1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you wear a different watch for different occasions?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by JonSidneyB, Apr 4, 2006.

1. felder

felder Empty Pockets

I wear a Seiko Spring Drive most of the time. If I expect to do something that might be a bit more rough than being at the office or on the computer, I wear an M-16 type II watch:

http://www.westcoastime.com/m16typidivbe.html

Lately though I've been eyeballing a SS Rolex GMT II with all black face and bezel.

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I change watches when I feel like it.

3. drwrench

drwrench Empty Pockets

I wear a Seiko Automatic Diver (Changed from rubber to seiko steel band) for my work as an Electrician and a Luminox 3100 for leisure.

4. ChipPanFire

ChipPanFire Empty Pockets

gregneedham, what's that orange pen in the picture next to your Orange Monster?

5. rik

rik Loaded Pockets

I wear a KHS Commander Titan Pro all the time. It's of the subtle, yet nice enough to be worn with a suit ilk. I have number 42 :)

6. Crusader

Crusader Loaded Pockets

I wear a Breitling "Emergency Mission" (Right) to work and on casual I would wear my "Chrono Avenger" (Left)

[img width=640 height=434]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/Crusader_69/_DSC0044_smaller.jpg[/img]

7. reinman60

reinman60 Empty Pockets

Was into watches some years ago, but not so much now. I do love watches, though.

I basically have three watches now:

1953 Patek Phillipe dress watch in 18 carat red gold which I wear less than once in blue moon.
    Rolex Submariner with date that I got from my dad for a high school graduation present. Got to send it back to Rolex for a complete overhaul. Also needs new crystal and SS band. I know this will cost a small fortune, and I've been putting it off. Got to get it done sometime soon, though.
    Timex Expedition, $27.99 from Walmart which I'm now wearing most of the time.

Go figure!

8. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Answer: No.

I have been wearing the same Seiko quartz watch for 22 years that my wife gave me before we married. The blue face Seiko automatic I wore before 1985 still works, too, but I haven't set the date and time on it in a while.

Attached Files:

9. Abouna

Abouna Loaded Pockets

Sure do. I wear this watch daily:

[​IMG]

The next occasion will be when I bust this one and buy another ;D

I love watches but find it hard to own more than one at a time.

10. Harald

Harald Loaded Pockets

I have the Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver which I basically wear every day, casual and dress, except when I go running (is this the correct expression, "go running"?). While running I am wearing a digital sportswatch, untill recently a Suunto x9i, which got stolen during a burglary last week :mad: (for some reason that @#%&XX#!!! thief didn't take the charger and cable with him).

A few years back I went on holiday in Namibia, Africa, and decided to leave the Omega watch at home, instead I brought an analog quartz Casio something that otherwise sits in my desk drawer and now has completely discharged. The reason for leaving the Omega at home was that I didn't want to encourage potential muggers (I don't claim the are any in Namibia, just a paranoid precaution).

Crusader, do you have any experience with the rescue service/function related to the Emergency Mission?

/Harald

11. Crusader

Crusader Loaded Pockets

No, Sir. Bought the watch because I thought it is cool to have some beacon thing on my wrist. :laugh:

12. Harald

Harald Loaded Pockets

Get that :laugh:
    It is not that I use my watch to dive to 300 m :relax:
    Showing off to one of my friends and telling him about the Helium relief valve he said "Oh, so you get to speak like Donald Duck?" :green:

/Harald

13. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

Tax bracket indeed - I agree with you Jon! In my effort to simplify my life in many areas I've gotten down to 4 watches (used to be more like 10-12)...

Casio GShock. Gym, yard work, playing with the kids/dogs, pool, home improvement projects, etc... With little kids and lots of honey does a CBP watch is essential and the GShock is ugly as all get out but I simply can't kill it. 10 years and one battery change and it doesn't look much worse for the wear. I've beaten it to death but it still runs great.

Seiko SKX175. Work and weekend going out - I like the "diet pepsi" ;) bezel and it has also been rock solid reliable for around 8 years now.

Swiss Army auto chronograph. Work and weekend going out - really my edc watch. I had a Hamilton khaki field chrono and traded for this one. The Hamilton was 42mm and had long lugs so it didn't fit my wrist very well. The SA fits much better. I always wanted an auto chrono and this one is a great watch.

Hamilton Emerson gold tank watch. A graduation present from my late father this is a limited edition model that I wear on a croc band when I wear a suit or tux.

That covers about all the bases for me really!

14. Ruud S.

Ruud S. Loaded Pockets

To get back to the original question;

Yes I do. A while ago I got into watches in a big way.

I've particularly gotten to like the older 50's and 60's 'vintage' (read; used) mechanical watches from high end manufacturers like Omega, and these go very well with a game I like to play: 'mix and match the accesories' without going bankrupt.

I got started with a couple of cheap Russian Poljot mechanical watches. A cheap Sinn Finanzplatzuhr clone called the Alarm Traveller, and a Buran tonneau, too see if I actually liked using a handwinding/automatic watches. The Alarm Traveller is quite big, so it does not get worn a lot because it gets in the way of my shirtcuffs. It does have a nice extra though, a handwound mechanical buzzer alarm. I wear it when the dress code is 'smart casual', e.g. short sleeves and black/silver accessories (belts, fountain pens, etc), or black tie (because it just about fits under cufflinked shirts). The Buran is an automatic ETA movement, and used to get worn alot until the Omega came along.

Then I decided I needed one more watch in gold/brown, so I got a very nice swiss Glycine watch (also with automatic ETA movement) off Ebay. This I wear mostly in the summer with tan suits and shoes. It was sold as 'new old stock', and I don't know its age.

Finally I got a 60's Omega Seamaster DeVille, because I really like simple watches with black dials. You can still tell the difference in quality with the cheaper watches by listening to the movement, it purrs instead of ticks. It's almost half a century old and still keeps great time! I call it my 'Sean Connery watch' ;D because he played James Bond, and Bond normally wears a Seamaster diver's watch. This is my favourite watch a the moment.

Then there are several 'beater' quartz watches that I wear when tinkering around the house or when exercising. The latest is a nice PVD coated copy of a British issue CWC watch that I am really pleasantly surprised by.

So, that's all of them for now, but I am saving up to get myself a handmande watch by Dutch master watchmaker Christiaan van der Klaauw (www.klaauwwatches.nl), and then I will probably have to get rid of most of my other ones, as they won't get worn anymore and I'll be broke.

All the best,

Ruud

Attached Files:

15. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I don't wear any watches. I prefer a nekkid wrist. ;D

16. magnus

magnus Empty Pockets

I'm also of the "no watch" camp. Most people are too predisposed with what time it is. I only care as much as I absolutely need to in order to not get fired and not any more than that.

17. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Yep. Love watches, but after working as a field tech for a few years and banging 'em up, I started carrying my watch in my fanny pack unless "dressed up". Then I fell out of the habit altogether.

My EDC is a digital watch/compass with a carabiner attachment I got from Rat Shack for <$20. It lives on my keychain. My other EDC "watch" is my cellphone. I have a Wenger chronograph (not sure what model) that my GF gave me for my birthday a few years ago. That goes on when dressed decently. :) When not wearing it, I keep it near in my fanny pack.

The only other watch I wear routinely is a cheap Japanese watch that a friend got for me at a swap meet for $9. It looks much nicer than one would think.

I had a couple of very nice Seiko and Citizen watches which were stolen in a burglary several years ago. Death to thieves! :evil:

//platypus

18. defusion

defusion Loaded Pockets

I have 2 watches that i really use.
    casio g-shock mudman, for EDC when i don't care about looks.
    and a nice simple titanium seiko for dressy stuff.

i have been thinking about buying a traser watch (p6500), because I'm into that simply practical military look.

i also love high end watches, but i simply cant afford them at the moment.
    my current favorite being the TAG Heuer carrera series.
    [img width=395 height=640]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa31/defusion88/forums/edc/CV2014.BA0786.jpg[/img]

also love the omega seamaster "because bond, james bond has one"

19. Abbey_Lad

Abbey_Lad Loaded Pockets

Everyday watch is either Casio G-shock or Suunto X-lander. The x-lander for when I'm in the office and G-shock when in the field.

For dress occasions a Tag automatic, and rarely for classy outings Omega Seamaster and interviews ; ).

20. izwan

izwan Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

seiko at work and leisure,
    timex expedition when going fishing