1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else have a "MacGyver kit"?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Josh, Jun 27, 2017.

1. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Surprised nobody's posted this yet!

[​IMG]

2. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

The original Atwood tool. Just sayin'.

3. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

OK guys, I've been busy so I'm finally getting around to posting some more pictures. Firstly, I don't intend this to be a wilderness survival kit or a first aid kit in any way. This is strictly pieces and parts for "Jerry-rigging" things. Quick repairs to broken items to get me by.

[​IMG]

First is some zip ties. I think I'm going to add some that are a little larger as well, but this is what I have for now.

[​IMG]

Next is some clear epoxy. You can do a lot of great repair work with some fast setting epoxy.

[​IMG]

These came with the epoxy for mixing the two parts. They are basically popsicle sticks, so they could be used for many things individually as well.

[​IMG]

I also included a small piece of 240 grit sandpaper. My thoughts on it were for roughing up smooth surfaces before epoxy use, or for smoothing rough surfaces obviously. I'm considering adding a more course piece as well.

[​IMG]

These are various types of wire that could be used for binding things or whatever you come up with. The white ones are basically really long twist ties, so they're good if you have a surface you don't want to damage.

[​IMG]

A small binder clip.

[​IMG]

Gorilla tape flat packed around an old gift card.

[​IMG]

Various sizes of heat shrink tubing.

[​IMG]

Two larger size safety pins.

[​IMG]

A small but beefy rubber band. I need to add some more sizes of these guys

[​IMG]

Lastly a small split ring.

I need to add a couple of one time use size super glue tubes and some small cordage of some kind (smaller than 550 cord for sure). I'm currently keeping this container in a pouch with a leatherman wave with the bit kit, a bic mini lighter and a small sharpie. Like I said previously, this is something that I could edc if I felt I would need it, but it's more of a bag or vehicle kit. I like to take it when we travel because it seems like something always needs a jerry-rig when we're out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Just like McGyver himself, I like to travel light. So I don't EDC anything like that.

However, I have put together an outdoor related repair kit for multiday hikes, canoe or backcountry skiing trips.

It is packed in an old pipe tobacco tin, and contains super glue, Cordura patches, adhesive patches for sleeping mats etc., extra rucksack buckles, some cord, a couple of screws and nails, paper clips and safety pins. Perhaps I'll do a break down some day...

5. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I really like the epoxy packets. Those would be great for my car kit.

Josh likes this.
  6. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

They're very handy. I use them on everything.

7. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Lol- I'm picturing your house and all of your gear...epoxy EVERYWHERE! :rofl:

Josh likes this.
  8. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

You're not far off. If you can't fix it with fast setting epoxy it's not worth owning.

9. PragmaticMurphyist

Thanks for sharing!

Have a look on the Gearward site. They have a few cordage options that might suit.

A needle and thread might be an idea too.

10. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

I've gone back to packing a McGyver kit after giving it up, just downsized to a smaller container and use more restraint. Do you need the sandpaper if you already have a file on your SAK or multitool? Epoxy packets excellent, are they putty or 'liquid'?

#30 The Slap, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  11. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Treya and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  12. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I carry a tobacco tin in my car with a few types of tape, wire, cable ties, velcro cable tidies, epoxy, super glue, different sizes rubber bands, pipe clamps, safety pins, plastic clips and a bunch of assorted screws and nails. It won't fix everything but it should be enough to bodge a repair until I can get home or somewhere to repair it properly.

Treya likes this.
  13. PragmaticMurphyist

This thread has got me thinking (always a dangerous state of affairs) - anyone carry Sugru? Whilst it isn't cheap it could be a versatile item for inclusion.

The Slap likes this.
  14. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Ok, I don't know if we're allowed to post youtube links, so delete as necessary - but this is a video personally made, by me, of my McGyver Kit. The main kit is a cigarette case, but extends to include various items also stored in my Octa Versipack, which work synergistically with the contents of the kit proper. Its long, so I wont blame anyone for not watching the whole thing...or any of it.

15. chrisr

chrisr Loaded Pockets

My MacGuyver kit consists of two portions 1) those items to repair things and 2) comfort items that I might need while away from home, none of which are life and death but make life more comfortable if you have them. Under category 1- I have the usual lighter, wire, paper clip, safety pin, binder clip kevlar thread and duct tape. Under category 2 - I have earplugs, painkiller, hair pins, women products, some quarters, tweezers, a couple of small bungee cords, matches, lighter, shout wipe, swiss army card, tiny vial of lavender essential oil (good for burns, bugbites), various first aid supplies, and a CRKT Iota (mini spork). I've been the heroine multiple times with having this kit.

Everything fits into a Tom Bihn cubelet, about 4 3/4 inches square by an inch deep.

The Slap likes this.
  16. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Earplugs here too - essential for nights away from home where unfamiliar soundscape can thwart a good night's sleep. Couple weeks ago the swallows outside my bedroom window kicked off at three in the morning. I don't know what triggered them, but they didn't stop untill dawn. Thank god for earplugs.

17. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Good video, certainly a lot of stuff in such a small pack.

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Ha! Hope the birds weren't as I've had. My upper floor overhangs the ground floor by about a foot or so. Turned out a couple of birds managed to get through the soffit and build their nest between the floors. Eggs had hatched... my home now became a sort of rookery filled with a perpetual sound of hungry chicks demanding to be fed!

Not sure what's worse. The family of birds or the tree rats (aka squirrels); who also think I'm providing public housing for them!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  19. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Some type of abrasive paper certainly can come in handy for all sorts of things, I once used a dates nail file board to get out of a jam whilst on a road trip, to clean up corroded electrical contacts basically.

The Slap likes this.
  20. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Ever see those diamond nail files? Very fine grit, thin, metal. As good as a leatherman diamond coated file I would say, and way lighter.

earthman likes this.