1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do You? - Turn it on each Morning & Night!

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by READYSETGO, Feb 8, 2013.

1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's all of us!

Sent from someone's plumbing using Tapatalk

2. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

actually No I dont.

I trust the ones i have with me. and i have always more than one or two lights with me and few more near by. + often spare batteries too. I try to keep tabs on how much i use each light. I change or charge the batteries everytime i know i have used it longer than briefly or atleast once a week as regular maintenance check.

on those weekly maintenance checkups i do go thru all lights that are in my use rotation, check that they work and charge/change the batteries on those that have been used. + do little clean up and such.

and about once a month i do an extended maintenance check up and light group test (i check all the lights that have a battery in them that they work, and recharge every single battery i have in them and the spares that are in use rotation.. every 3 months i charge and check voltages of ALL my batteries i can find.)

and if i take a "new" flashlight with me on any given day, and extra or additional task based light or just change of mood rotation edc light.. then i check its functionality before leaving the house. (i only add a new one or change one light of my rotation at a time.. so others i have with me are proven entities.)

but as morning and evening check ups.. no. dont do that. i do regularly use few light during the evening anyways and quite often few of them end up in my nightstand anyways. so i know they work.. and looking at the table at the moment.. i counted 5 lights on it. one of them MUST work. hah :)

3. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Nope. I don't consider my EDC flashlight a toy. Now, as often as I use the flashlight, I will switch out the battery every so often regardless since it's just a single AA battery. And I'd rather not wear out the switch by playing with it. The switch on my duty flashlight started to wear out just from normal use, so I know switches do have a lifespan.

4. joel_1071

joel_1071 Loaded Pockets

Regarding about operation, I do it also, just to make sure everythings okay with my single AAA and single CR123 powered flashlights. The Nextorch K1 is always on full off twist and the X-Glow CR123 is always on low mode. And regarding about its safety, I make sure that all the keyring and swivels are all intact with my tools, in this case with my flashlights. I wonder how often you clean your flashlight? New thread perhaps?

5. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

READYSETGO Loaded Pockets

That would be interesting! I have never clean my EDC lights. I may wipe them with a lens cloth after cleaning my glasses, but not a full on wash. Please get it started!;)

6. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nope, I see no need to. I use them often enough, and as soon as I notice a battery getting low I replace it or charge it as soon as I'm able to....plus i carry spares.

Peace of mind is priceless... :rolleyes:

7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't do function checks with my keychain (Arc AAA) or belt (SF E1L) daily.

I will do "sweet spot" checks with my SF twisties - either to make sure they're off, or that I have them set that quarter-turn for immediate access.

If I'm about to "do something" - go on a trip, go camping, go someplace I might have a very real need for my lights, I'll do a check. Especially if it's one I haven't had in my hands for a while and can't attest that nobody else has had hands on.

8. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I pretty much always click/twist on whichever one will be going in my pocket for the day. I also feel the need to fiddle with it throughout the day, so I probably kill the batteries doing that moreso than actually using the light.

whoozle likes this.
  9. dansciurus

dansciurus Loaded Pockets

Errymarnin, erryniigh...
    All the time.
    They always said I would go blind if I kept playin with it.
    Someday they will probably end up saying "I told you so"
    Oh well.

SAKplumber and READYSETGO like this.
  10. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

You are in good company - it's OK.

dansciurus likes this.
  11. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Most of my lights dont have a battery in them. Once I have selected what I will be carrying that week then it gets a battery and a test. Only three lights have batteries in them at all times. Solarforce L2P, Fenix E21 and a Fenix PD32.

SAKplumber likes this.
  12. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

Usually just before bed. My pocket light gets clipped to the edge of my pillowcase, and I don't really care if it works when I wake up. I have multiple copies in my car, backpack, and desk in case the pocket light dies. I should just get one dedicated to the pillowcase. Lol

READYSETGO likes this.
  13. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have never heard or thought of clipping to the pillow case!

Have you ever done a faceplant? If you wake in the middle of the night with a fright, are you able to grab it quicker than on the bedside table?

You have got my thinking to going.

14. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

No bedside table, but I always have a pillowcase, even in the hammock or tent. My pocket light is a cheap, 1xAAA rayovac led penlight, so the clip is slick plastic. It slides right off every time. The 3D led maglite goes in one of my slip on boots at the foot of the bed/ outside the tent/ under the hammock.

15. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

I have three lights with me daily. A Maglight 2D LED in the truck, a Streamlight PROTAC 1AA in my Proteus tool bag, and a Surefire 6PX PRO riding in a sheath on my belt. I check it every morning before heading off to work. I use it all day long so I always check to see if it need new batteries before starting the day. I use the Maglight in crawl spaces when they are nasty to keep my Surefire from getting all muddy. I only check it when I get ready to use it. The Streamlight is just a backup.

16. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Yup. It works :)

SAKplumber and READYSETGO like this.
  17. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nice! Now you have upped the ante with a picture. Thanks!

18. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I do not check my EDC light! :O I think it's cause I have four extra batteries for all the lights I carry. :)

keeper, SAKplumber and READYSETGO like this.
  19. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

That does make checking it each morning and night a little less important. I do not carry extra batteries on my person, but have spares in my Moab 10 that is usually close by.

I think I check mine early and late because I do not play with the flashlight very much during the day, as some have described.

20. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

For my theatre job I use my light consistently throughout the day. My deli job....not so much. Checking your lights is a great habit that I just haven't gotten the hang of yet. :)