1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you hate how noisy your keyrings are?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Deaths Head, May 20, 2006.

1. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Due to the nature of this thread, I am guessing what we have on our keyrings are more jingly than other "normal" folks.
    I just bought this:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1610&d=

Basically just a strip of nylon with velcro that wraps around your keys and gadgets to keep them silent.  It is cheap and effective.  Also, it doesn't add too much additional weight and bulk to my present keyring.

What do you guys think or what do you guys use?

2. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

Great idea! I'm going to buy one...

3. Malcontent

Malcontent Empty Pockets

This is what I have been looking for, and didn't know it. Thanks for the link.

4. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

5. 1331

1331 Empty Pockets

Carried a similar one for years in my pocket. It was made from heavy canvas and eventually wore through so I made one from thin leather, it sort of molded itself around the keys. Certianly worth having especially if you need to be in "stealth mode" with keys hanging on your belt.

6. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

When I was in the scouts 25 years ago, we used rubber bands, ranger bands(cut up bicycle inner tubes) or strips of cloth wrapped around items like keys, utinsils, cookware, tent stakes, etc... that tend to rattle when hiking thru the woods. You had to be especially steathy on 'snipe' hunts. ;) For a cheaper alternative to the Blackhawk item, you could use a velcro cable/cord wrap for securing your keychain items. I had bought some to hold loops of paracord(bad idea). They come in various colors and lengths and they're cheap and easy to find, try wallyworld.

[​IMG]

7. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

But is that whole thing the key silencer or is that a Max Keeper, with the logo on the inside and the part hanging from the key ring is silencer?

I've been looking for this for a while too. I have two remotes on my keyring, and they make a lot of noise, let alone the rest of the keys. I had been thinking of making a little spandex pouch that would hold the keys together snuggly so they wouldn't rattle, but it seemed problamatic, at least in my mind. I use a Keyper with two rings on it. The ring in the front is the one that holds the car and house keys. The second ring holds the remotes, a Freedom Photon.

I think I'll be going to Walmart for some velcro straps. I might get a BlackHawk silencer later, but I don't think I can wait for the mail! ;)

8. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

You can get the velcro at Wal-Mart or Target now and order the Black Hawk Silencer later like you said. The Black Hawk is only $10 so it is not exactly a big ticket item. The velcro straps has many uses around the house anyways, so nothing goes to waste. O0

9. alwilliam

alwilliam Loaded Pockets

Key Silencers are common on duty belts and other belts also ;D

10. 1331

1331 Empty Pockets

One example, very simple really.
    [​IMG]

11. Sunnie

Sunnie Loaded Pockets

A big rubber O-ring -- the sort of thing sold in plumbers shops -- around mid-size tool keyrings works well to keep things together, easy to grab with one hand, and to dampen noise.

I have one around my leatherman Micra, Arc LS, traser glowring and mini pencil. The whole lot hangs from a small carabiner and there is a pill fob hanging separately off the other side.

Sunnie

12. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

Is that a commerically available piece of kit or did you make it?

13. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

There are several styles available out there. You might ask a LEO where the local police supply store is, or some Army/Navy stores have a law enforcement section that might have them. Here's a couple of links.

Bianchi key holder

silent key holder

14. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

15. Redhed

Redhed Loaded Pockets

Here's another variation on the theme (in neoprene):

http://www.cellsafe.com/keycover.html

I have used these before and they work well (still got it - in the keychain building stuff in my closet :(). However, I now use those slip on key silencers (color coding helps too) and just live with the faint clicking (no janglin' or jinglin' here!). It becomes tiresome to turn something inside out or wrap something around the keys several times a day.

16. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Cool! Thanks for the link. Didn't know they have those. I wonder which I would like better. These or the BlackHawk I have right now?

17. Redhed

Redhed Loaded Pockets

Unless you have a tiny little pile of keys (and let's face it, no one here does!), the neoprene deal was almost a two-handed operation. So I might vote for the Blackhawk if you can get away with the "cop" style of it.

All the pictures on Blackhawk's site are too :censored: small. Someone needs to give them a clue.

18. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Couldn't agree with you more.

19. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

I really like this neoprene one!

todd

20. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Those elastic fabric-covered hair bands would work nice too.

[​IMG]

They make them nice and thick these days and you can get them without the little metal band holding the ends together.  I think they call those "ouchless" becuase there is not metal part to get your hair cought in.

In use:
    [​IMG]

Not in use:
    [​IMG]