1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else have trouble resisting impulse buying?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by dawgfan76, Mar 14, 2013.

1. CNeal

CNeal Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

......I'm sorry what was the question?

( the blast was really a Charge TTi that got listed wrong!!!)

2. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

Let's put it this way:

I seriously considered contacting a staff member on this forum, asking them to delete my account, since after registering my impulse control has pretty much gone out the window. :frantic:

FACE and CNeal like this.
  3. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

Nope. No trouble. I just don't resist.

Radley likes this.
  4. generationlost

generationlost Loaded Pockets

I am usually the same. I like to write down stuff that I want at the moment on a list. And I come back to that list every now and then to see if I still want it. This saved me from purchasing a $135 monocular because I realized I don't use my current monocular enough to justify the price for a new one. It took me ~5 months to pull the trigger on a Nato strap for my watch (an extreme example).

I tend to make purchases only when I need to. I've been using the same bag for over 3 years and I've worn a hole into it and I just realized that I should get a new one.

5. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

I've used that technique in the past. Works pretty well. I find that I do something similar with projects I've funded on Kickstarter. Many times I'll cancel my pledge because I realize that even though it may be a cool project I just have absolutely no use whatsover for the reward. That said, I do have many that I did fund even though I didn't need the reward.

6. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Making a list is a great way to remember things you might otherwise forget. If your goal is to buy less unnecessary gear, the list might make it worse, by reminding you of more items to purchase. If the list is mental and not written, then whatever slips you mind, you didn't really need all that much. If you're still thinking of that thing months later, you probably want it.

E.g., I've been wanting a Spyderco Kris and Saddleback Side Pocket Duffel (black) for years. I don't need to write that down to remember I still want them.

Last edited by MedusaOblongata, Mar 14, 2014
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

1 is too many and 1000 is not enough.

This was a trick question right?

8. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Ooh, shiny.... Gimme gimme gimme

Radley likes this.
  9. graham hodgson

graham hodgson Loaded Pockets

I don't need the 3 Wengers I just ordered, and it wasn't in my scheme of things for this year. So yep, an impulse. But I did trawl the web for the best deal, slept on it for a few nights and went down from 5 to 3. So it's a 'considered' impulse buy. And I used Paypal, which has been built up by off selling old stuff, so it doesn't feel like 'real' money.

10. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

"I can resist anything except temptation...."

I'm being very good at the moment.
    Apart from the Ecozilla....
    And the Box set of Water Margin DVDs....
    And the Box set of Monkey DVDs....
    :D

11. CUTLERY_KID

CUTLERY_KID Loaded Pockets

Um.......................... I like to think of it as therapy that if not done would make my inner knife nut depressed LOL. That said, impulse buying isn't an issue when I'm already prepping and need money for gas and dating. Plus I like having cash on me, so yeah

12. apprentice37

apprentice37 Loaded Pockets

Isn't that why we are all here?

13. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I do this as well. it keeps the impulse-buying down. it does cause the occasional credit card charge when I get impatient and don't want to wait for my gear savings to accrue, but a semiannual splurge on something nice (lionsteel tispine being the most recent) makes a far smaller dent on my finances than frequently tossing money at cheap things that won't satisfy for long.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  14. BlackOnionHeart

BlackOnionHeart Loaded Pockets

15. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Impulse buying is not a problem for me because I research almost everything I buy. There are so many thing I like, but after research I eliminate most because they don't meet my criteria. Some of the questions I ask myself are:
    "Do I already have something that performs this task?"
    "Will this perform better?"
    "Does this add redundancy or new capabilities?"

16. Modchop
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Modchop Loaded Pockets

Haha :) This.

17. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

I do have troubles resisting the impulse of buying. Fortunately, I have no money... Há!

18. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I do sometimes, but it's usually because something has been bugging me for a while and I see something that looks like it might some the problem.

I've thrown away more wallets, bags, organizers, keychains, flashlights, knives, pens, and random electronics than anyone can count.

unfortunately, it sometimes pays off, and that random reinforcement of the habit makes it strong.

the last good one was a wallet...I don't see myself buying another one for a good long time. but I almost bought a keychain pocket dangler thing with little carabineers and what not until I realized the core problem is that my car key/fob thing I'd so bloody huge that nothing I do except carrying it lose will make me happy...so making it bigger didn't make sense.

sent from a device without a real keyboard, sorry for things that don't make sense.

19. horgerg

horgerg Loaded Pockets

I don't. I can wait for months, even years for stuff I really want.
    Last time I contemplated for over a month exactly which budget (<$20) 18650 flashlight I should get. I did my research thoroughly, and learned a lot in the process. THAT is the fun, not the act of hitting the Pay Now button. :)

20. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I was talking with someone about this the other day and here's a thought. I think it has to do with transactions being abstract and not as concrete. Getting the thing delivered is concrete but the buying part itself isn't necessarily:

We don't need cash in hand to buy anymore
    credit card companies and banks are more than willing to lend and accounts can be debited as well
    the transaction is painless whereas handing over cash bills is not
    the transaction is incredibly easy but going to a bank and taking out cash takes effort and time
    You don't have to take time to think it over as you had to when you saved a pay check and went to the bank for cash
    The marketing is amazing directed these days (the pics members post don't help either!)

electronics transactions are abstract, using cash bills is concrete
    Soon we will be able to transact using a biometric ID system and all it will take to buy stuff will be to agree to the transaction.
    This might even become so automated that the "agreement" will be implied by just leaving a store as the embedded RFID tags in the products will be scanned at the exit at the same time our iris is being scanned and our accounts are debited automatically as well.