1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a whistle everyday?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by dmattaponi, May 29, 2010.

1. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

I've said it before and I'll say it again Victorinox have no interest in producing the perfect SAK(s) - keeps you purchasing more and more... and more.

Tixx and Aleister like this.
  2. Ludwell01

Ludwell01 Loaded Pockets

I have a JetScream whistle in the shoulder pocket on each of my outdoors jackets.
    Here's one in its favourite environment...

[​IMG]

Tixx likes this.
  3. deepsea

deepsea Loaded Pockets

Yep everyday and use it almost everyday to call my dog. If he can't hear me yelling to call him in I will blow the whistle a couple of times and he will return at a fast run.

Ludwell01 likes this.
  4. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Yeah, forgot my Jetscream for the pic. I have a whole bunch of whistles in different kits. Can't keep track of my crap anymore.

Ludwell01 likes this.
  5. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Nope.

MatBlack likes this.
  6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I have 3 Fox 40s. I work in a school, so one stays on my key-chain, mainly for getting kids' attention at bus duty, etc. I have one on a lanyard for lifeguarding, and I have another on my PFD for kayaking/stand-up paddle boarding.

Gambit88 and Tixx like this.
  7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I keep a Topps whistle in my pocket attatched to my Fenix EO1. I picked it up from the ForumStore along with the EO1.

8. Racehorse

Racehorse Empty Pockets

Yes. Got several of them back in the sixty's from a police supply, but they called it a military whistle. Very loud. Carry one daily

9. Cracked Rib
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cracked Rib Loaded Pockets

Yes, a Fox 40 Micro on my keychain. Chose it for the flat design, but I had to make a loop out of some gutted paracord to attach it. It could be louder and needs a lot of air, so I'm in the market for a new one. This thread might be of interest.

Last edited by Cracked Rib, Apr 13, 2013
  10. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

I live in New York City. I ride the subways and use elevators several times a day. Of course I carry a whistle. I also always have a flash light, a large cotton bandana and a bottle of water.

I can not prove it, but I know for sure that if everyone in the WTC on the morning of 9/11 had these items, hundreds more would have walked out.

11. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I carry Fox 40 Sonic Blast

12. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

Similar situation here. I'm graduating teacher's college soon and am in and out of schools a lot. I keep one on my key chain and use it for gym class, recess duty, etc. It gives me a good excuse for when people ask me about it and I know they won't accept "emergency use" as a valid option. Right now I have a fox 40 standard pealess whistle but I'd like a metal one, maybe the 4sevens.

Water-Rat likes this.
  13. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I live smack-dab in the middle of suburbia. But I still find many uses for my whistle. In large places (parking lots, amusement parks, concerts, the beach) it can be a big help in locating or directing a friend to your your position. It's good for getting the attention of a bunch of people, or shutting a room up. It's a great at the firing range for calling a cease-fire.

I don't use mine often, but it's so easy to carry that it's worth doing so for those occasions where I do use it. There are a lot of things that I EDC that only get used occasionally for the same reason. Heck, vast majority CCW carriers will never fire a shot in self-defense.

But as I've always said, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

14. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Loaded Pockets

Been carrying a FOX 40 micra nearly everyday for 4 months, on a tear away lanyard and under my shirt, sometimes will attach a small flashlight or a knife to it. There is no weight to it and you just never know. :help:

15. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

Many good reasons exist to carry a whistle. Most of them appear in this thread. Here's another. Childsafety. Whenever we went out to a fair, museum, circus, theatre, street fair, etc., from about age 3 , my kids had a loud, easy to blow whistle with a lanyard. The lanyard was looped thru a belt loop, with the whistle in their front pants pocket. Can't see Mom or Dad, feel threatened, got lost or separated, STOP. BLOW WHISTLE 3 TIMES. REPEAT AS NECESSARY TIL HELP ARRIVES. It can be embarrassing, but it works like a charm.

Crazy Canuck and kertap75 like this.
  16. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just bought a regular Vargo recently, but it's still underway from the orient. I like the clip on version too but it was a little too pricey for something as simple as a whistle imo.

I used to carry an orange aluminum whistle on my bag but lost it a few years ago. I never had to use it though, but I still want to replace it anyway.

Does anyone know if whistles work to scare of bears or other large animals perhaps?

SharpStrings likes this.
  17. SharpStrings

SharpStrings Loaded Pockets

hmm they arent to expensive in the uk and ireland :)
    and i couldnt answer your answer on scaring animals,no bears in ireland :rofl:

18. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

Crazy Canuck likes this.
  19. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Fox 40 mini whistle on my keyring everyday and have done so for the past four or five years. No, I don't use it very often, but I feel safer knowing that it is there in case of an earthquake or getting lost on a hiking trail. I did use it once. I had taken a fall in the garage and had twisted my ankle badly enough that I could not get up. My husband was home, but far enough way that he could not hear me call for him. Fortunately, the whistle was there with my keys in my pocket. The sound alerted him and brought my husband to me. He was able to get me out of the garage and to the aid that I needed. The fox 40 whistle is pea-less, black (and practically invisible) and weighs as light as a feather. I forget that it is there on my keys most of the time. EDC a whistle. It has its uses.

Crazy Canuck likes this.
  20. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

It might, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

My opinion, based on observing animal behavior, is that loud, deep noises are more intimidating that soft or high-pitched ones. Think about it... the really :censored: animals usually have a pretty :censored: war-cry. Big dogs have a big WOOF, big cats have a roar or growl, elephants have a loud trumpet, etc.

I would think a vuvuzela or air horn would be more effective in this regard, but I'd prefer to put my faith in a big-bore rifle or revolver (not that that's always possible).

I have actually considered carrying a plastic vuvuzela as a survival tool because low-pitched sounds carry further than high pitched sounds, and because they're cheap, disposable, and weatherproof. I just wish they made them a little shorter.

Take2 likes this.