1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else have trouble resisting impulse buying?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by dawgfan76, Mar 14, 2013.

1. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

I was all out of cash 3 weeks ago, didn't stop 'the other guy' from buying 4 alox vic's, a Visconti fountain pen, and a Retro Tornado Lincoln pen since then :(

mooshisho likes this.
  2. Azwaiian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Azwaiian Loaded Pockets

Resistance is futile, give in and make the purchase. I do not know any other type of buying but to impulse buy. It's the reason my wallet is always empty.

dawgfan76 likes this.
  3. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I only spent $10 on my impulse purchases I wouldn't have a problem [​IMG]

Syclone1436 likes this.
  4. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Again...no impulse control problem...just one of these
    [​IMG]

ramjet and stax like this.
  5. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I picked up one of these as a free promotion with the sale of a Gerber knife. I use the knife as a beater and keep this mini-suspension on my keychain with my car/house keys.

6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

The thing about impulses is that... you DON'T resist. :)

7. Edamhcneb
    • In Omnia Paratus

Edamhcneb Loaded Pockets

I do a lot of impulse buying.

8. =RedFox=

=RedFox= Loaded Pockets

YES!!
    I started noticing that I'm weakest after midnight, it's amazing how many things I've bought on the 'net late at night.
    So, I had to make a new rule. I write the desired item onto a list on my computers notepad and I have to wait 24 hrs before I can buy it, which lets me sleep on it. Some things have been on the list for over a month, they keep getting bumped down by new finds, but I'll get to them. Some things do get removed from the list. Been working pretty well so far, I can move things up and down the list easily, and I have only succumbed and broken the rule a few times :oops:

Just went and checked, the list is currently at 33 items :eek:

ramjet, horgerg, Aleister and 5 others like this.
  9. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

My name is Jason and it has been 12 hours since my last impulse buy.

It was, a swisschamp.

Ironically, with exchange rates and shipping costs it was cheaper than a champion plus.

10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Does anyone else have trouble resisting impulse buying?

No. You have posted this on the wrong Forum,Sir.

NOBODY here has that kinda problem.

You musta thought this was SnipersHide Forum.
    Or its' diametrical opposite: The Yugo Owners Forum.

11. ecksdog

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

You sir are an enabler! I went to the outfitters site to check out your deal and ended up buying 2 fix blades instead.
    So yes. I am an impulse buyer. :(

ramjet and dawgfan76 like this.
  12. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I'm going to offer a slightly different perspective here.

I remember my last impulse buy and it was quite some time ago. I remember specifically thinking it would be the last one for quite awhile as I headed into darker times and rougher waters.

Everyone loves buying things and getting them in the mail.... there's no avoiding it. It's the adult equivalent of an impromptu Christmas present without the anxiety of wondering if someone got you something you'd like.

You have a job, the bills are getting paid, and everything is going fine. However, if you sit down with a couple of months (or even more) of monthly statements, I expect most people would be stupefied by the amount of money that goes out on "impulse" buys or minor expenditures.

Not preaching here... just making an observation about things I noticed when I started paying more attention to where the money was going. All those grail items that people have on their list could easily have been funded by the mountains of minor, discretionary "impulse buy" items. Maybe the impulse items will get used, but there's also a fair chance some will end up a castaway on the Island of Misfit Toys."

When the belt got cinched tighter, I started getting more and more critical about what I really needed and making more use of the things I already had. The latter didn't just include using items for their intended purposes, but also getting creative about repurposing items... tweaking their uses for my needs so that I didn't have to make a purchase that I wouldn't have thought twice about in more prosperous times.

I've seen items get discontinued with a pang of regret that I would be able to purchase them before they disappeared from the shelves, but you move on. I've got the EDC bag, but there's also a collection of odds and ends that serves as a depot of supplies that I tap into whenever I am at a loss for how I am going to get something modified, attached or otherwise integrated into my EDC.

On several occasions, I have thought of starting up a thread titled, something like "EDC On The Cheap" or "Frugal EDC Strategies". After all these years, Necessity and Invention still dote on each at family reunions.

ATB,
    Sam

Last edited by indigo_wolf, Mar 15, 2013
    horgerg, kd7dvd, WWW and 3 others like this.
  13. Perigee

Perigee Loaded Pockets

I thought the whole key to survival is s'pposed to be "Go with your gut?" What are you tryin' to do, get me killed?

14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Sometimes the "Addiction Clause" voids the "Go With Your Gut" directive... well, sometimes. :eek:

ATB,
    Sam

Hayward Cheezehead likes this.
  15. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

Hello, my name is Six String, and I have a problem. An impulse buy addiction, if you will. That's why I hang out here in the great enabler forum. Because I know you guys will help me keep it under control. Lol.

16. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

NO MORE IMPULSE BUYING! Now I buy things constantly...

dawgfan76 likes this.
  17. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I have more bags than places to put them. Didn't stop me from buying another :(

Srsly, we need a meet up so I give this stuff away!

18. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Uncanny! that's almost what I do. Instead of jotting down the name I save a picture to my desktop and sleep on it. Usually a few days later I'm thinking "Why did I save this?...oh well" [delete].

**Edit**
    My only weak moment/impulse buy was my new wallet from Phil. :oops:

=RedFox= likes this.
  19. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

No, no problem, as soon as I get an "impulse buy" flash, I put it on my list (which numbers about 2000 more items). When I have some cash available, the list shortens.

If I hadn't a budget limit, I would probably owned a castle in Scotland ...or two :D

20. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

Lol...

MatBlack likes this.