1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you have a packable waterproof insulated coat ?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Jay-uk, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

As per title what's your go to packable coat for most conditions and Why?
    Thanks

2. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

My go to is the Arc'Teryx Atom Jacket (without a hood), there is also the Arc'Teryx Atom Hoodie (which is the same thing just with a hood). Anyway the Atom is my go to winter jacket, I usually layer with a hoodie or a quarter zip sweatshirt underneath, that keeps me comfortable down to about 15F (-9C). It is super lightweight, breathable, and packable, as well as wind and water resistant. My biggest problem with winter jackets is temperature regulation. The Atom has a breathable Polartec Power Stretch fabric that runs down either side of the jacket allowing it to breath and keep you from overheating when you go indoors for a short period of time, or if you are highly active outside. I usually hate down jackets because of the bulk but the Atom isn't bulky, while still providing awesome insulation thanks to the Primaloft fill. I would say it is a "jack of all trades, master of none" jacket. Its water resistant but not water proof, its wind resistant but not wind proof, and it provides a down insulating layer but it is by no means a highly insulated "puffer" jacket. For me it does a great job of covering most of my bases and takes any abuse I throw at it.
    --Ben

Jay-uk likes this.
  3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think the liner of my Marmot something or other 3 in 1 would smash down pretty well. However, the she wouldn't. Admittedly, I've never packed a coat.

kikaida likes this.
  4. FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge Loaded Pockets

When I think packable I usually think separate waterproof and insulating layers. Typically a lot more flexible for varying conditions.

5. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I have separate stuff. A Columbia down jacket with a hood and a Columbia pfg rain jacket. I could bring both if needed

6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have an Under Armour 3-in-1 parka; it looks much like their current "Porter" jacket but my fleece is a different color. The shell is their "Storm2" material on the outside with their "ColdGear Infrared" lining on the inside, making it much warmer than a normal rain shell by itself. It's proven to be 100% waterproof. With the zip-out fleece it's very warm indeed, suitable for -10deg F with layering and an appropriate hat, face covering and gloves (all of which I keep in its pockets). It's not the warmest parka I've ever owned but it works well other than in Summer, and packs down into in my small duffel bag with up to three days' of clothes for most of the business trips I go on.

The fleece is "Storm1" rated by UA, but I've never worn it by itself except indoors.

While UA calls it "loose" my size is XL in almost everything other than this, which I bought in XXL and fits fine.

I've had it for over a year and so far it's held up extremely well.

I have a well-loved Columbia rain shell that packs down much smaller for warmer weather.

7. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I have a North Face rain jacket and a fleece liner that zips in when it is cold. Will crush down to a fairly small space. I also have one of their "vests" (aka "gilet") that zip into the jacket, however this tends to get used standalone.

8. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I use a packable down vest, and a separate shell.
    This gives me versatility and the warmth I need.
    Once temperatures go below -10C then things change a little.
    The important thing is to have a hat, gloves, and to be layered in the first place, so that your extra layers work, but at the same time take up minimal space.

9. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

I'm hoping this thread will turn up some ideas for me.

I'm comfortable to about 35 with no jacket on for short (less than an hour if not working) periods of time, so for me, but when I know I need to be prepared for worse than that (either much colder, and much longer duration) then I pull out the Carhartt J140. It's the opposite of packable, but it's near indestructible, US made, and makes -10* about as comfortable as I can imagine if you're not being super active.

I guess I approach it the wrong way, but I look at it like if short sleeve t shirts cover me for 80* (35-115), I need a simple solution to cover me for the rest.

I'd like to find a lighter weight/more packable solution, but so far just using a fleece or similar layer hasn't been warm enough to be worth carrying.

10. dragonbeat

dragonbeat Loaded Pockets

Lightweight packable rain jacket.... depends what you want to spend. I would always opt for a separate insulated to waterproof jacket. Something like the Outdoor research helium 2 is waterproof and packs down to the size of a coke can. I have a bunch of insulated jackets for whatever the weather is like. If you want a good packable all in one. I’d recommend the outdoor research floodlight. It’s down filled And waterproof so you have that bonus of down being able to squish down to small sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys lots to think about

12. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Tagged.

I've been looking at so many different brands of insulated packable jackets, my head is spinning. I've looked at REI, Duluth Trading, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, TNF, EMS and a few others. I still don't know what to buy.

Jay-uk likes this.
  13. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Paramo bentu is my goto combination fleece and outer shell aside from the depths of winter it's perfect year round and packs down really small for carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk