1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a handkerchief? Why?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by PatriotAR15, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

This one put a smile on my face this morning :) but I do agree with using the hankie as a snot rag only as a last resort.

CO always make it a point to have me carry a clean and neatly folded handkerchief all the time. Most often it just ends up in my pocket all day.
    Other days, save me from what could have been a very embarrassing circumstance.

A handkerchief is a personal hygiene item and not really meant to be shared, with the rare exception -- as able_man shares -- for diplomatic purposes ;)

2. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I carry one for many reasons its used more to use as a clean rag but it handy if you need it and needs to be folded right if you do I keep one in my coat and my coat comes with me almost everday its cold up here in the morning all year long almost.

3. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I was brought up to always carry a clean bandanna/ handkerchief. A handkerchief/bandanna is inexpensive, easily laundered and very useful. I carry a clean one always and keep a spare in my bag.

4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Something proper about offering a clean, fresh handkerchief/bandanna to a lady and then telling her to keep it. Especially in emotional circumstances.

thatotherguy and keeper like this.
  5. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

:thumbsup: :iagree:

6. Makeshift

Makeshift Loaded Pockets

Just ordered a burnt orange one :)

Jeffrey

7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I was brought up to carry a handkerchief and I am glad I do everyday, as I have on 2 occassions used it as a makeshift bandage when nothing else was availible.

8. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Especially if you emboider your name and phone number on your hankies. :laugh: Just kidding, that is indeed a gentlemanly use of a (clean) hankerchief.

One more possible use is as a key silencer. If you don't want your keys to make noise when you move, wrap your hankerchief around them before you put them in your pocket. Also saves pockets from wear and tear.

thatotherguy likes this.
  9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ok, I think Monkeemoves wins for "most creative use". ;)

I walk around town a lot - in cold weather, that means a runny nose. In hot weather, sweat. Portland rains, so I frequently need to dry off my glasses.

As for how - folded and in my back left pocket. Bandanas for preference just for the size.

-Trevor

10. SFSRVN

SFSRVN Loaded Pockets

I carry one but hardly use it. BUT, if I ever needed to, I would. A few weeks ago, I was sitting in a board room and my commander's nose started bleeding. At the time the weather was extremely dry. Anyway, I gave him my handkerchief so he wouldn't bleed all over his uniform or the board room. He excused himself to clean up. He was going to give the handkerchief back but I declined.
    I usually just have it as part of my EDC...could be used as a bandage or dressing, improvised filter, etc. I suppose I see handkerchief and bandannas as being the same.

11. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

I carry one for reasons which have already been mentioned before (first aid, filter etc.) plus I use it to protect my iPhone in my pocket.

12. ww2fanatic

ww2fanatic Loaded Pockets

I almost always carry one and beside the usual cleaning the hands/sweat I use it a lot to blow my nose in. as long as you refold it you are good

keeper likes this.
  13. redandshane

redandshane Loaded Pockets

I always carry one ;I also cycle as has been previously mentioned and boy does the back of my glove know about it when I forget a handkerchief!!
    When I am hiking or camping they are useful in so many ways that not to EDC one for me would be a major omission
    I have a mixture of styles my favorites are bandanna types but I also scored some Dutch army ones which are pretty cool
    I also find them invaluable when eating a doner kebab with sauce which may well be a familiar scenario to UK members

14. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

I carry a red bandana. I fold and iron it so it dosen't take up much room. I keep it in my left back pocket (wallet in the right back pocket).
    I've used it many times for wiping sweat off my face. Cut my hand once and used it as a band aid until I could get to place to clean up and get a proper bandage. Wipe my sunglasses. Clean off my knife blade. Wrap it around my head to the hair out of my eyes/face when I'm working on something. Wrap up my keys so they don't scratch my phone if I'm in some gym shorts... I think it's an overlooked EDC item that is very useful.

15. thenextarcher

thenextarcher Loaded Pockets

i use to it wipe my knives, sunglasses, wipe hands

16. Strumento

Strumento Loaded Pockets

To do magic.

17. Doric

Doric Loaded Pockets

I mostly use one for wiping sweat, Arizona's summers are brutal.

18. CJC

CJC Loaded Pockets

I carry two--a clean white one for weeping ladies and a bandanna for errant barbecue sauce.

19. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Yes, because I have kids

20. burnd4life

burnd4life Loaded Pockets

I carry a bandana in my back pocket, and suprisingly I use it constantly. I have several so they go in the wash with the jeans I was wearing.