1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you EDC a Frisbee or other flying disc?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by peacefuljeffrey, Mar 15, 2008.

1. peacefuljeffrey

Here are some pictures of the golf discs I EDC in my knapsack. They are selected specimens from my disc golf bag that I keep with me at all times in case I have a chance to practice or play around.

They are shown here in my Mach III Pole Hole, which is the target that is used for the game of Disc Golf. If you throw your disc and it lands in the basket or suspended in the chains, you have finished the hole ("holed-out"). It's an awesome game, and can be played inexpensively, and even where there is no set course. (You design your own, and designate light poles or trees as the targets.)

[img width=479 height=640]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/ornithoid/smallDSC01783.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/ornithoid/smallDSC01782.jpg[/img]
    The discs are by Innova Champion, in their high-end "Champion plastic." L to R: Champion Valkyrie driver, Champion Aero mini marker, Champion Aero putter.

Are there any other disc golfers, or Ultimate players, here? Say hi! :)

2. stauffac

stauffac Loaded Pockets

I keep 10 discs in a cooler I got for free at a baseball game. It lives in the trunk of my car. I also keep a driver, midrange, and putter in the trunk box on my scooter, in case I get the chance to go play a quick 9 holes on my lunch break.

I don't keep them in with all my other crap though...

3. peacefuljeffrey

That's cool.

I don't keep golf discs in my car, since it's Florida, and the inside of the car gets well over 100 degrees in the midday, particularly in summertime. I do leave a Frisbee or two in there, but they don't seem to suffer for it.

Lately, I've been playing Frisbee (catch) in the parking lot at work after-hours with a friend of mine who is a security guard there. We've had some really fun catch sessions, as recently as Friday night. I've been playing disc golf most weekends for a while now, but there's something about tossing a disc back and forth with another person that fills a void, in a very important way. :) Plus, it helps to be playing with a person of near-equivalent skills as yourself.

4. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Whoa, how did I miss this thread?

I disc golf too....I have three courses within 5 minutes of my house. ;D I keep a driver, mid-range, and putter in my car at all times. I went a little crazy when I first started playing, so I have about 30 discs at the moment. I got a few friends hooked by giving them a few of my "beaters" to play with. I also keep a frisbee with built in LEDs in the car so we can keep the game going into the twilight hours.

5. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

When the weathers warm here I keep a regular ol' frisbee in my trunk for catch. When I went on a roadtrip this winterbreak I made sure we brought a frisbee and we used it sevral times. Playing catch with the frisbee is one of my favorite ways to spend leisure time.

6. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Funny. I was called "Frisbee Kid" in high school, because you'd always find me on frontlawn any free second I got, throwing a disc.

I haven't picked one up in 15 years though, until just Friday afternoon. Friend had some goofy LED contraption (EDC, woot! Taught him well!) that actually flies fairly well since it's so heavy. Was fun, will definitely purchase some 165g tournament discs.

Frisbee golf, I didn't do so hot. Gave one guy a bloody nose with a disc. :lolhammer:

7. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

There are no courses convenient to me around here :rant:, so I don't golf. But I do have a no-name disc in the trunk of my car alongside the other emergency equipment.

8. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I play with some friends at a park about an hour away. I have only one disc, a driver. But it does well enough. I'm not that great, but everyone once in awhile you get that sweet shot that's owed you, ya know? I like just regular frisbee catch, but again I'm not the greatest at that either. But I still get into the circle until I've lost all coordination and I need to stop embarrassing myself.
    I keep the driver in my bookbag, so it's an inadvertent EDC.

9. Sideburnz

Sideburnz Empty Pockets

I don't technically Every (single) Day Carry a disc, but I do keep an aerobee in my xtracycle. It's great fun when I show up at a friend's house and we get bored or I'm riding with a few people and we stop for a break.

BTW, my first EDC post, I'm glad I found this forum. I thought I was weird for religiously carrying a notebook, pen, folding knife, and flashlight.

10. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

Welcome Burnzy. I took Ultimate as a p.e. class in college for 3 or 4 semesters in a row. Got hooked. We weren't a competing team or anything, just for :censored:s and giggles. I tend to always have an supernova (which was the disc we all learned on in class) in my truck. Random bouts of downtime on film sets can lead to spirited, yet short, games of catch.

11. peacefuljeffrey

Ahhhh, Ultimate! :) Apart from Disc Golf, the greatest game on the face of the earth!

I have some sweet memories of playing Ultimate. I never was able to play on my college team because when I wanted to join, I had a class scheduled when they did their practice. I would've been good, too. My actual history of play is pretty limited: when I graduated from high school, a bunch of friends of mine (guys and girls) used to go out on the football field behind my school a bunch of times that summer and play Ultimate for a few hours, then all go back to one guy's house and swim for a while and then grill up. ;D Life was goooood.

Then I played a little in pickup games at Washington Park in Albany, NY. One day I swear we played for more than six or seven hours straight! It was the coolest, hippiest game because we played shirts and skins and we didn't even keep score! We just kept playing point after point after point, and if you got tired, you subbed out -- and you could sub back in for either team! :laugh: I remember that day soooo fondly! :smitten:

The next (and, sadly, last) time I played was (holy moly has it been this long?!) back in 1998, shortly after I had moved to Florida, and only just the same weekend I played my first round of disc golf on a real course. There was a group of guys who met on Sundays at PGA Park on Northlake Blvd. in Palm Beach Gardens. I played a couple of times with them, but decided my focus was really more on Disc Golf.

Important note:

I recently bought a new 175g Wham-O Ultimate Frisbee, and it came with a mail-in offer for an introduction to Ultimate DVD. It has rules, pointers, and training tips, and is free when you pay $3.95 s/h. Mine came in a very short time -- less than a week after I mailed my check, the disc arrived. I recommend taking advantage of this deal.

12. peacefuljeffrey

Hmmm... Supernova... I could swear I have, or had, one of those. Is that by Innova?
    I recently bought an Innova Pulsar, which says right on it that it is an "Ultimate" disc. It's a nice one! 175g, good feel. Haven't thrown it yet, though.

I'll have to check around for the Supernova I think I have. Waiiiiit, something's coming back to me. Is that a 200g disc? Maybe that's why I remember having one -- I know I bought a 200g frisbee-type disc some years ago and stashed it away.

13. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

Correct, the supernova is an innova, I think it's a 175 or 180 gram disc. Just found a big 200 gram overstable disc in my closet...About 15 minutes from me there's a store called DISCovering the world (http://www.dtworld.com) where I bought my discs. I'd like to go grab some more if I thought I'd be using them anytime soon. I need to try this whole frisbee golf thing, they cater mainly to you golfers.

Crazy to think we actually got graded on ultimate. We had handouts to study (on different defensive/offensive styles, rules, field measurements etc) and we had a final exam that was both skills based as well as a 30 question written exam.

Besides class, once a week there were Wednesday night games on the football field...well a few games going at once across the width of the field. Always interesting to see how things would go, especially with the mix of guys, girls, athletes, stoners, and meatheads (football players). Note, yes I had been a football player in highschool, so I say meathead in jest of course. It was certainly fun to watch some barefoot stoners score against some of the football guys, certainly an exhibition of skill over strength.

14. peacefuljeffrey

DUDE!!!! YOU LIVE NEAR DISCOVERING THE WORLD??!! Holy cripes, that's the first store I ever ordered discs from once I really found out about disc golf and wanted to fill my bag up! The first time I ever ordered from them was in 1990 or so -- wow, a long time ago.

I'd love it if they were only 15 minutes from me. Heck, if they were two hours from me I'd still make the drive to check 'em out!

15. mtngoat

mtngoat Loaded Pockets

Keep my frisbee golf discs in the wifes car, always drive it when I'm not at work.

goat

16. swatz

swatz Loaded Pockets

I don't disc golf, but I do carry one of these in the car! :woohoo:
    http://www.flashflight.com/index.shtml
    These things are awesome..I have had mine for over a year and I'm still on the same set of batteries...great fun after work...flies very well.
    Steve

17. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a frisbee back when I was single and living off my bicycle, it was a nice multi purpose item. It was a plate, a cutting board and a toy. Thinking about carrying one again.

18. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I've been disc golfing since college. My family are all golfing nuts, and until I went off to school, my green fees got paid for me. When I started having to pay my own fees, I took up disc golf. Much cheaper. I have a travel target/hole that I take with me so that I can play anywhere I go. There's only one course here in Edmonton, but we can play in any city park with the inova traveler.

19. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I keep a friz in my car for some Ultimate Frisbee!

I think that and golf are apart of the sports that keep getting bigger and bigger.

20. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

I don't consider it EDC but I have a couple of Granite Gear Flyers in my truck for when I go to the dog park.My dogs teeth didn't come in right so I can't use a regular frisbee.They're also great for a makeshift seat cushion in a pinch.
    http://www.granitegearstore.com/Flyer-P105C21.aspx