1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone EDC a portable jump starter in their vehicle?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by DSRacing, Mar 7, 2018.

1. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

Last December I purchased a portable battery pack with a jump start capability for my truck. I've always carried jumper cables in my personal vehicles but Murphy's law dictates no one will be around when you need a jump.

I had been researching these products for a few months and finally decided this one would be a good choice.

http://www.batterychargers.com/sl1316/

I found it on sale at my local home improvement center and I purchased a second one for my oldest son as a Christmas gift. Fast forward to this past Monday and I had the unique opportunity to assist an LE Officer whose patrol car wouldn't start. As he was rolling out his jumper cables, I grabbed the battery pack I offered to help. I was pleased to see the battery still had 100% charge after nearly 4 months. I took a minute to attach the clamps and the car turned right over on the first try.

With a happy deputy back on patrol, a few bystanders inquired about the battery pack as they had never seen one and were impressed how well it worked.

So my question is, who else has one of these units in their vehicle and have you had the opportunity to use it yet?

WillAdams likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have these in each vehicle and I also have full sized models in the trucks.
    My experience with these small Lithium Battery powered versions has been about 50% success honestly but the older school units with big batteries work every time for me.
    They are good to have for what they are and mine also can be used as 12v or 5v power packs which is handy and they also have crappy flashlights built-in that work better than having no light at all but for emergency use ultimately I just do not trust them like the older style packs.

HardToHandle likes this.
  3. ripjack13

ripjack13 Loaded Pockets

I actually have that one on one of my lists for a future purchase...

4. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Yes! I have a diesel VW jetta. They tend to start a bit hard when it gets below about 15°F. Right now I have that squared away pretty well with Diesel Heat additive and a REALLY good battery. But there's been times when I've been stranded out in the sticks in subfreezing weather. Really, even if you have a great starting car, all it takes it to leave lights/fan/radio on.

Get the lithium one. They're light, small, and don't significantly self discharge.

5. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I don't store the lithium power packs because for starters, I will probably lose the cable to it. Second, you're not really supposed to store lithium batteries at full capacity. Doing so puts them under stress, which is why they are usually shipped at 50 to 75% capacity. Storing them under full capacity will shorten the life span and significantly lessen the number of charge/re-charge cycles. Which is why I use a full size lead acid jump starter, because you are supposed to top them off once a month. I'll EDC one when temps are significantly below freezing, then take it out and store it in the garage. I just top it off once a month.

6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I have one also...was a fire drill Christmas special (round-robin gift swap).

7. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

I have one of these in each of my 2 vehicles -
    Noco Genius BoostPlus Compact Lithium-Ion Jump Starter — 1000 Amps, Model# GB40

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200676385_200676385?&utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=Automotive_Feed&utm_campaign=Feed&utm_content=gb40&mkwid=sLszNbMMs&pcrid=227043855977&mtype=p&devicetype=c&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Pvjvq_d2QIVVZ7ACh2G3gzlEAAYBCAAEgKawPD_BwE

Had them for about 3-4 years now and still jump both subarus. Used it 2 weeks ago when one battery died in the garage this winter to get my car to the shop for a new one.

Also can charge your phone, has a flashlight and strobe options. Got them after working for a roadside service dispatching company.

8. Hunter Don

Hunter Don Loaded Pockets

I have the ones from Costco, have one in each vehicle, and one strapped on my motorcycle.saved me or someone else numerous times

herosemblem, Blackbeagle and Tixx like this.
  9. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

I have a cobra and a DB POWER . Have used both over twenty times with 100% success. I was skeptical of them at first, but I wouldn't go without one now.

10. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I have 2 Anker units in my car/truck.
    A 400amp in my 4 cylinder and a 600amp in my 6 cylinder truck.
    Has helped me out when my battery started to die and I have help a lot of other folks.

Highly recommend them! I also carry cables but now why use them?

Lateck,

11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I've got one on a motorcycle too, I can recharge it whilst on the move because my top box came with a ciggy socket mounted inside.

12. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

For years, started when they were big seal leaded acid batteries. Living out in the sticks the nobody around when you need a boost is even greater. Also useful when the tractor is miles in the woods where only an atv can reach. Even worse when the atv is back there and nobody is around.

Made the swap to lithium packs and don't regret it. I do make sure it doesn't sit for long periods of time unused. It's not that hard to remember to charge a laptop or something with it to keep it cycled but more often than not something on the farm needs boosting.

A booster and a real jack (not the death trap excuse modern vehicles come with) are always in whatever I'm driving.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I keep a sealed lead-acid jumpstarter in each car; it's the 18Ah model that Costco sells. It has a compressor and an area light, as well as 12V cigarette lighter and 5V USB outputs along with short battery cables. The newest version also has a 120VAC inverter that I haven't used. You have to charge them every month and after each use, they have around a 3-4 year useful life. I've used them for rescuing others and for self-rescue and they work great. Both cars always have jumper cables but this is far easier and faster. It also lets me do things like charge cellphones, ham radios, and so on.

kikaida likes this.
  14. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

I was looking at some of these a while back. I didn't purchase one due to mixed reviews on whether or not it would work for my truck.

I drive a 2003 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with a V8 engine. Does anybody have any experience using these devices with similar vehicles?

15. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Yes, no problem with V8 gas engines, at least with the one I have. I'd be wary of any that are a lot smaller.

FLbeachbum likes this.
  16. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

The LEO vehicle I mentioned in my OP was a Ford Crown Victoria with a 4.6 Liter V-8, the engine turned over without hesitation.

chaosmagnet and FLbeachbum like this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I also have a V8 1st Gen Tundra 4x4 and would not count on the tiny Lithium powered packs to jump mine,yes I have tried and it is a mixed result.
    I have used the larger SLA jump packs though for years and all work just fine.
    I also use the packs to Air back Up after airing down for soft road wheeling with a small compressor and they work well for that too.

chaosmagnet and FLbeachbum like this.
  18. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Yeah the one in my s10 is lead acid. The smaller ones don't have enough punch to turn over the 383 v8 in it. Unless fully charged the big one struggles.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wait,WHAT?

20. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

factory 1987 s10 blazer 2.8 auto ifs 4x4

Now 383, 700r4, 700r4, SAS dana 60s sitting on some tiny 33s (had 35s). I do go play in the mud with it but not as often. Since I'm now on disability budget I can't afford the broken parts bill like I used to. As soon and the new diesel colorados start showing up in the junkyards cheap I'm going back to a 2.8 (duramax).

Got a 91 sanoma 2wd that we are putting a 4.8 ls engine in for my son when he turns 16 (6 more years). It was a factory 2.8 5 speed but I put a hopped up 3.4. It blow the doors off guys with 4.3s and still got 26 mpg. That was my daily driver when I worked.

I've had a number of them over the years mostly drag trucks or lowered on airbags. I built my first one (327 chevy luv) when I was 14 out of spare/used parts from my dad's chevelle he used to have. That one was planned on being street legal but by the time I was 16 it tubed track only.