1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you have an in-car safe?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Blackbeagle, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Blackbeagle
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

For those times when I go to non-permissive sites, I have to drop anything they may consider offensive and leave it in the car. I've been leaving it in the center console (covered) or in the glove box, but my neighbor's car just got broken into recently and I've been considering installing a safe or lockbox for a little more security. Figure I could also use it for wallet/watch/phone if I go to the beach and other things like the dash cam I want to get.

Has anyone else done this? Did you install under the seat, in trunk, in the glove box? Do you consider cable sufficient or did you bolt/glue down?

2. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have a small lock box it cabled to the back of the passengers side front seat .. slides under the seat and is nearly invisible plus the car trash can sets there. I only use it when I have to go in some place that doesn't allow CCW. And I cannot get out of using their business. I don't make a habit of leaving stuff in it for hours

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a few boxes designed just for this that I can move between cars as needed that secure either by bolting down and/or with steel braided cable.

I have several cars and I also rent vans for jobs that I do way out of town and it is nice to be able to move them around when I need to.
    Also good for Hotel use.

I have the versions with keyed lock mainly because they are cheaper but I also try to shop for better built or at least heavier duty seeming models for I think obvious reasons and so far my favorite are the Master Lock model sold here at Home Depot.
    They offer the same unit with a built-in combination lock but either is nice and pretty crazy heavy duty and well executed compared to others and I looked around a lot before choosing too.

My town also sort of spans 2 states and no carry is allowed in any way even locked in a car in the other state so I drop off or leave things at home if I need to go there,what a pain in the butt.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have a little lockbox that i can mount inside my cars trunk (nuts inside the lock-box with those smooth square neck bolts mounting through the chassis). Its used for valuables when I go car&tent camping with the missus mostly. Not the highest security solution but its easy to install and remove and good enough for my purposes.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  5. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I have a safe just big enough for my CCW cabled to the front passenger seat. IN is a no-carry-at-work state so it stays there at work and comes out when I get in my car.

6. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

I have the Gun Vault Nano Vault cable tied to my driver seat. Fits underneath neatly.

7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

No, but I'd like to for a spare pistol, mags, and some cash.

8. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I currently use a Gunvault cabled under the front seat. I haven't found the ideal spot to permanently mount it, so the cable works for now. The plus side of being held by cable is that it travels easily if I need to move it. For example, if I'm staying in a hotel or something, and still need secure storage, I can take it in without having to disassemble anything major in the vehicle.

9. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I have a drawer bolted down creating a false cargo floor in my blazer that is lockable. It's big enough to fit an AR when completely empty, does that count?

MedusaOblongata and ran23 like this.
  10. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

In one of my trucks, I have cut the center console to fit down over the smith & wesson "quickdraw" safe. The console still functions as it should, but the safe opens with a twist of the knob as long as the numbers are on the correct combo.

It's also a great option for if you're pulled over in a non-friendly state because you can spin the tumblers without having to fumble with anything and suddenly your firearm is compliant with even the dumbest state laws, and you can forget the combination if that suits you.

[​IMG]

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  11. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

i have snap safe, with the cable wrapped around the passenger side rails, mostly for pocket dump when i have to enter a high security area, (jails, court house, schools).

12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

That's a neat/great idea I must say, do any vehicle manufacturers offer a similar secure box/safe as a factory option I wonder?
    It doesn't have to be for a firearm, I'm thinking for any valuable item really, many vehicles have a locking glove box but they ain't exactly strong are they. I don't know of any vehicle maker who offers such a thing in the UK, maybe the States would be the ideal market place for such an option.

13. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

I have a pacsafe safe type bag cable locked to an anchor point in my boot.
    If I'm carrying sensitive stuff the safe bag goes in my EDC pack then locked in the car when unattended.

It's not fool proof but it would slow down or prevent a casual attempt

14. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

Not that i've seen. they leave that stuff to the aftermarket.

earthman likes this.