1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you think being an Eagle Scouts is important later in life? (A poll for my son)

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by SAKplumber, Sep 16, 2012.

?

Do you think being an Eagle Scout is important later in life after Scouts?

1. I feel that my making Eagle Rank did make a difference.

36 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. No, I don't think my Eagle Rank made a difference.

8 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I wish I made Eagle, but didn't.

32 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Yes, I believe that had I been a Scout, it would've been worth it.

49 vote(s)
    36.0%
  5. No, I believe had I been a Scout, it wouldv't have been worth anything,

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The ACT is a graded on a bell curve. Anything over 30 is very good, but it's not a linear relationship. When I graduated in Arkansas, a 28 would get you a full ride - I did a little better, though...

kd7dvd likes this.
  2. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

I got to about 80% complete with my Eagle & my drunk dumb troop leaders never would assist me with what I needed to get done in time :/

I went on (after 18) to get certified & lead a cub scout troop for a few yrs

Its mostly just "irritating" to me that it never got done

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

3. Philbur

Philbur Loaded Pockets

I was in scouts growing up and continued on through high school, and even though I always enjoyed the camping and backpacking aspects, I never really planned to complete my eagle scout. The rank just didn't matter that much to me, and as a shy introvert, the idea of having to organize, lead, and complete the service project was overwhelming to me. My parents, however, had other ideas and effectively made me suck it up and get it done anyway. My dad and I butted heads on it quite a bit and I resented being forced to complete the requirements for eagle scout, but eventually, I finally did finish, less than a month before my 18th birthday.

I really didn't fully appreciate the value of the eagle scout rank until I added it to my resume while interviewing for jobs after college. Every interviewer, without fail, made some sort of comment on the line from my resume. Several even deviated from the main interview process to discuss their history in scouting or their appreciation for the work required to achieve the rank. This has been true for every interview I've ever had since earning the rank. I know for certain that it makes a difference, and if your son is able to get it done, it's most definitely worth the effort.

I sincerely hope that my own son (just entering Tiger Cubs) will continue with scouts and achieve the rank as well. This thread reminds me that I've never gone back and thanked my dad for making me finish it up. I'll have to give him a call tonight while I'm thinking about it.

SAKplumber likes this.
  4. Halligan

Halligan Loaded Pockets

I don't know what its WORTH, but on my short list of regrets it is one. At 50, no one remembers or discusses my Life Scout achievement, but everyone knows and still respects the Eagles among us. Eagles belong to a select fraternity that represents high achievement that only a small percentage of Scouts achieve. To me as a hiring manager from time to time the rank of Eagle on a resume indicates an inner drive, the drive to do something independently at a young age. It merits a second look and in a tie could make a difference. I hope he takes the long view and finishes what he started! Good luck.

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. larrupin

larrupin Loaded Pockets

The two previous posts hit on what I feel has been the biggest visible value for my son, which is on the resume. The intangible value, character, persistance, etc are probably more important but less quantifiable.
    At our church we have what is called the Royal Rangers which is modeled closely after the BSA. My son completed his Gold Medal of Achievement ( our version of Eagle scout, but it actually requires more merits) and has that on his resume. He has been asked about this on scholarship interviews and when he had summer job interviews and it seems to have been helpful.

Having been a supervisor at work and a leader in church activities I know that it is a small percentage of adults or young people that will stick with a long term goal until it is finished. I think that focus and completion means more to the interviewers than anything else about the award.

I know with my son he ran hot and cold on it but we always strongly encouraged him to finish what you start and he was really glad he did it.

Regardless of whether you finish or not the Scouting or Ranger type programs, if done right, really teach boys many valuable lessons on character and values. I am afraid that in this world of instant gratification for parents as well as the boys these programs are losing some of their popularity but I am still a huge supporter!

Best of luck to your son, the best thing he has going for him is that you as a parent care enough to be involved in his life and are talking to him about what matters and how his decisions in life will affect his results.

Take care,

larrupin

SAKplumber likes this.
  6. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I was in Scouts for a while but didn't stick with it very long, a long commute to private school took over.

However, I know how much work goes in to making Eagle, and have lots of respect for those who do.

kikaida and thePlumbah like this.
  7. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I am an Eagle Scout and I have mixed feelings about it. It is a very noteworth accomplishment, but I got mine because my parents pushed me to do it. I don't really consider it "my" Eagle Scout award; I consider it my parents' Eagle Scout award. I don't value it and it has had a negative impact on my interaction with the Scouting program - I try not to have anything to do with it. I think earning an Eagle means something if it is what a young man wants to do, but not if it is forced on him.

As far as practical benefit is concerned, I am sure there are many things I learned in the Scouting program that I have drawn on in life. I have definitely developed interests and hobbies that I was first exposed to in scouts. However, being an Eagle did not get me a job or a scholarship, nor did it help me advance in my career field.

As for your son's case, it sounds like he knows it is important to your for him to get his Eagle and he is smart enough to know he can use that to get back at you when you do something he doesn't like. I have no advice for you. You obviously care a great deal about your son. Make sure he knows that and make sure he really understands that you love him and will support him whether or not he accomplishes this one thing.

sungame and SAKplumber like this.
  8. bnate

bnate Loaded Pockets

I am also an Eagle Scout and earned 3 palms afterward. I then went onto Explorer Scouts into the National Guard. It was a sense of accomplishment over a long period of time. Believe that it helps to instill intrinsic belief in oneself and sense of pride. Lots of experiences that I would not have otherwise gained. Even doing my Eagle project, including the city with permits, working with County Rangers, coordination of workers, and the skills to do the actual project...they are all experiences that others don't typically get a chance to.

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. mwoj

mwoj Loaded Pockets

I am not an Eagle scout but I do intend on being one, and recommenced that your son completes it no matter how hard it is, as it will pay off in life. I may not be the best answer, as I am younger than your son, but I do think think he should complete it and best of luck to him. In our scout room, there are stats like (made up percentages) 15% of Eagles join the armed forces and 24% of Eagles become successful business men (again made up) but it is really interesting. I will get the real percentages by Wednesday night, as it is very interesting.

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Cool, man. I'd be interested in the real stats. Thanks in advance!

11. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I was in Cub Scouts for years but only in the Boy Scouts for a short period of time. My Dad died and that was that, everything went to hell for a little while. I wish I could have remained in and attained that level because I do think it is important. Your Son is that close and he doesn't see the value in it. Perhaps he is correct, in a way. Because I'm sure there are Eagle Scouts out in the world that are terrible people, absolute scoundrels. It doesn't make you a paragon of virtue, after all. So many things nowadays have been devalued. It might not mean anything to him, but I'm with his Dad, I would like for him to continue on and become an Eagle Scout. I believe it does matter.

12. Yetitrician

Yetitrician Loaded Pockets

Scouting should be about fulfillment.

Some people find that in a building.
    Some find it in a book.
    For me I find the most joy being immersed in wilderness.

If your son no longer feels the satisfaction then it is what it is.

Being an Eagle was a grand thing for me.

I know now that the best part was actually having a goal and achieving it.

The process did get a little campy, and political towards the end.

Just my .02

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

sungame likes this.
  13. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Sounds like our son knows what button to push. As a Scout Leader I have had several Eagle Scouts come back years later and thank me for helping and encouraging them to become Eagle Scout. One young man in our Troop told me he wasn't going to try to get his Eagle, he had already gotten confirmation from Carnegie Mellon University for a 4 year scholarship and didn't see the need. I spoke with him for a while and talked about some of the more intangible benefits along with the advange of having Eagle Scout on resumes. He decided to get his Eagle. Years later he stopped by to thank me, having his Eagle went a long way to getting his job at Microsoft. I've had other Scouts tell me that having Eagle Scout on their resume set them apart from other applicants and also that it has helped them on rank advancement in the Armed Forces. I've never had anyone say "I'm glad I didn't get to Eagle Scout".

balrog likes this.
  14. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I would loveto hear that one. I say this with no sarcasm and no mena intent, I would like to know the story.

15. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Didn't make Eagle, didn't really notice a difference but that's hard to tell from only one side of the fence. Being so close to a $5000 scholarship would seem like it's worth doing even when there's a possibility of a full ride.

Being one merit badge and one service project away, it didn't seem important to me at the time. Looking back it would have been nice to have made that little extra effort. I have no regrets but in hindsight, it's like going to school and then not bothering to graduate.

16. M-14

M-14 Loaded Pockets

No question - I've never regretted it.

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

DBR likes this.
  19. Philbur

Philbur Loaded Pockets

20. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

Anything that gives you goals, methods and respects cannot be bad.

kikaida and ac7ss like this.