1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a light on your key ring?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Gatsby, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

If so, what do you carry and how often do you use it (i.e. is it a daily use light or mostly a backup for a pocket/holster/clip EDC light?)?

Just wondering - I've been thinking about dropping my Liteflux LF2 off my key ring. I love the light - and it really is a versatile and flexible light. But I very much don't like heavy key rings and the LF2 is a bit large given how often I use it - which is not that frequently since I almost always have another EDC light on my person (and another in my briefcase) so it is almost always used on low. But for how I use it a Photon Microlight II or Freedom would likely be just as useful and a lot smaller and lighter.

So what are others experience with key ring lights?

2. matt0

matt0 Loaded Pockets

I had an L0D on my keychain for a while but after I got a few more suitable lights, I took it off because I found I wasn't using it very much. Lately, I've been carrying my SF E1B.

3. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I, too, carry an LF2 for its all-around handiness. It's on a seperate "tool" keyring (along with one of those pill-fob/diffuser thingies containing a spare battery) that stays in the pocket.

On the keyring is a Photon MicroLight (lightweight, compact) in red so as not to blind me while trying to find a keyhole in the dark.

4. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a E01 on my keyring. Then I lightened my keyring and it moved into my right front pocket in a leather pocket organizer I made. Then it became a gift to my father for his keys. I now carry a NiteCore EX10 in my leather pocket organizer.

5. Ainsley

Ainsley Loaded Pockets

I have a LF2X but it doesn't go on my keychain, I almost always have it clipped in my left pocket. I do however have a L0D on my keychain.
    It is kind of redundant and I have been considering a change but can't quite decide.

I like the LF2X vastly more than the L0D, but it is a little heavier and longer, so not as suited for keychain carry.

6. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

LOD + Vic Rambler + something (pill fob, thumb drive, etc) on a tool keychain, Photon Freedom on the actual keyring

7. Rochefort

Rochefort Loaded Pockets

I carry a 50lm Wee NS with my keyman/micra. Its small enough to be comfortable in my frontpocket and definitely bright enough to see even a bit further when I need to. And the blue trits help me find it in the dark.

8. itsrob

itsrob Empty Pockets

I carry a photon x-light which is really lightweight and bright (enough - its not as bright as my arc but its lighter and smaller). i thought i might have a problem with turning it on accidentally when it rattles around in my pockets with everything else but that has only happened once.

9. David.s

David.s Loaded Pockets

Yep, i carry a streamlight nano, tiny very bright and lasts for ages.

phil_kelly likes this.
  10. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

On my keychain I currently carry a Photon Microlight. I somethings carry an Arc P AAA on my keychain, but right now it is the Photon. The Photon is a great keychain light. Plenty bright, really durable, well built,

I know where you are coming from. I have been trying to go more minimal, and yet carry enough to feel comfortable that I have what I may need.

I really dislike very much the huge, massive, ginormous remote fob for my car. I tried to live without it, but it makes locking all the doors in the car really time consuming.

Mark

11. Mr. kydex

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

Right now I too use a Photon microlight II on my keychain.

David.S,
    the streamlight nano looks interesting, how do you like it and how does it compare to a Photon?

12. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

I keep a Fenix E01 on my keyring. I have this in addition to my EDC lights. It hardly gets used and serves as a reassuring emergency backup. I prefer the AAA format of the E01 as the battery is easy to replace. Mine removes easily from the main keyring if prolonged use is required. I also have a diffuser for it, much like the Fenix one for the L1 series.

13. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I put Photon IIs on all my rings several years ago. Smaller than most keys, emergency usage only.

14. David.s

David.s Loaded Pockets

I have only had hands on with the Photon 1, and its a lot brighter than that, tbh id say its brighter than my fenix EO1.

hth

15. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I've had an ArcAAA on my keychain since around 2004. It's my backup, and it gets used very rarely because I normally rely a 1x123 for all tasks.

16. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I always have a Photon Microlight II on my keyring, and often have a Fenix E01 clipped on as well. If I have another 1xAAA light on my person (when I'm not at work I often have an Arc AAA on a ti chain around my neck) I'll leave the Fenix off my keyring.

17. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

Right now all I've got is a Lighthound fauxton on my keychain.

I am interested in replacing it with a Fenix E01.

18. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I have a Photon Freedom (Doug Ritter) on my main keychain, which is suspended from an Atwood TacStrap about mid-way in my right front pocket. I also have an old Pelican L1 on the keyring that holds my car key and remote. Both are backups, as I also carry either an SF E2D Defender or E1B Backup in a pants pocket.

19. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Arc AAA here. It doesn't see much use, and is there mostly as a backup. I will be replacing it with a Mako at some point when they are released.

20. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

On my keys - Fenix LOD I just got for CHEAP!  I don't use it, since I edc a(n) NDI.  Just keep it around as backup.

A note on the LOD....I can only use it on high, on the low setting the PWM flickers and makes me nauseous.  :D