1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone ever use Paracord

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by jellyf, Feb 14, 2019.

1. jdavidboyd

jdavidboyd Loaded Pockets

Just used 5 feet of orange paracord to mark my suitcase, with a little basket weave looking knot, so I could find it among all the other look alike suitcases on the turnstile at the airport in Houston. Good thing too, there must have been 200 suitcases that looked exactly like mine.

PragmaticMurphyist and HarryD like this.
  2. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Do bears eat in the woods? LOL!

#22 Adam Ng, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Mostly for knife and flashlight lanyards.

jag-engr likes this.
  4. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Nope. Never used it during my entire military career, even when deployed, and have never needed it in my current career.

Mumbojumboo and maillet282 like this.
  5. Tech2

Tech2 Loaded Pockets

Used it to make clotheslines when traveling, and tie a guy's boot together a third of the way in to a day hike.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

Hammock, flappy tarp.

Emergency dog leads.

Paraffin lamps that need to stay upright in the back of the car.

Rucksack hanger.

Kindling stick bundling.

And most importantly right now, tied around my ankles while I hunt out the rat in my garage.

7. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I carry paracord in my jeep, great for random uses when camping hiking or what have you.

I also wrapped my backpack handle so that it had more meat to it.

8. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I actually had to use paracord for the first time recently.
    I carry about 10ft of paracord in my car. My thinking was for lashing down the trunk if need be, or improvised repairs like the exhaust clip breaking. I also carry 30ft of cotton rope for tying stuff to the roof.

I was out with a friend and we found a stray dog without a tag. The dog was something of a nuisance and I wanted to get a hold of her quickly so instead of undoing and cutting the cotton rope, I just lashed the paracord to her collar because it was quicker. It worked as an improvised leash while we found her owner. We were about to take her to the vets to get her chip scanned and I was going to use the paracord to keep her in the back seat because I didn't want her jumping around.

This is the only time I've needed to use paracord while out and about and I only grabbed it because it was quicker than cutting the rope. Honestly, I find paracord overrated and not that useful in my every day civilian life

9. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Just finished using some paracord to replace boot laces for my combat boots. All the stores are closed and our supply system doesn’t usually carry much for boot laces so I improvised

10. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

The first thing I do when I buy boots is to replace the laces with paracord (unless the originals are leather).

11. maillet282

I just need to find a better heat shrink for the tip of the laces. the stuff I have and attempted to use last night is crap.

12. jdavidboyd

jdavidboyd Loaded Pockets

Just soften the tip with a lighter, wet your fingers, and roll the soft nylon into a point.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. maillet282

That’s what I ended up doing. But sometimes it makes things easier to lace up with a bit of heat shrink to stiffen up the tip just enough

14. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Finally made a handle for this knife. Tied the knots, melted the ends...and notice I did a mistake in the wrapping...*aaaarghh*[​IMG]

#34 Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Nick4305, That Movie Guy and ran23 like this.
  15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you see telecommunications guys installing coiled orange conduit, ask them if they have any extra mule tape. It is a strong, flat webbing that they use to pull wire through the conduit. Typical breaking strengths that I have seen are 1,250 and 1,800 pounds. I'm always picking the stuff up from construction sites and find it very useful.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's hideous! I can't look at it! :eek:

...just kidding. :p Nice job on the wrap. I wouldn't have noticed the error if you hadn't pointed it out.

I am not a fan of the neck loop, though - you need to splice in a break-away of some kind! That cord could strangle you!

17. Fusilier

Fusilier Loaded Pockets

Shoelaces and bootlaces.

I usually remove the inner fibres for shoes but it's not really necessary for boots I've found.

Easy to find a colour that'll work with whatever footwear you're wearing.

I hate laces that are just a touch too short (I don't use a traditional bow knot) so it's trivial to customize the length you want.

And you'll never, ever, have to replace those laces on those shoes/boots again.

18. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I have a 100-foot coil of it in my car trunk for trunk-lid tie-downs or other unexpected cordage needs. I have used it a few times, but rarely.

19. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Used to carry 2 paracord keychain lanyards in the semi. Saved me a $250 out of service ticket and $1,500 tow bill with it. Bolt that holds the brake push rod together snapped on a trailer once. Found it by a fluke, went through my tool box in the truck, couldn't find anything to fit. Knew that only having 11 of 12 brakes working was going to be an issue at the weigh station ahead. Then I noticed my paracord, unraveled it, lined up the linkage, was able to wrap the cord through the hole about 6 times. Held together long enough to get me 200 miles to my customer and 300 miles back to fleet service, where they charged me $45.00 parts and labor for a $1.50 bolt.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

jag-engr and Moshe ben David like this.
  20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Paracord is a little different as a boot lace, but one of the things that is great about it is that it does not accumulate burrs like a normal string does.

Moshe ben David likes this.