1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you EDC an mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Sly, May 12, 2016.

1. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

I like the Zune, I don't know how old it is but it works really good, it will sync up with the computer whenever I plug it in, to charge it. I could if I would work at it put all my cd's into it to fill it up more I'll just have to work on it. Plus since I have the 2 apple players I can import my Zune catalog into iTunes with no problems. The shuffle I have is handy for the size, I was told it was a special edition one, it is only 5/8" wide and about 1 1/4" long not even 1/4" thick and all stainless with my name etched on it so right now I have 6 hrs of music on it.

2. specv510

specv510 Loaded Pockets

I just use my phone, but I sit in a cubicle all day so it stays charged.

JayHawk likes this.
  3. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

Just bought a Fiio X1 to replace the iPod Nano that's been dying on me for the last 18 months. The Fiio takes a MicroSD card so I've got all of my music on there, not just "only what fits on the iPod." Great sound quality and the user interface is good too. Loving it so far. Though for sheer portability the old Nano would fit inside a matchbox...

BowmanJW likes this.
  4. Exwai

Exwai Loaded Pockets

I used to carry an iPod shuffle until the charger broke. It was a good simple player without an lcd screen to distract you but iTunes was horrible. Sure it was easy to load songs but if you are far from your computer and want to add songs then you're screwed. Any mp3 player that can load songs on a folder like on a thumb drive is so much better.

5. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

I am getting a Fiio X3 G2 along with a K5 Amp for desktop use later this month, what I like the most about the product line is that it is not tied to any specific OS and you can upgrade the storage as needed.

Also the fact that it is able to be charged by micro USB cable from either a wall adapter, computer or USB battery bank.

BowmanJW and Rich73 like this.
  6. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

So I need to check out zune and fiio! I wasn't sure what the options were besides iPod... Apple has just taken over!

7. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

I have a cheap one with 4 gb of music on it plus cheap (but OK) sony earbud. I carry it in my travel bag. The good part about it, it works on AAA battery, so anywhere in the world I can have a bit of music. If it ever get lost or stolen, I would lost about 15$... When I really want good sound, I use my ipod nano.

Sly, garza and Exwai like this.
  8. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I was lookin at the fiio's and wow! I may end up with one. My question on the fiio is this: do you just drag and drop music on it or does it need a program like iTunes or the now dead zune?

9. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

Pretty much it uses a Micro SD card (or 2 for the X5) you can connect it to a computer using a micro USB cable and it is supposed to show up as a mass storage device that you can drag and drop files from.

Alternatively you can pop out the card and use a card reader for faster transfer.

Sly likes this.
  10. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the iPod nano 7. The price was just too good to beat. I still hate iTunes, but with 4 days worth of music on the iPod I can stay way from iTunes for a pretty long time, I mean I've had the same CD in the car since I bought it, which was about 6 months ago lmao

11. wallydogg

wallydogg Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

I love my FiiO X1...I paired it with a FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier and put in a SanDisk 64GB Class 10 micro memory card. The internal battery lasts over 8 hours and with the memory card, the FiiO holds plenty of music..Drag and drop baby!!!!..screw you ITunes..ha. Looks like a bomb when you walk into a store so BE CAREFUL.:bomb:

Sly likes this.
  12. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I'm still dreaming about a fiio, but perhaps after my soon to come daughter gets out of diapers lol

13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have only one true EDC mp3 player and thats ny trusty old iphone. Its a mere 16gb model but its all there for the MP3s (i dont do any smartphone things on it because iphones by definition are not smartphones) so its not bad. Sound quality is acceptable. When i need to travel alot i bring the big boy;
    [​IMG]
    Complete rebuilt/modded 2nd gen with a nicer dac than the iphone so better quality and fits quite a fair bit more MP3s and some lossless stuff.

For staying with friends/hotels i like to listen to music from this semi-portable hi-fi setup;
    [​IMG]
    iMod, direct out to very good amp with my nice old shure iems (and some nice simple AKGs when i dont feel like having stuff crammed in my earcanals). I can also hook the amp up to my smartphone as the DAC in there is fully android compatible.

But like i said, those last two are not my EDC as i actually dont carry those that often, the iPhone tho is always in my pocket and i always have a set of earbuds on me.

Sly likes this.
  14. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

That's quite a setup! I'd like to get into better quality sound, but cash is strapped for when baby arrives in late june/ early july

15. HeadedToTexas

HeadedToTexas Loaded Pockets

No.

Sly likes this.
  16. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

Well you should. Before the local stores make them extinct haha

thekapow likes this.
  17. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Me too. I have a green iPod Nano that I take to the gym with me.

Sly and thekapow like this.
  18. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I carry an iPod Touch 2nd or 3rd gen, I can't remember. On it's second battery, I've had it for about 6 years. I use it mainly to listen to a handful of podcasts. If I keep it in airplane mode, it's good for a week or so on a charge. I love the fact that I can plug it in, turn off airplane mode and go to sleep. When I wake up, I have a full battery and a weeks worth of fresh listening.

When this thing dies, I don't plan to replace it. I'll just use my phone.

Sly likes this.
  19. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I have an ancient Creative Zen something or other in a drawer. Early hard disk based model. Don't even know if it works anymore. Also a little Sandisk Sansa my wife appropriated for herself. Now, I use my phone for everything. I've got Plex server on the HT/media center computer, so I can stream all of my local stuff. Between that, Amazon Prime Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn Radio I've got music covered.

Sly likes this.
  20. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

If I had unlimited data then I'd have no use for my nano other than a back up device.