1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a 'special' knife to restaurants?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Moshe ben David, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

Maybe we should bring a stone to put an edge on the restaurant knives instead.:) The Lansky Blade Medic is a personal favorite for something like this.

2. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I'm usually carrying a DMT Diafold in X-Coarse/Coarse that would do the job in short order, although it would remove their serrations in the process. But if they aren't going to bring me a sharp knife, why should I give them one back?

3. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

It's not an issue of you giving them a sharp knife back, it's about you enjoying your steak. You could also think about it as your improving the next guys dinner as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. dandan

dandan Empty Pockets

I carry a Spyderco Wolfspyder as EDC.

I don't go out to restaurants that often and order steak. I usually have chicken or fish. In both cases the supplied knife is sufficient. When there is bread on the table , it is usualyl cut anyway , in a basket.( in France we have the traditional baguette).

When and if I have steark , then I have no problem in whipping out my Spyderco. The waiters dont care what you use.

As the area where I live is rural , we have plenty of farm workers and trades people who frequent restaurants, most carry a knife( a folder) .

In our local Salle de Fetes ( Village Hall) , we regularly have community functions , where bread is served with the meal , if the bread needs to be cut,most guys here will get out their knife - usually a grubby Opinel or Laguiole , rarely a stainless one !!

No one bats an eye when you cut bread , cheese or any food with your own knife.
    We are not paranoid in this country about knife carry.
    Heaven forbid , you do that in the UK!!

5. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

How about you're doing that in Paris, esp. after those terrorist attacks?

6. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

The Brits are the only ones who get squishy about knives.

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

umm. Why then pray tell, do we see so many posts here about the illegality of knife carry in places like Germany, Denmark, etc. -- which in turn gave rise to stringencies on the types of knives available in those places, and in turn resulted in companies like Spyderco marketing models of short blade length, required two-handed opening, etc.?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

There are many illegal things that doesn't however mean people get excitable, an illegal knife would be an an additional charge.

9. Moshe ben David

Point taken. I had an expectation that if the knives are constrained that much it would mean the populace had a strongly negative feeling towards seeing them carried and used publicly... guess I was wrong.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I stopped ordering steak out when I learned to cook it properly on a grill. Cheaper and better when done correctly at home. That said, I always have a knife on me and more likely than not, it is my wife that request the use of it when eating out. I rotate through many different knives but if we are going out to eat, I try to carry one of her favorites. In no particular order she prefers; Bradford guardian 3 fixed blade, Spyderco Chaparral, Spyderco Endura, and Spyderco Sage 2. (She is less fond of the Spyderco Techno and Tusk (too short) or the Spyderco Farid K2 (too big)) She generally uses one of my knives for whatever she orders. It's a great win-win situation, I provide sharp utensils whenever she wants them, I never get grief about my knife purchases.

I recently acquired a Lionsteel M1 fixed blade and am anxious to go out to eat and let her put it through the paces and see how she likes it.

Grizz

huntnow likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

So, in just the couple of weeks since I created this thread, there have been a few specific responses.

What surprised me just a bit was how few knife brands were called out. The two most 'dominant' so far are Spyderco and Opinel; Case has showed up also.

I had expected Opinel and sorta expected Spyderco (based on how often it shows up in pics of backyard barbecue!), but Case surprised me. Can't help but wonder as time goes on if mention of Kershaw and ZT will increase; and wondering about BM!

L'chaim -- and Bon Appetit!

Moshe ben David

12. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

It all comes down to how easy to clean and keep clean until the next meal. Anything with stainless steel and simply constructed handle would work great. The handle on my Opinel no 10 was somewhat waterproof with baked in cooling oil. It easy to keep food particles away from the locking collar with the longer edge.

13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

The best bet on this would be either a folder with fine serrations, esp. at the tip, to make the serrations cut when the tips are worn off from the plate or using a wharncliffe blade where only the very tip has contact to that super hard and dulling surface.

Maybe just get yourself a Why so serious? from Monsieur Roland Lannier and dine in style ;)

That Movie Guy likes this.
  14. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

How did you treat your Opinel to avoid it swelling with the moisture?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

15. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

I looked that up, nice looking knife

flnder and RoadWizard like this.
  16. jabe1

jabe1 Loaded Pockets

I will use whatever I have with me, usually an old Vic Pioneer (from the 80s). I have been caught using the unglazed bottom of a coffee mug to sharpen whatever they have for me to use, while my wife shakes her head in despair...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Probably best not to overgeneralize.

18. Moshe ben David

Well, this thread has been languishing idle for over a year...

Thought I'd update with what I've settled on for my 'restaurant/dining' carry.

I have a pocket slip that has slots for two knives -- although I guess they could be used for a pen and a light or whatever. But the slots won't take anything of much girth. If you're interested, this is the item; bought at BHQ: Scout Leather Pocket Protector; comes in either brown or black leather. https://www.bladehq.com/item--Scout-Leather-Co-Pocket-Protector--36224

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For a while I carried two Mercator Otter 'Black Cat' knives.

[​IMG]

Currently, I carry one of these together with a Case Slimline Trapper:

[​IMG]

Both of these knives slice through steaks with a single draw. I usually dedicate the Case for slicing steak, etc. I also sometimes like to have a snack of say an apple, some cheese, etc.; the 'Black Cat' is the knife I usually turn to for that -- blade is a bit longer. Although it will slice through steak just as smoothly as the Case -- maybe even smoother! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

GrayMouser and ran23 like this.
  19. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I don't eat steak at restaurants often. Knowing how to run a Weber grill and living on farm, I always seem to leave disappointed.

But the last time I ordered a steak, New Years Eve 2018, it was a HUGE, 1-1/2" thick NY strip. It was great, but the restaurant's cutlery was seriously lacking. I slipped out my ZT0452 under the table and used it without anyone but the wife noticing. I have big hands.:D

To avoid dulling a knife on a ceramic plate, even at home with my steak knives, I cut almost through and lift the steak with my fork to slice through the last little bit. I've spent 25 years trying to teach the wife and kids to do the same. And have completely failed.:rolleyes:

20. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I have wished many times to bring my own stuff in a NYC steak restaurant. Most knives couldn’t even cut butter..