1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you edc a iPad mini?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by MicroMike, Aug 17, 2017.

1. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Maybe you'd have to pay extra per month to be allowed to access the 4G network? I kind of found that out with EE, my PAYGO sim originally came from Tmobile, no doubt EE would hook me up to this connection if I were willing to change/pay more money via another PAYGO package. They can stick it. Lol

2. Cokehauler

Cokehauler Empty Pockets

I edc my iPad mini 4... it has its own SIM card (costs me 10 a month to share my data)

It’s the 64 gig model, I use it for my Spotify and to control and edit my GoPro videos on the road (use my GoPro as a dash cam)

People laugh and say that’s the biggest phone ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. flipside4cp

flipside4cp Empty Pockets

I take my 9.7 Air almost everywhere but will probably get a Pro this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Yes, more or less since the Mini first came out (upgraded to a 4 when I bent the screen of old one).

I am away from home a lot and the mini is my main source of entertainment, mostly books or video. Size & weight makes it easy to slip into my bag, and to use on a plane (or standing at the gate). I bought a BT keyboard so that I could write in cramped conditions on long haul flights, but I have not used that as much as I expected.

Mine is the cellular model to avoid hassle of having to connect to phone hotspot. When I renew I might ditch the SIM and save €5/month.

5. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

I edc iPad Mini 2 in my laptop bag. 64GB memory and 4G connectivity makes a great companion on the go, when I remember to charge it first. I have lots of ebooks and comics in my tablet and I use it often during lunch break to read news online. I will either upgrade to Mini 5 4G if it ever comes or Mini 4 4G with biggest memory I can afford at that time. I'm just waiting for confirmation which way to go.

I do have some bigger tablets too but with bigger screen comes also more weight. That doesn't matter as much if I'm at home in my sofa but using a heavy tablet one-handed somewhere where I can't even sit down... as light as possible, thank you :) Besides, 8" is perfect size for an ebook reader.

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@KLF: I wouldn't hold my breath re: iPad Mini 5. A pretty constant barrage of reports across a wide swath of news sites is that Apple is no longer going to be releasing updates for the iPad Mini. These began back in April 2017. Just Google '...has Apple killed the iPad mini?'

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Snap, but Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kinemaster, and Costa coffee...

MCPOWoller likes this.
  8. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

And that's a real shame. I love mine. Samsung have my phone money, they will probably get my mini tablet money when I have to replace my iPad mini.

Take note Apple! (They won't but they did auto-correct Apple with a capital A. Stop following me!)

9. Low_Speed

Low_Speed Loaded Pockets

Bluetooth headphones then making call won’t make a difference to it’s usefulness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

My wife and I have iPad Air 2s and really like them for their portablility and screen size.

11. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have the mini 4. Love it. It is my electronic brain. My schedule is crazy, and it keeps everything in place so I know where I am supposed to be and when. I use it for checking main mail, client attendance, and music. I resisted getting one, but its portability has proven it to be a necessity and life saver. It has replaced -- egadz -- my Moleskine planner, which just got to crowded.

12. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

That's why I said I'm waiting for confirmation (from the official source, Apple itself). If I go and buy the Mini 4 I want right now (128GB, 4G LTE for ~650 euros local reseller) I'm pretty darn sure Apple will push out the Mini 5 next month after that :D

Most of the news sites are just recycling each others news... "No new device has been released for xx months, it is now dead?" then "Site x reports Ipad mini as dead".

13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

True. But the story did originate somewhere, and Apple has been not too supportive of the mini for a few years in terms of its prospects for longevity. Just not a big seller overall I believe.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MCPOWoller likes this.
  14. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Shame if Apple kill the mini. I see why they might with the 'plus' phones and 10" tablets it's quite a small niche. I have a mini 2 which still gets used a bit but I tend to use a 9.7" pro mainly these days. I was hoping for a mini pro with pencil and pro keyboard so I could downsize. With a pencil it would be near perfect in meetings for note taking - for me that would be a moleskin replacement.

15. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Completely agree. The A5ish format of the mini and the Molekine "L" size are perfect for note taking. About to start a new job for which I am planning to use Moleskine "Volant" notebooks, which have tear-out pages, and scan them into Evernote.

Moshe ben David and DeepBlue like this.
  16. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

I do, I used to travel and it was good at finding gate changes. and times and reservations. It is a good size and a really nice display. So far it has been really a flawless experience. I have been also thinking about a feature phone to use as a hot spot and small factor chrome book.

17. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

can someone clear up a possible misconception on my part re the iPad mini? I had tried using an iPad a few years ago as a dashboard-mounted navigation device. Because it wasn't cellular-equipped, the GPS accuracy wasn't up to snuff, which surprised me. I always found the vehicle placement cursor off from my actual location. Cheap dedicated GPS receivers can place you on a gnat's a**, but the iPad couldn't. Would I need to get a cellular-capable iPad mini to provide nav augmentation?

thanks,
    YHF

18. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

Yep. Simply put, the actual GPS receiver is in the cellular modem.

While there is some exceptions, that is pretty much true for all kinds of tablets these days.

19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah the WiFi only iPad merely triangulates from WiFi pinging its current location and accuracy can vary widely there to say the least.

Even the Cellular versions are not nearly as accurate as any standalone GPS as they have tiny internal antenna and mainly triangulate position based on Cell Tower pinging more than GPS Satellite data.

https://www.lifewire.com/does-ipad-have-gps-device-1994314

YMMV for sure here!

20. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

No, but I do EDC some kind of WiFi only Samsung Note tablet.