1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you EDC an mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Sly, May 12, 2016.

1. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I carry an old Apple iPod shuffle everyday. It holds an amazing amount of my favorite music, is about the size of a quarter, and will play on max volume for 8+ hours.

Do you EDC an mp3 player? If so whatcha got, I may be looking to upgrade to something that I can delete and pick songs on the go.

Pics welcome as always!

2. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

I used to carry a iPod Shuffle aswell, untill it fell on the floor and stopped working. The mp3player itself was great, but iTunes not so much. Help me god, how i hated iTunes :D

smokingfish likes this.
  3. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I still hate iTunes... So hard.... But the player itself has been great, although my worst one died a horrible tragic death. I had it clipped onto the clutch cable of my motorcycle, headed to work, reached up to change songs, on the reach back to the grip my watch snagged it, pulling it off of the cable, onto the interstate at approx. 70...75...80......ish miles an hour. I've never seen something reduced to its smallest components so quickly.... I'm sure the semi truck behind me never saw it hit the pavement lol

Rainy likes this.
  4. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I carry a little iPod every day. I use it for my yoga playlists for classes. Funny, though, I buy most tunes of Amazon or some of the sites where musicians upload their music for purchase directly.

5. Zangetsu74

Zangetsu74 Loaded Pockets

Got my tunes on my smartphone's sd card.
    I do not want to duplicate too much electronic devices with similar function(s)

Gary Gross likes this.
  6. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Agree. I have no smart phone, so I try to keep things on the player or on laptop, and when I need space freed, I send it to the external hard drive. And then there is this cloud thing that I allow only music to drift to -- nothing else, but only some things are there, and I can't be bothered to put the rest up there...

7. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

Not a dedicated mp3 player, my phone has pandora and six gigs of mp3 files on it

8. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I have a great phone that plays mp3s all day and night if I wanted it to, the only reason I carry my iPod is to use at work, where I can't have my phone out but I can hide the little iPod shuffle under or around the radio I use. I'd still rather have a player with more options that isn't Apple. I like it, I just hate iTunes

9. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

I am using an iPod Nano 7G, daily during travel, to keep the phone battery full.

Sly likes this.
  10. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

iPod Touch gen. 6, 32GB..., replacing a gen. 3 Touch 32, killed by a battery replacement gone wrong:mad:

11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I am currently using the last generation of the iPod classic - enough capacity to hold my (currently) 80 gig library, decent battery life and not overly large - the majority of the time it is commuting with me and sat next to me on a desk, so being a little larger than some has never been an issue, and has always been easily offset by the positives.

Alternatively, if I do want to go light weight, I also have an iPod nano (the square touch screen one, whichever version that was) which is absolutely tiny, but comes with the down side of smaller capacity, lesser battery and a tiny, tiny touch screen interface.

Normally I try to avoid using my phone for stuff like this - modern phones have poor enough battery life as it is, so it is nice to keep entertainment separate from the communications, and I have so far found that the dedicated players I have owned have just worked better as players - nicer interfaces, more capacity, etc...

iTunes I have never really had a big issue with - it gives an easy way to access my library of music (thought held separately, not in some black hole of apple specific format and organisation), is easy enough to use and is pretty simple to run the iPods from (both set to be worked manually, so I just drag and drop the albums I want over).

Sly likes this.
  12. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I'm using a Phillips GoGear. It's several years old, it's 4g storage requires plenty of switching music in and out and it's controls are getting a little finicky (One press will move two or three songs over in the menu). Still, the small size is great and it's easy to wear on an armband while working out/doing actual work.

13. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

yes i have an ipod nano what ever the newest gen is. i carry it in a small camera case. helps me to study or block out white noise

Sly likes this.
  14. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I have been considering the nano myself. I messed with the newest iPod touch yesterday at the store, and while it is nice, I do not need a second phone that doesn't have phone service. That thing is insane, you might as well just buy an apple phone at that point. I feel no need to play games, take pictures, or play online from my mp3 player lol. I already have a phone for that!

15. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Yeah an iPod nano latest gen. I felt it was the only decent option and I dislike Apple. That said, its a great mp3 player.

Sly likes this.
  16. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

Hmmmm, now I need to find one for cheap lol

17. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ipad nano in the gym because my phone is too bulky when training. I like it because it weighs nothing and holds a battery alot longer than my phone when playing music.

TKC likes this.
  18. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I work 12 hour shifts and have music playing throughout, my nano is just a hair under half way charged when I leave. The battery life is great and it charges very quickly.

19. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

I have a Zune player with 120 gigs but just don't carry it much, an older nano I use sometimes, and a shuffle that I use most, especially when I go to the mall with the wife.

Sly likes this.
  20. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

Chas353 I was thinking about keeping the shuffle just for that reason haha! How is the zune? I hear people talking trash about them, but only because they aren't Apple product. I don't mind Microsoft, plus it would be easier to put music on if I can just do it from the desktop of my computer rather than using iTunes or a different third party program.