1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone ever use Paracord

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by jellyf, Feb 14, 2019.

1. jellyf

jellyf Loaded Pockets

It seems a given, almost religious to include Paracord in some way or another in Edc kits, I just wondered if anyone ever uses it and what for..? ...cable ties and duck tape , now your taking.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I've never HAD to use it, but I carry it everywhere I go just in case.

3. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I've used it to hold down the truck lid after an unexpected chair purchase at the flea market. EDC'd in car, not on person though.

garza and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

I use it to hold an extension cord and vacuum tube lashed onto my toolbox frame. Cobra weave in the ugliest gray-blue I could find. Still looks better than the issued chain we're supposed to use and much less wear on the extension cord.

Have used the paracord on my panel key to pull belts on in a few places, when I didn't have an old belt to use. Better than yanking a fingernail off pulling on the belt with fingertips.

Used the cord from my pack to tie furniture legs together helping someone move. Thought they had bungees or straps but no dice.

Used the panel key's weight and the reach on the cord to get to JUST out of reach letters, a few times. When there's no pvc sticks in immediate reach.

I'm sure there's more but that's enough boredom for one day. Yes I'm cheating, most of that is at work.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  5. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

carry it religiously when I go to the field. I've used it to make a buzz saw with a glow stick to land a helo for med evac. also I've used it to replace a broken boot lace while on operations and in the field. not to mention I keep at least 100m in my ruck sack just in case I need to make a improvised shelter

That Movie Guy likes this.
  6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not really. Paracord isn't very strong.. Most everything I tie down needs something much stronger. It's great for decorative applications.

kikaida likes this.
  7. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

8. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

Truthfully, just a few weeks ago I had a boot lace quit on me. Found a place to sit and re-laced them both with 550. While I admit 99.9% of the time cordage is just simply there not doing anything, I'll always have some handy.
    Out camping or the like, is a different story entirely.

9. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Replaced a shoelace, used a loop to hold a door open during an office move...

I'm not in an environment where I use cordage much, so I've switched to Kevlar thread for EDC and add paracord when I'm out in the sticks.

10. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have used it to tie up pipe until I can get a hanger up several times lanyards for tools when working in a chase .

11. AndyJH

AndyJH Empty Pockets

A couple of times, I tend to like using it as shoelaces for my work boots, they have steel eyelets and eventually seem to shred apart standard shoelaces. I've had paracord laces in for well over a year now, and the only reason I'm replacing them is because I didn't seal the ends so the individual strands are showing. I prefer it now.

Also used them as make shift zip pulls and to tie down stuff carrying in my car

12. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I had this problem too. Took my boots in. Turns out over the year, the shoelaces started wearing down a channel in the steel eyelets that created burs. Those burs were shredding the laces. Had new eyelets put in and problem went away.

I use paracord all the time. Emergency belt, shoelaces, clothes line, tying stuff down, and so on. The most rewarding is when I dropped my flashlight down 10' or so between two walls. Cutting a hole in the wall was not an option. The flashlight was a 47 Quark. I taped some neodymium magnets to the end of the paracord and slowly feed it down. I had to be careful as the magnet pulled itself towards the screws/bolts in the wall. The magnet was able to grab the small keyring from the lanyard and I was able to retrieve the flashlight.

13. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I carry two loops of it, one in the back pocket of my jeans and one in my bag. Really useful for securing my pack to something when I am in public. It has a myriad of other uses too.

14. jabe1

jabe1 Loaded Pockets

Bootlaces, exhaust hangar when in a bind, replacement toolcase handle with a piece of PVC. Lead line for a guy line while limbing trees. Drop cord for pulling electrical lines.

My youngest daughter went to Africa for six months on a missions trip. I met her and my ex wife at the airport the day she was leaving. I handed her a victorinox tinker, a 1AA led flashlight, and a 25' hank of black para cord. She gave me the "what is this for" look. While there, they were out in a small village overnight and where beset by a serious deluge. She was able to lash her pack up off the ground, then the next day, she was the only one, out of a dozen or so, to be able to set up a clothes line. I don't get that look anymore....

15. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Never in everyday use. If I need to tie something, string or 70lb test fishing line works fine. If string doesn't cut it, paracord usually won't. I don't even EDC paracord anymore because I don't find it useful.

kikaida likes this.
  16. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I always replace my boot laces with paracord.My tarp ridge line is pre-tied and bundled and gets used quite often. Otherwise cable ties and duct tape like @jellyf mentioned is the way to go (I swear you could build a house with those two items)...

17. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I carry a 5 ft long "parafob" on my keys. There's another hanging from the zipper pull of my first aid kit. Also, I typically wear a paracord bracelet. I have never taken apart my bracelet, but I have used a bracelet for many things, including as a bookmark, keyboard stand for keyboards with broken feet, and as a way to connect items to my backpack or belt. Bracelets are great for quickly attaching a hat or water bottle to your belt. I have unraveled the parafobs to use them for measuring, holding doors open, adding a lanyard to my hat so it doesn't blow off my head, tying light items down so they don't blow away in the wind, tying branches of bushes up out of my way, etc. My parents have holly bushes on their yard and it is very handy to be able to tie certain branches so that they are higher so I can get under the bush to pull weeds, add mulch, add hollytone, etc.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  18. dailycarry

dailycarry Empty Pockets

I've used 550 cord to tie various items while in the military, inside tracked vehicles.
    I've used it to tie/hang items in the garage. Tie various items over the years in truck bed (use regular rope too).
    Zip ties and duct tape are handy too.

19. variable

variable Loaded Pockets

Used it a many of the other posters here have. Also have it tied around my Weber grill cover to keep it from blowing off ;)
    For the cost, size and usefulness, I cann't see being without it.

20. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets