoot with friends or whoever wants to go with me and doesn't have a firearm of their own. It's reliable and accurate enough to consider a decent HD weapon. But I wouldn't want to use it as a CCW, it's just not made for that at all. At the time I bought It, I really couldn't afford anything else and was afraid waiting to save for something else would be dangerous given situation in my neighborhood. But after I got it...I did manage to scrounge some more money together and bought a Kel Tec P11. Again, maybe not the most popular gun, but it's very concealable and was still affordable. I'm the kind of person that if I tired to save for a Glock or some such, something would always come up before I could get the money together and I'd have to start over again. Eventually I hope to have a couple other pistols. My next will either be a Ruger GP100 .357 (I've just always liked them) or a Ruger LCP .380. (back up CCW) But I also plan to get a Hi Point .45 in the future too...just for shooting at the range.

17. Yikes!

Yikes! Loaded Pockets

They are affordable.

18. concho

concho Loaded Pockets

I have no experience with the pistols but their carbine is a WINNER.

19. RubberToRoad

RubberToRoad Loaded Pockets

I must agree. They are ugly, fit and finish sucks, but they shoot every time you pull the trigger (in my experience) and are accurate enough for CQB work if needed.

20. StealthChaser13

StealthChaser13 Loaded Pockets

I've heard their carbine is really accurate...