1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry.......at home!?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by 0dBm, Jul 11, 2006.

1. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

No, but I am thinking about it. The state of MA now prohibits the sale of new models of almost everything smaller than a S&W 38 stub, so that takes the bloom off house carry. Never less, I note with dismay that home invasions are creeping closer to my own abode from less reputable areas a short drive away. How long before they begin targeting houses in a more upscale area that they preceive as having more ready cash?

2. icqcq

icqcq Loaded Pockets

A year and a half ago, while living in the Good, Popular, Old part of town, my roommate ran in the house, grabbed something, and ran back out the front door without locking it. Three minutes later she came back in the front door; but the timing was wrong (if she hadn't gotten out of the driveway, it was too long; if she had, then it was too quick to have gone around the block), so I walked to the front of the house to see what she was doing. It wasn't my roommate: a couple walking by had watched her departure and noted the unlocked front door and had come to check out the situation: the woman was in the living room, the man was standing in the open front door. I was not armed at the moment, but the strength of my verbal response was enough. Fortunately, they were opportunists who had hoped to find an empty house, and not assertive enough to close the door behind them and make things difficult.

Lesson learned.

3. ethernectar

ethernectar Empty Pockets

I don't carry at home, but there are 2 hidden away and within reach: a P220 w/ 45 +P+ and a S&W Airlight w/ 357Mag loads.

4. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

Having grown up in the DC area and having a step father that was in law enforcement I kind of learned to always have something on me. I keep my front glass door locked with a dead bolt and the front door is double locked. Same goes for the back door. All doors into my house require you to get past more than one door. All my windows are double pane and have a nice coating on them. I takes a few good whacks with a bat to smash one and even more to get through one. I don't answer my door if the doorbell goes off. I first look then open and even then I am prepared. I do funny thi9ngs like when I go to my vehicle I get in a lock the doors all the time looking around while I start the vehicle to see if anyone approaches. I had someone walk up to my door onetime and I already had my hand on my gun and didn't crack my window. I made the person yell so I could hear them and everyone else could!.

I do little things like take different lunch times at work and sometimes go home (takes less than 10 mins one way) I leave for work at different times. I even arrive home at different times. My "routine" is hard to follow and my neighbors comment on it. I have dogs in the house and motion lights all around. I do have an alarm system but I have modified some of the sensors. I have an IR sensor near my front door that turns on my back porch light so when I am in the backyard I know if someone has been to my front door.

Funny thing is twice in my neighborhood someone will drop of a group of thugs at one end of the 4 block street then drive to the other end of the street. Then the thugs will go from driveway to driveway taking anything of value. Busting out a lot of car windows on they way. Mine has never been hit. I have a big floodlight that goes on and it is test all the time. My neighbors use to complain about it but now all of them have one. I set them up myself and since then we haven't had the problem.

I also have a motion IR camera mounted that takes pics of my vehicles is something moves around them.

But my best thing is my gun safe. I keep all but what I carry in it. I have a lot of guns and knives and don't need them all out so I only keep what I need..everything else is locked up in a big safe that has a key lock and a combo lock. It also has a lot of Black Powder in it. If someone tries to use a cutting torch on the thing...well BOOM!

5. MuayThai

MuayThai Loaded Pockets

I dont typically keep one on my person at home but I have several hidden throughout the house. The back of my couch has two rows of flip up cushions so I keep one there (45) and a (40) between the mattresses. I also keep one on top of my chest of drawers. Its over 6'6" so you cant see it. Like most other post if its dark out I will grab one if im going outside.

6. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

As of today, all the time outside. Apparently there are alligators in the neighborhood!

7. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

That's a very thorough security minded plan icemncmth (I'm a little jealous), & very kind of you to help the neighbors too...

8. broberts001

broberts001 Loaded Pockets

Always carry a blade and pistol around the home and outside. There have been too many instances where people are confronted at their home (where they feel the safest).

-Bryan

9. russtang

russtang Loaded Pockets

Always have something close by. usually within arms reach.

Sometimes I carry at home.

10. **cutup**

**cutup** Loaded Pockets

Sure do. Most vulnerable at the pool in the backyard, but my wife just won't let me swim it! Plus, we still play smear the queer all the time in the pool--so it has to go under a towel on the table. I get accosted out there, ain't no way I'll get out of the pool, to the table, and behind cover without heck to pay.

11. concealed_ny

concealed_ny Loaded Pockets

12. dan20703

dan20703 Empty Pockets

My S&W 642 is way too easy of a carry piece to not have it in my pocket all the time while at home.

13. Reader

Reader Loaded Pockets

Usually not but at home I have several firearms stashed on each floor of the house.

14. In_The_Pitt

In_The_Pitt Loaded Pockets

Usually I do. Ruger SR9. Its my ccw and my nightstand gun. Its sitting next to me on the table while I'm typing this as a matter of fact.

15. along

along Empty Pockets

only when i'm outside

16. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

Sometimes Yes....sometimes no.

Illinois is such a great state.....cough*sarcasm*cough

17. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

No. I've got one in reach no matter where I'm out in the house.

18. smith

smith Loaded Pockets

call me paranoid, but i carry at home. i think one can get to a point where he no longer realizes its on him. Even adjusting becomes "the norm"

19. SpyderTex

SpyderTex Empty Pockets

i will carry a knife and flashlight on me when going out at night i.e taking trash etc. stay prepared

20. pacificfirebrush

pacificfirebrush Empty Pockets

Yup! Ruger Redhawk, magnums if we take the jeep up into the mountains, specials in town, with two maxfire reloaders either way, including at home. If I'm wearing PJ's I clip my Cold Steel voyager x2 on the waistband.