1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry food/snacks in your EDC bag ?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by plumberroy, Jan 16, 2021.

1. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have a mild case of type 2 diabetes. I can easily control it unless I have another problem going on. I do carry a little food incase my blood sugar goes low . After much trial and error this is what works for me.
    Peanut butter in a squeeze tube, Finn crisps rye crackers, dried black beans that I dehydrate myself . These are light compact and aren't just sugar . I also carry stuff for a cup of tea

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

For regular EDC, no.
    But I walk a ****load and often longer than I planned, so I've put together a small kit that I throw in whatever backpack, fannypack or I'm carrying. Or even a pocket.
    It's only for just in case, on those walks where I don't expect to need any food until I arrive back home or at my destination, so everything fits in a wallet sized pouch.
    In it I have wet wipes, a flat bottle of hand sanitizer, a pre-paid VISA card, energy gel that I can mix in my water bottle, energy bar, a small bag of dried meat (rich on nutrition, but primarily to neutralize the sweet after taste from the energy bar) and a microscopic med kit for small cuts and chafing.

With this very small pouch with me, I have all the requisites to safely stop and buy refreshments somewhere along the way (face masks has since become mandatory many places, so I need to find a good solution for that before next walking season, which is mainly a summer thing), or eat and drink the emergency supply I carry with me.

This is actually one of my better ideas, and it came about from learning the hard way.
    It often happens that when I walk out the door, I'm not always motivated for a very long walk, but as the walk progresses my desire to go further increases. Maybe the weather improves, maybe I find a new trail I want to explore or maybe I just get more energy after being out in nature for a while. In these situations it's always nice to be able to continue the walk and not have to turn around because I'm hungry and low on energy.

3. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

I don't carry an EDC bag that often, but when I do I have snacks in the form of Clif bars and jerky. I also usually have something in my car, as well as a couple of Clif bars in my tool bag for work.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

4. plumberroy

My bag goes in the car when I go . It goes into work and hangs on my locker. It is usually close but in general I don't carry it everywhere. I do carry it when we go to a festival or other outing especially if the grandkids are going. Because I have a good FAK and stuff to clean hand faces etc . I also have enough extra room for small stuff we buy

5. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Always carry cliff bars in y work edc pack. As well as a jet boil and a packet of cup of soup. Never know when you get sent to the field for a couple days

#5 maillet282, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  6. jdavidboyd

jdavidboyd Loaded Pockets

Cliff bars are always good.

7. plumberroy

Cliff bars are good for me in a bag because I have to be really hungry to eat them

neo71665 likes this.
  8. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Also on a LoCarb/HiFat diet. SlimFast Keto Peanut butter cups are a favorite right now. Retired, really do not go far these days.

9. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Cliff Bars.

They keep well and fill me up.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

For sure!
    I get more than a little crazy when hungry and try to avoid this at all times.

I am also thankful that the Hardware stores all seem to keep Snack stuff at the registers these days!

11. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Like others, I keep 2-3 Clif bars in my bag. They keep fairly well but aren't something I'm tempted to snack on, yet they are filling enough with plenty of nutrition for the purpose.

12. jdavidboyd

jdavidboyd Loaded Pockets

If you get flavors you dislike, you can almost guarantee they're left for emergencies.

13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I normally keep some jerky, and somewhere in the bottom of my bag is a freeze dried mt house meal. I think there is a cliff bar in there if I have to bait a snare to catch something good to eat.

14. plumberroy

That is most cliff bars :D I have to watch energy bars due to diverticulitis I have avoid nuts and seeds

15. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

If I did that I wouldn't eat them at all. ;)

The chocolate brownie bars I keep are actually pretty good, but need coffee or milk to be really palatable. Water works in a pinch, but not as well. Alone, the bars are too dry to tolerate. All of which keeps me from snacking on them, except when needed.

16. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

I keep mints, gum, and/or hard candy in my daily kit. I also keep a box of whatever meal bars were on sale in the car and will toss a couple in my bag to take a hike or visit the zoo or whatever.

I used to be able to get an interesting or-packed 'trail lunch' that was cool. What I remember the most were the Split or Cotlet fruit bars in them. They also had some jerky, and... Other stuff I don't remember well. I really miss them, and Aplets!

17. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Back from Trader Joe's, the Chomps turkey stick is 0 sugar, 0 carbs and about one year expiration date.

18. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Recently, I added a protein bar to my EDC messenger bag (for small local tours like grocery shopping) along with a small (0.25 liter/quart) water bottle. Not for frequent use, more to help others (especially during summer you'll find some people collapse due to heat and dehydration or low sugar).

In my EDC backpack (for travel out of town) I've added some stuff to get me through a day or night:
    • instant chocolate porridge (just add a little bit of hot water and wait 3-5 minutes before eating)
    • ramen noodles
    • nuts
    • granola bar
    • instant coffee (3 in 1) and some tea
    This is for urban/sub-urban use when access to hot water is available, like arriving very late in a hotel, or working [on weekends] in industrial area buildings with no open local restaurants or grocery stores nearby, and also delivery service may be limited or not available due to time of the day.

A titanium 700ml mug with lid, a titanium spork, a Swiss army surplus m71 stove, and 1 liter/quart water bottle rides in the pack for using above in an outdoor or similar environment as well.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Jan 23, 2021
    #18 FiaOlleDog, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021