1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry.......at home!?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by 0dBm, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Jbo

Jbo Empty Pockets

Considering I do not own a home defense shotgun nor a plethora of handguns that I can stash around the house I do carry while in my home. As soon as I get home from work my weapon is on my hip until the time I lay down for bed, then it is in the night stand. I am one who subscribes to the "it is better to have and not need than to need and not have" way of thinking. I carry when I leave the house so why not carry while in the house? As much as I would like to think of my home being an impenitrable barrier to evil, if someone really wanted to come into my home one swift kick would be all it takes to any door. I do own 2 handguns, but the chances of me being in the right room when the danger presents itself are very slim. That is why I carry at home.

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Yeah, when I get dressed for the day, and slip my gun in my pocket to go out, I don't necessarily remove it when I am home.

3. harm-knifemaker

harm-knifemaker Loaded Pockets

only when i sleep i'm not strapped.but then i have a folder clipped to the pocket of my baggies,and a fb between the matress and base.

4. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Several off-topic and posts have been removed.

Let's stick to the original topic.

If there are any more off-topic posts, we'll just close the thread.

Thanks for your understanding,

Ray

:dabird:

5. mixplix

mixplix Banned

I do. If I have been out that day, I have my .38 snub. I love that gun. if at home lounging, I will have a Kel-tec P-32 or a Beretta 21A. I plan on getting a Mossberg home defender in the next 60 days. better safe than sorry. Away from home, usually carry two.

6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

It's rare that I carry at home; if I do, it's because there's an elevated threat of some kind. I've done that when the cops had a barricade situation about 1/4 mile away (we were just outside of the evacuation zone), and a few times when my neighbor came over after her husband had been beating on her and I wasn't planning to let him come in after her.

I have a pistol safe next to my bed. It's got my Kimber Pro Carry II, cocked and locked with three spare mags, and my wife's S&W 686+, with four speedloaders. In my office at the other end of the house I have a pistol safe with a Bersa Thunder 9, on safe with one up the spout and three spare mags. The main gun safe also has my new XD Tactical 9mm, also with three spare mags. I've got high velocity hollowpoints in each one.

We live in a very low threat environment. If something does come-a-knockin', I trust my dog to make me enough time to retreat towards one of those locations and get armed.

7. jaejw1

jaejw1 Empty Pockets

my "american express card" is a full size 92fs.. and i have 16 lovely friends loaded inside

8. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

Yes, always in the home.
    Usually Yes, when working in the yard.
    Usually No, when working under the car.
    No, when bathing or asleep.

to mikel81: My kids have always been around our firearms since they were born. They know what they are and what they do. They know that they can see or handle any one of them at any time they want by asking, and I will go over again how to make sure it is safe and unloaded, and answer any questions. We try to shoot together whenever we can. We demystify the weapons and teach that they are tools, to be used properly and ad needed, whether for sport or defense. They are still locked up when unattended (the guns, not the kids), as is prudent and proper.

In 14 years the worst that has happened is that my son tried to head-butt me in the stomach, but I turned and he butted into my holster instead. Only a small lump on his forehead. gun-proofing your kids is almost always better than kid-proofing your guns.

9. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Versatek
    I agree on gunproofing kids being more effective. My boys just turned 3 and 4. They know what guns are, but I feel they are too young to fully understand what they can do. I do plan on taking them shooting and teaching them proper firearm safety when they are a little older.

10. SilentK

SilentK Empty Pockets

There is a gun and flashlight is every room in my house, even if it may be a hidden rifle under a couch or bed, or a small .22 revolver. I hear gun shots alot seeing as i live in a rural part of south carolina. if i hear a shot that i feel is too close to my house, i will grab my spotlight and light anything up, if i am further concerened, i bring the girlfriend into the living room and look all doors including the solid 2" wooden door {four steel hinges and one 3 1/2" deadblot that goes into solid concrete with keys needed on both sides.} that seperates the living room from the rest of the house. The only room i do not have a weapon in is the bathroom. but everytime i take a shower or "relive myself" i expose the weapon i carry 24/7. :winkwink: :lolhammer:

11. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

I carry heat with me most of the time. In my house, I don't specifically carry a gun, but I have guns sprinkled around the main areas I occupy in my apartment. One by my computer, one by my bed, one above the sink and one by my recliner. It seems a little paranoid, but I live alone and have nothing better to do with my time.

12. BamaBud

BamaBud Loaded Pockets

Yes. Everytime, everywhere.

I have a dozen or so laying around, ready and available. I sometimes have to break out my records when we vacation to make sure I've found them all and locked them all back into the safes.

BB

13. Jambo

Jambo Loaded Pockets

I live in a part of Europe that is quite restrictive on gun ownership, however, I have a Mossberg 590 in a gun safe in the bedroom, also with a push dagger hidden in the bed frame and a 21" asp with easy reach of the bed along with a CS gel spray. A 34" polypropylene baseball bat hidden near the front door along with a 26" asp hidden above the front door. A auto Benchmade hidden in the kitchen, and CS spray in the living room. And finally A 21" asp hidden in the garage within easy reach of the garage door.

I also usually have several sharp and pointy items about my person, including a Spyderco civilian for those 'better judged by twelve than carried by six' days.

I work in security, and like to be prepared. The best comment I've heard from a colleague so far is "Jesus, you're so paranoid you make Fox Mulder look normal".

That's nothing, if I was over there with you guys my house would be a armoury... :D

14. spydercofanatic

spydercofanatic Empty Pockets

NEVER within a arms reach

15. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I moved away from gun shots in the nite, to an HOA with 75% here retired. quiet. got to remind myself to pull things out and run a brush thru them. 12 ga, 9mm, .45, and an AR keep me sane.

16. Junior03

Junior03 Loaded Pockets

I agree with TIMBOKHAN, a little bit of everythng spread out...its not paranoia....its calleed covering all bases!!

17. MyAGunn

MyAGunn Loaded Pockets

Yes

18. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

Whenever we're home both the wife and I are within 14 steps of a firearm. 2 attempted home invasions taught us that a few hundred dollars into a good weapon is VERY cheap life insurance.

19. WolfAmmoMan

WolfAmmoMan Banned

I hope there isn't a 3rd attempt... but if there is, you are well prepared :)

20. fm2176

fm2176 Loaded Pockets

I usually have something within arms reach. My state of dress at my apartment generally precludes me going armed. If I take out the trash, walk to the liquor store, or go anywhere else that requires leaving the relative security of the apartment, however, I slip something in my pocket or waistband.