1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you remember your first flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by MatBlack, Jan 17, 2017.

1. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

It wouldn't happen to be like this one, would it?

[​IMG]
    Duracell Durabeam 2AA.

[​IMG]
    Don't let the picture fool you. The way I exposed this, the picture makes it look considerably brighter than it actually is. It was a pretty cool light, in its time, though. I'm guessing this is from the Mid-Eighties...?

I actually had one of these, many years ago. This one is my Dad's. I have no idea why he saved it. He has a Fenix E40, right next to it, on his night stand lol.

porkchop likes this.
  2. david57strat

Me too! It's been kind of a trip down Memory Lane, for me.

We've come such a long way, in flashlight technology, even during just the past five years, or so. I wonder what will be next.

It's a good time to be a flashaholic :)

MatBlack likes this.
  3. david57strat

I refer to this as The Alkaline Blues. I think most of us have experienced this, at one point, or another, in our flashlight travels. I stopped buying alkaline batteries years ago, and am more happy for it. Thank goodness for vastly improved battery technology, which has made it possible for high performance devices to run beautifully, and more economically.

4. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Let's see...the first flashlight I remember owning was a cheap red plastic 2 D cell carried in my back pack on Boy Scout hikes. I remember it never seeming to work well. My first "serious" flashlight was a 4 D cell Maglite that I bought when I got in to Law Enforcement Explorers because, well, it was cool and all the coppers had one.

5. wazu013

wazu013 EDC Junkie!!!

I remember the first one I spent any money on back in the late 60's. It was an Army surplus Fulton. In fact I bought a few of them for a total of 8 bucks. I think one of them is still sitting out at my Brother's hunting cabin.

6. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

AA Maglite---Now a holder for my titanium toothpick.

[​IMG]DSCF0301 by ?, on Flickr

Adam Ng likes this.
  7. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

I had this EXACT flashlight when I was a kid! It might still be at my Mom's house.

Last edited by porkchop, Jan 21, 2017
    #27 porkchop, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    david57strat likes this.
  8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I think those were a big hit in Norway in the early 80's. It's the first flashlight I can remember using, but I'm not sure any of them were really mine.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, it was soon followed by another gas station favorite, a tube light, I guess it was a C cell type, with a magnetic attachment.
    [​IMG]

Not much of my gear has advanced on the same scale as my flashlights :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raggasonic, Brainstorm and sungame like this.
  9. landwire
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

As a child, I had an assortment of light producing devices. A better question could be is do you remember what flashlight started you on the path to illumination.

10. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

My first flashlight was a GI crook neck flashlight with all of the lens filters. I used and abused that thing for years and years as a kid not understanding the real significance of the item. Either way it stood up to years of service with my father and quite a few more years with me and my ramblings through the neighborhood and local wilderness. I think that old light is still floating around my Mom's house across town.

11. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

It was an AA keychain/whistle combo from an offer on an ice cream wrapper --- wish I still had it. Gone, like the rest of my childhood.

12. Matteblack

Matteblack Loaded Pockets

That would be the one....lol. Loved that darn thing.

david57strat likes this.
  13. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

I think I was in kindergarten, the light was one of those fireman helmet flashlights. I though it was the coolest thing ever as a kid.

14. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

I think my fist flashlight looks nearly equal. I think it was an old model of the German Bundeswehr. Metal housing, for the big flat 4,5V batteries and with these awesome red and green filters I liked so much :)
    And I can also remember such a red/white colored flashlight with a magnet. Hm, this one I have seen a while ago somewhere in the basement as I know.

Brainstorm, sungame and aicolainen like this.
  15. PJ

PJ Loaded Pockets

I think my first one was a gray plastic Radio Shack 5 D cell freebie. It lasted until the first drop.

My first real flashlight was a 3 D cell Kel-lite I got when I started delivering pizza. It lit up house numbers pretty good for back then, early '80's.

16. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

... and the Hellesens batteries!

17. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Late 1950s, Black and silver tin bodied Ever Ready. In those days, in the UK, they were called torches. Ran on two Ever Ready U2 batteries, which nowadays are called D cells.

WillAdams likes this.
  18. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

this thread got me looking, and I actually found Dad's twin to mine... his was in better shape

[​IMG]

Karmakanic, WillAdams and sungame like this.
  19. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

Early to mid 80's is about right. I can remember taking one to camp in 83-84.

20. Brainstorm

Brainstorm Loaded Pockets

Excellent thread, @MatBlack ! And yes, I do remember! :)

Glad to see several here had the stamped metal flashlights with the 4.5V flat batteries. I remember borrowing this type from my father and grandfather. Batteries would have been either Varta or Leclanché (?) brand. When I finally got my own, it was a mini version of these, with a 4.5V pack made up of 3x AAA instead of 3x AA cells in series. I loved that little flashlight as much as my Swiss Army Knife! :D

Many years later, I think it might have been for my 14th birthday, my grandmother took me to the nice knife shop downtown and got me a 3x DD cell Maglite. I had been eying it for ages, and it cost a fortune, 3-4x as much as they cost now (this was a US import in Switzerland). My buddy's dad was a policeman, and I had seen a Maglite at his house before. Still have that Maglite, although it no longer works. Bought some other Maglites over the years, but I've obviously moved up to some modern LED lights the last few years.

MatBlack and aicolainen like this.