1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you feel that capitalism has failed the EDC bag market?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jcw122, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

This is essentially the same conversation we were having here, only rephrased slightly.

You may be willing to pay $300-500 for a pack, but all I ever see on forums are utterly parochial comments along the lines of “Whoah! $X amount of dollars for a pack?! Geez I had no idea packs could be that expensive!”

:brickwall:

But of course they all have a laundry list of requirements, but when someone posts a link along the lines of what they want, they can't fathom that quality, made in a 1st world country will cost more than that purchased at WalMart book bag.

2. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

Capitalism has failed many markets, as its goal is to serve itself primarily by providing the most goods at the largest profit margin. Those goods that don't have a large market or a decent profit margins are unaddressed. It is capitalism that drives the off-shore manufacturing of goods, emphasizing the profit margin. It is capitalism that drives advertising to convince us that we want or need something we may actually don't want or need. This is not to say that there are no USA manufactured goods that fill niche markets such as many EDC items, but many of these are almost hobbyist companies where the owner and/or workers are producing a product that they like or love and are willing to operate on paper thin profit margins for the sheer satisfaction they get from producing or providing those goods. Don't get me wrong; I am not anti-capitalism. But I know that it functions for itself and is accordingly self-limited and self-interested. The fact that capitalism serves any particular individual's needs approaches coincidence.

3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

This thread is pretty existential for this board. I love it. Nicely done. Carry on....

4. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

I had several rucksacks fail throughout high school, college and graduate school, usually the bottom end of the shoulder straps tore loose. I even had them repaired and had them fail again. I'll keep my Kifarus :)

5. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

I don't really care what anyone's opinion of Maxpud is, I don't own stock in the company or anything. But for a competing data point, I became aware of their gear from Afghanistan combat veterans and an ex Force Recon contractor who've used it in theater, so to speak and it came very recommended. But they do use a variety of brands.

<shrug>

6. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

The market responds to what consumers spend their money on. As far as EDC goes that obviously says a lot!