1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry.......at home!?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by 0dBm, Jul 11, 2006.

1. LOW96HB

LOW96HB Loaded Pockets

There is always a firearm within arms reach of where I am.

2. kfgk14

kfgk14 Empty Pockets

There are always at least two firearms with arms reach of where I am.

1up'd!

just joshing you LOW96, but when I'm at home there's almost always a rifle or shotgun in reach in addition to my carry gun.

3. bigdean

bigdean Loaded Pockets

I live in Switzerland and the only place I can legally carry a gun is at home!
    But I don't carry it all the time, I've got a SIG 226 9mm or my Taurus .38 UL near by.
    And there's still my Mossberg Mariner around!
    And if I'm not at home I've between 4 and 6 knives in my Bag or on me!
    The knives are legal here!

4. Porkchop82

Porkchop82 Loaded Pockets

If I have a pulse, I have a gun on my person or with in arms reach. The only exception to this is when I am on campus attending classes. It is against the law to carry a gun on my campus. I do feel lacking and less safe because of their policies but I cannot risk arrest or expulsion. I also think that 21 may be too young for kids to carry a weapon. Medical science has proven that the human brain is not fully capable of problem solving and making rational decisions until the late 20's. Have you seen the idiots on college campuses? I would be very scared to know they could all carry guns. I am just about 30, I train, take classes, and know the law regarding firearms. Most kids won't. Also alcohol and firearms is not a good combo and 21 is a crazy age filled with poor decisions being made. Do I want to carry on Campus, you betcha! Am I glad not everyone can? :censored: straight.

If I am anywhere other than school, I have at the very least, a .357 on me or next to me. Daily carry is either a 9mm or .357.

5. kfgk14

kfgk14 Empty Pockets

With a responsible son in college, I'm inclined to disagree. A responsible firearms owner knows it is illegal to drink and carry, just as it is illegal to drink and drive. I know when I was in college, I damned campus carry laws because I was mugged on campus, and got beaten to hell in the process. I definitely would have came out the victor in that attack if I'd been armed, I saw them coming and was ready for a fight but I didn't have the tools to take three guys with blunt instruments when I had nothing but bare hands (no knives on campus either, they were stricter than my high school).

6. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

So you're ok with 18yo men carrying fully automatic weapons and going to fight on a distant battlefield, but when they come home they shouldn't be able to carry a handgun? I for one think the age to own and carry a handgun should be 18, at the very least to own one. If you are responsible enough go through the hoops, why not? My friend who was a Cpl in the Marines, led 300 some missions in Iraq and A'stan at the age of 20-22, before he was killed by an IED last year. You're telling me that someone who leads combat troops is incapable of carrying a firearm and making rational decisions? I've carried a firearm for about a year and half now, I'll be 23 in April, and I've never had to pull it. Its ridden quietly with me wherever I go, where legal, and I've never once had an issue.

Have you seen the idiot adults (older than early 20's) out in the world? I wouldn't trust 85% of the adults out there with a loaded firearm either. They can't drive a car, something they've been doing since the age of 16 in most cases, what makes you think they can employ a firearm correctly in a stressful situation? Hell half of them freeze up when they see flashing lights! I agree most kids don't know the law, take classes, or train...neither do the adults. I would take more classes if it wasn't for a full time job, college classes, and physical training (Because I plan on joining the military and going through Ranger Selection). On top of my CC course, I also took a carbine course last fall, I also plan to take 2 pistol courses through the range where I took my CC course and I would like to take a carbine/pistol course as well. I'm at the range at least 1-2 times a month if not more, again, limited funds limit the amount of money I can spend, and I'm trying to get a reloading setup running. Also, I completely agree that alcohol and firearms do not mix, and older adults can just as easily pull guns while drunk as younger adults do. Alcohol doesn't discriminate whose judgment it screws up first. A 30yo can get drunk just as easily as a 22yo, drunk is drunk, and reasoning skills, no matter the age, go out the window when alcohol is involved.

7. mwestjeeper

mwestjeeper Loaded Pockets

The comparison between the average drunken college kid, and our men in uniform (I am former USMC infantry, as well as college grad, so I am quite familiar with both) is not an apt one. There is a vast maturity level between an 18yo in uniform, and a drunken 21yo frat boy on campus.

If 21yo's carried, there would be far more deaths as a result of intoxicated jack-assery than lives saved by CCW on campus.

8. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

I try to carry as much as possible, and I don't see a problem with partaking in alcohol while carrying as long as it is done in a responsible manner.

9. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

I always have something on me or within arms reach.

10. Caribou

Caribou Loaded Pockets

Yes, I carry at home, but not all the time. I'm thinking of getting a fake book or clock to keep a handgun in, but I'm afraid of an inquisitive family member or friend picking it up and saying "what's this?" Time to get creative, I guess.

11. Rule .308

Rule .308 Empty Pockets

Yes, I will usually have a pieced on me or right next to me.

12. RonReagan

RonReagan Loaded Pockets

Have it right on me while at home and at night I have it right next to me on the end table with the x300. If I don't have my Glock already on me and I need to check the mail or something I will usually pocket my .38.

13. In_The_Pitt

In_The_Pitt Loaded Pockets

I must respectfully disagree. As a bouncer in a bar, I can tell you, some people can't handle their drinking even in a non-stressed situation. What you don't want to see is a CCW carrier that has had a "few", walking to his car and misinterpret an altercation in a parking lot and end up killing someone due to alcohol altered judgement.

14. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

The problem is that when you drink alcohol, your interpretation of "responsible" becomes skewed.

15. Firepoint

Firepoint Loaded Pockets

I wish it was legal for me to do so where I live.

16. greyghost

greyghost Empty Pockets

Only on the weekends. Not cuz I think thats the only time bad things can happen. But cuz thats the only time I'm home and awake long enough to take a shower, get dressed and arm myself. I work way too many hours! Usually I get home from work and am in bed, fast asleep in an hour to an hour and a half.

17. Chili-Mac

Chili-Mac Loaded Pockets

I understand what you are saying, but are you suggesting there is a such a point where you drink enough not to be trusted with a firearm but can be trusted to operate a motor vehicle? I drink at home with my firearm and I also go to bars and drink with my firearm in my pocket never had a problem.

18. Forewarned

Forewarned Empty Pockets

I carry whenever I have pants on. I have pants on whenever I am awake. 1 exception is playing tennis or swimming in ocean. Pistol is within a few feet of me or my wife.

Forewarned

19. muttsnutts

muttsnutts Loaded Pockets

I once read on a different forum that "100% of home invasions occur at home."
    Hard to argue with that logic, so my answer is YES.
    My girlfriend still laughs about when she first saw me in just boxers and an ankle holster.

20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"...are you suggesting there is a such a point where you drink enough not to be trusted with a firearm but can be trusted to operate a motor vehicle? I drink at home with my firearm and I also go to bars and drink with my firearm in my pocket never had a problem."

Regardless of whether you intended this to be a general question or a specific one directed to a certain fellow member, as follows is my direct answer.

I believe that people should NOT drink alcoholic beverages then operate a motor vehicle in the public domain. If you insist on operating your motor vehicle while intoxicated on your private property, that is your business and I don't care what you do as long as this practice doesn't encroach on my liberties and personal safety.

I believe that people should NOT carry a loaded firearm while drinking alcoholic beverages in public. You can do that as well in the privacy of your property in the same manner as above. Many municipalities support my position against drinking alcoholic beverages in public, so outside of your private property, your are relegated to drinking alcoholic beverages in someone else's private property such as a club, bar, or restaurant that is frequented by patrons.

Just because you "never had a problem" does not, necessarily, mean that others will have the same disposition. Since it is much more difficult to establish whom will "never [have] a problem" after drinking alcoholic beverages, I support a club, bar, or restaurant owner's decision to prohibit loaded firearms in their establishment; however, I am adamant about my legal ability via a government permit to carry my loaded firearm.

I simply do not enter those places that prohibit the carry of loaded firearms, nor do I frequent places that serve alcohol for immediate consumption that do not prohibit the carry of loaded firearms.