1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a 'special' knife to restaurants?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Moshe ben David, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So for some odd reason I suddenly found myself contemplating the phenomenon of dedicated 'steak knives'. When I was a kid and honestly for quite a few years past that, any steak house or even general restaurant always seemed to provide 'steak knives' when you ordered a steak, prime rib, etc. etc. Invariably these were serrated with what I'd call a medium size serration. I suspect in part this was so the restaurant did not have to sharpen knives nor have a liability from a 'guest' using an 'ultra' sharp knife and cutting themselves...

Even cutlery sold for home use either included such 'steak knives' or one would buy a special set of same for those 'special occasions'. In fact, in our 'everyday' flatware (can't call it silverware -- its all stainless!), all the knives have a sort of micro serration. Have had that set for about 40 years, never sharpened them, just sort of hack through meat with them...!

Here on edcf I've noticed folks showing pics from their barbecue etc including a knife they're using with it. None of which are SE; which given how some of the posters are known for sharpening skills did not surprise me.

So now to my questions after that long lead in:

1) When dining out do you make a point of carrying specific knife(s) for use at the restaurant?
    2) Are said knife(s) PE or SE?
    3) Which knife(s) do you 'dedicate' to carry when dining out, assuming that you do?

I'm hoping this will be interesting!

L'chaim and Bon Appetit!

Moshe ben David

0dBm, Stuart Mantel and Mark_Trail like this.
  2. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Yup! Opinel no 10 in stainless. I’d enjoy my steaks a lot more with a cleaner cut. I also have a set of Laguiole steak knives for home use. These are SE’ed. I like to use them on fish, chicken and vegetables. For red meats my no 10 win out everytime

Michael L and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

No.
    When having s steak I’ll use what cutlery is provided. In my neck of the woods you do still get a specific knife but granted, sometimes they are not the sharpest ones

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

When dining out I use whatever is provided. Here in the wilds of northern New Jersey they kinda frown on people supplying their own.

If I can't cut the steak, I'll send it and the knife back.

At home I have a set of carbon steel knives that we got as a wedding present. (About the same time as you ;-). When we get fancy, we have a better set of knives. Don't remember the manufacturer.

All are fine edged, no serrations on any of my kitchen knives except the bread knife.

Merry Christmas to all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Daveho likes this.
  5. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I don't take anything specific, but I always have a knife on me and I could use it if needed. It would typically be a traditional and would never have a serrated edge - I just don't care for them.

RoadWizard likes this.
  6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I'm with popedandy. I don't see any reason to take something specific, but I'll make sure I have a non-locking folder with a longer-ish blade just in case something is needed.

7. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

I’ve used a Case Hobo on occasion.

Jeff

popedandy likes this.
  8. TankTop5

TankTop5 Loaded Pockets

I’ve used my ESEE-4 camping and in the backyard BBQ’ing many times. Recently I decided to have a manly meal in front of the TV and used it to eat a rather large ribeye and potato. In case you’re wondering, cutting a steak on your handmade stone wear plate is the fastest way to dull just about any knife in no time flat

I suppose it could resharpen it as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deltaunit and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. Moshe ben David

You surprised me with the comment that the restaurant would frown on using your own knife. I would not be surprised if that were the case in places like Philly, LA (or anywhere in California for that matter!), Chicago, or NYC. Or most places in Europe! For some reason I just assumed NJ was not as uptight.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

The mindset in NJ about knives, etc really does suck, doesn't it? I usually don't eat steak out, since most of our dining is done in diners and I've yet to find one with a nice looking steak.

If I did plan on taking a knife out while dining, I think I'd go with an Opinel #8 or similar.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

11. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I don't carry anything specifically for the purpose, but I always carry something that will do the job if needed. It annoys my girlfriend when I use it, partly because she knows when I do so, I'm also making a statement about the quality of both the food and the service. I still remember a Christmas party years ago when my pocketknife made the rounds after someone else saw it gliding through my steak while they were sawing on theirs. Everyone at the table ended up using it, even her.

os2soliz, Treya, Sparky_D and 2 others like this.
  12. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

KAI makes a couple of folding steak knives you can carry with you specifically for the purpose. They have one under their KAI brand that is made of 420J2 steel (KAI 5700 folding steak knife, about $30-40), and a more expensive one under their Shun brand in VG10 (Shun DM5900 Higo-no Kami for about $100-110).

There have been a couple of occasions where I needed a sharper knife than was provided at a restaurant. I just used whatever I had on me at the time: a Victorinox Pioneer in one instance, and a Case Stockman on several other instances. I use them rather discreetly and no one really notices other than my wife, who has already been converted to the camp of having a good sharp pocket knife at all times.

If I were going to take a pocket knife with the specific intention of cutting food at a restaurant, I would take a Case Trapper in stainless steel. It has two good long and thin blades well suited to slicing and food prep.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

just two days ago It was my birthday and was treated to dinner at Bobby Flay's steak restaurant

wow what good food. the steak knifes they had where so very nice. looked great, felt great and cut nice

my son looked them up online from his phone they were for sale at $80.00 a piece

cant remember the brand.. I was impressed

14. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Nah man, Im not carrying a specific knife that I intend to use for my steak at a restaurant.

15. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

It all depends on where in NJ. In the northeastern part of the state, I've had people look at me and take a step back when I pull out a vicious looking SAK. :frantic: In other parts of the state, you could use a machete and not get a second look. Remember we are sandwiched between NYC and Philly

I don't even carry a larger folder anymore. When going to work I carry a Vic Executive in my pocket. The rest of the time it's a Vic Cadet. I think I have to move someplace where they appreciate a person who wears a Buck Hunter on their belt.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

After an incident a few years ago when a restaurant left me to saw away at a crusty loaf of bread with a butter knife, I’ve made a point of having a food-suitable knife in my
    pocket whenever we dine out.

My choice for the task is a Boker Urban Trapper. Its blade is stainless and long enough to slice the thickest of cheeseburgers neatly in half, yet it doesn’t call undue attention to itself (it even looks like a a steak knife).

Treya likes this.
  17. Moshe ben David

I'll have to look up those KAI steak knives. Case Trapper are in fact one of my favorite patterns; particularly the full size ones. This reminds me. About the time I first started hanging out here at edcf, someone posted about a knife he carried for steaks etc. IIRC, it was a Case Slim Trapper -- which is full size in length but only has a single blade, the clip point. In fact I ended up getting one of those partly thinking I'd try it out in that role. Haven't had a chance to yet. I've also developed an interest in full size Texas Toothpick pattern -- but they are hard to find. Those would be similar in length to the large clip point on the large Trapper, but even more slender. Now I really think I'll get one.

OTOH, I do already have an Opinel No.8 I use for food; it would do a good job I believe!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Stuart Mantel likes this.
  18. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I too EDC the Executive most of the time, with a Cadet if I think I'll need something larger.

My EDC needs for a blade are not that great anymore. If I have something with scissors and a knife edge that cuts, I'm good the majority of the time.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Stuart Mantel likes this.
  19. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

20. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

I take my Opinel No. 8 in stainless. A ceramic plate will ruin any knife edge. So I bring the least expensive knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk