1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you EDC extended (baseplate) mags?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by LivingUpNorth, Mar 31, 2017.

1. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

It seems that adding aftermarket magazine baseplate extensions is all the rage these days. More and more often, I see pics of kitted up pistols, often with silencers (super cool), red dot sights (also very cool), and almost always magazines with extended base pads. I can see using one of these for competition or maybe even duty carry, but I have to wonder: Do people routinely carry these on their CCW pieces? Maybe not as a primary, but as a reload/backup mag?

It's been my experience that the pistol grip is the hardest part to conceal...I can only imagine an extended mag is even harder. Or maybe this trend doesn't apply to concealed carry? I'm not judging, I'm truly curious. After all, you can't have too much ammo (except maybe if you're swimming :p). Why do you have (or don't have) extended mag baseplates?

2. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

No need for me. My p320 subcompact already has to have neutered magazines to be legal in my state.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  3. larcher75

larcher75 Loaded Pockets

I carry a glock 19 15+1 but have some glock 17 mags I can carry as spare that make it 17+1 makes it nice so I don't need an extended baseplate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LivingUpNorth and nicknapp like this.
  4. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

anecdotal... a former student of mine was a Hernando Fla Deputy....serving to a fugitive warrant, was shot at through the corner of the suspect's aluminum trailer ... as he moved to cover, a round hit the base pad of his Glock, which dumped all the cartridges... he shot the perp with the one in the chamber then reloaded...hit the bad guy a couple of more times... bad guy lived, was extradited to California, though charged with attempted murder on a police officer in Florida... California failed to notify him when he was released after serving 1/3 of his sentence... he does not have good things to say about California

I have hit barricades in USPSA matches, knocking off the extended pad... do not use them on my carry pistol, but do have them as reload for the G17 when in the truck... YMMV

5. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

Great stories. I think this sort of stuff happens more than people think. I also heard a police officer tell of a time he caught the standard baseplate of his mag getting out of his patrol car during a stop of an armed robbery suspect. He very quickly had the world's most expensive single shot 1911. While these stories are anecdotal, they are the reason I carry at least one spare mag. I most likely will never need twenty rounds or more of ammo for my carry gun, that doesn't mean I won't need a spare mag.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

6. larcher75

larcher75 Loaded Pockets

See things like this can happen even if it's rare and as you said are a perfect reason to carry a spare mag. Most handgun issues in modern guns are mag malfunctions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

No; however, I carry a revolver with a distended cylinder.

Wishoot likes this.
  8. tabbywmollya

tabbywmollya Loaded Pockets

I own a Glock 43. The oem mags are 6 rounds single stack. I researched and found Vickers tactical has +2 extensions. They're 9.95 each. So I have 2 of my three mags converted to 8 rounds. Mag number 3 I left flush mount so I can EDC my 43 and not print.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

LivingUpNorth and jkwithawave like this.
  9. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

When I carry my Glock 19, my extra mag is a 17 rounder & a 15+2, but I usually carry the gun with a flush 15 round mag. I typically carry extended 8 round mags in my S&W Shield 9, including in the gun. If I carry my Glock 30S for work, it's with the 10 round mag (Small extension). If not working, then with the flush 9 rounder. I typically carry 1-2 of the 13 rounders with me.

I used to carry a Glock 26 concealed, usually with a +2 mag plate. While it did cause the grip to be as long as the G 19's, it did conceal better because it made the grip's rear area angled more than on the G 19.

As much as I've worked conceal carry, I've never lost my rounds or damaged anything. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I would think it's rare. However, it only has to happen ONCE at the wrong time & it could be the last time.

10. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

other than sights, I don't monkey around with add on's. If I simply must have more available ammo, I will carry another magazine.

0dBm likes this.
  11. bakpackr

bakpackr Loaded Pockets

No regular mag for carry, NeoMag carries the extended mag in my pocket.

12. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

No. My USPc mags come with the extended baseplate, but it really isn't needed and can cause printing so I swapped the baseplate out for flat ones.

13. ca survivor

ca survivor Loaded Pockets

I always have the smallest magazine in whichever gun I carry and a + when is available for the that gun in particular, now days I'm carrying a Shield .45, 6+1 and the 7 round mag, in a mag carrier.

#13 ca survivor, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017