1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you edc a iPad mini?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by MicroMike, Aug 17, 2017.

1. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

I've been considering ditching my iPhone in favor for a iPad mini. I've noticed data only plans are cheaper than phone plans, and I text and web browse much more than I make calls.

Just wondering how I can pull off EDCing a small tablet.

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

A few years back I was travelling quite extensively. That's all the way back when phone screens were smaller, and 10" tablets had a lot less favorable screen to body ratio. Laptops where also bigger (at least corporate standard issue ones) and I often visited customers and sites that had cell phone restrictions. An iPad mini would have made so much sense back then. Now a days I don't travel that much, screens on cell phones are approaching the mini tablets and the bezel and general dimensions of the standard iPads have come down to a comfortable weight so I went with the iPad Pro 9.7 this time around.
    I guess what I'm saying is that I once was in a situation not totally different to yours, but for different reasons. Back then I would have been very happy to have only the iPad mini for those occasions where I wasn't able to bring my phone. I actually had an iPod touch to fill that role, but an iPad mini would have been perfect. For everyday use, I don't think I would give up on the comfort and flexibility of a phone just to save money on subscription.

Dirty Rod likes this.
  3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Agree with the above. I carry a Mini in my laptop bag and take it to meetings where I just need to take notes. Not nearly as convenient as my phone though and a little too ackward for a phone call if you forget your headset. Also too easy to forget somewhere if you are moving around.

onebadwagon and jomalley like this.
  4. rob13

rob13 Empty Pockets

I did for a couple of years after I let my brother borrow my MacBook to finish college. I put the Mini in a Zagg hard shell, clam-style case. Loved it. It was basically a 7" laptop (with no external storage, DVD drive, etc), perfect for what I needed. I've since moved up to the 9.7" pro, but can't find a similar clamshell case, so while performance is better, functionality is not.

5. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

You can make calls from the mini!?!? Prob voip type calls?

6. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I've not been able to converge on a single-device edc solution. I carry a Android phone which I use for....making calls. In addition I carry a conventional-sized ipad 4. My partner is more of an early adopter and has an ipad mini, large iphone 6, conventional sized new ipad and a Surface Pro.To this end I have the option to inherit the ipad mini.But what would I do with it? I'm unlikely to be carrying a mini in my pocket, and the marginal weight/size saving of a mini over the conventional ipad is not significant in a bag.with water-bottle, emergency corkscrew, tactical sandwiches etc...

My suggestion would be to stick with a phone for call, music, texting and emergency emails; and a normal ipad for tablet tasks such as browsing and banal you-tube videos.

tbzbbt

7. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I carry an 8.4 inch Huawei tablet. For urban/suburban carry I think screen protection is the main thing. I carried it in a sling bag for a few months only with the screen protector. I've currently got a silicone bumper on it, but I like using it better without the padding overall. I'm considering removing the silicone. I think for tablet uses a lot less is necessary than we think. Cuts the bulk in half usually too. Pay attention to what is in the pack with it. I usually give it a pocket to itself and that's enough. Most tactical and consumer packs have tablet sleeves in them now.

My phone, I drop that more than I care to admit. That needs some armor.

8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

FaceTime (wifi or cellular), calls through an iphone and VOIP calls (wifi or cellular) with an app like Vonage. I have had no problems making call with either of the methods. There is another method but I have never tried the geek work around.

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes I do actually,how did you know?

One thing that I do is install/service automation and av systems that use the iPhone & iPad as the interface so I need to have one with me at all times to work on these.
    The software is slightly different different between them too so I have to have both an iPhone and iPad,oh well someone has to!

10. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Yes. Vonage, Skype, Lync, WebEx, etc.

11. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

I EDC an iPad mini, but in addition to my iPhone. I don't use a data plan with it. I do like having it at meetings and when I travel. I bought a keyboard for it and it makes a world of difference in it's utility. The biggest drawback is that it isn't all that useful for creating and editing word documents (although it can be done). Good for downloading documents for meetings to be read instead of carrying paper copies.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Ever since the larger screen phones came out, I've always wondered why one would EDC a tablet of some sort?

Putting the data cost etc to one side, surely a phone such as the Samsung Note or Mega? Can do everything and more than a tablet can?

Whilst going on a road trip/holiday, yeah take a tablet too for watching films maybe but as a true EDC, I can't see it myself??

13. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Phones can do loads but you can't do much when you're on the phone making a call. That's when a tablet is useful.

#13 Tallboyjim, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  14. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I carry a small tablet for flights which use wifi and your device for inflight entertainment.

15. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Oh yeah, I never even thought of that. Lol

16. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

That's why I use a headset so I can use my phone while making a call. Does Verizon still limit the phones to making a call or surfing the web but not both at the same time?

17. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

No idea I'm in the uk. But, I can't access the net on 4g (don't know about wifi) when I'm on the phone, headset or not which can be problematic - not often though. I always thought that was an iphone issue rather than a provider one. And I don't even know if it is still the case I'm still on a iPhone 5s!

18. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

My bad. I didn't notice your location.

With AT&T, I can surf the web and make a call. My son says the hotspot can be used as well. I have never had a 5S but my wife and son could do all those task at the same time. My niece with her 5S and Verizon was limited to a phone call or surfing the web.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Interesting comments above. Especially those who are on Verizon and cannot both be on a call AND surfing the web. I had no idea such a limitation existed. Any number of people I know will tell me or whomever they're talking to that they're checking the web whilst on the call. I just assumed this was a standard capability of the leading phones. I'm particularly surprised that Verizon of all people have such a limitation!

I am an avid Verizon customer due to their great coverage. OTOH, I don't use a smartphone so I wouldn't have known of this quirk!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

20. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

My photographers carry iPad mini and a SD Card adapter. Once they shoot some images, they edit in Lightroom mobile and email out or use either Google Drive or Drop Box to move imagery around. Normally they go to either Starbucks or McD's for wifi. Been working well for over a year now.

Journo likes this.