1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a FAK on your person?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by qkarl, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Guerilla

Guerilla Loaded Pockets

I carry a basic FAK in my EDC bag. I have a more serious trauma kit on a chest rig in my trunk. I could probably add a quick clot to my bag. Hmmm...

2. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

I HIGHLY recommend the ITS Tactical Boo-Boo kit (or boo-boo kit plus) to handle every day routine injuries. Highest grade components, packed well, good price. I have many of them distributed throughout my little world

Inner Prop likes this.
  3. semper paratus

semper paratus Empty Pockets

Yes in all my bags and a big one in each truck. The bags have the basics bandaids alcohol whips blister dressings tape and a length of ribbon that can be used for a sling or whatever. The truck bags are stocked with bandaids to Israelis bandages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

I carry a Mini Dark Kit by Dark Angel medical. It's similar to the Trauma Pack pro above but has gloves and 100mph tape in it. The packaging is a hasty occlusive dressing. It's about the size of a pack of smokes ($40.00). I have other more complete kits in my EDC bags, but I carry a gun so I assume the possibility of getting shot. I can throw this in a pocket when I don't carry a bag or am separated from it. My EDC has a boo boo kit. The pocket kit is for life threatening issues requiring immediate care. As far as treating myself, I'll give myself at least a chance. If I'm unable, well you never know what might happen, maybe someone will help. At least I'll have something for them to use if I can't

5. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

Dang, that stuff is too expensive to practice with. How do you know how to use it? Are these kits just for EMTs/Paramedics? I'm 1st aid, CPR, AED trained and I wouldn't know how to use the stuff in the DARK kits.

6. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Bags only. There's only just so much that can go wrong in the office where I work. There's no need for on person carry. The rest I leave to the professionals.

7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I found a Celox and Tourniquet Course (fairly) locally and went on that. It took a couple of hours and wasn't all that expensive (IMO). I believe that the European guidelines have now changed and that these should be built into workplace first aid courses as of sometime next year.

(Just to clarify, I don't have one of the DARK kits. After the course I bought a CAT TQ and some Celox Rapid Z-fold and added them to my EDC PFAK.)

Inner Prop likes this.
  8. gremlin078

I have had practice with the components. There are trainers available for those with the cash. Usually identified with blue wrapping and re usable. The SWAT T is nothing more than a giant rubber band folded up.All of this stuff is not as good as a dedicated full kit (which I have also) but very space efficient and suits my needs. Training examples are on youtube vids for free. Glove up,Stuff/pack wound, wrap rubber band (which has the directions printed into the rubber).

Inner Prop likes this.
  9. Jimmy Changa

Jimmy Changa Empty Pockets

That's the winning comment right there, kids.

[FULL DISCLOSURE] I'm a street EMT/Wilderness EMT and an instructor for both. [/FULL DISCLOSURE]

I applaud anybody and everybody who carries *any* type of FAK. You're better than 95% of the Great Unwashed Masses.

That said, if I had a life-threatening injury, I would much rather have somebody with *no* FAK -- but had the knowledge and ability of how to improvise -- than somebody carrying $500 worth of trauma kit on their person with little or no knowledge of how to use it.

Now, don't take this as a knock against anybody who has spent a lot of time, money or effort putting together a tricked-out FAK. However, if said person has not studied, AND PRACTICED (repeatedly), how to effectively deploy the items in said FAK, then it's not much more than a false-sense-of-security, IMNSHO.

One of the interesting ironies of teaching wilderness medicine is the noting inverse relationship between first-aid knowledge and skills and the size of the FAK.

10. Minister

Minister Empty Pockets

I carry an ifak on my bag that is always near during the workday. After work and on the weekend I have a mini ifak I keep in a cargo pocket. Swat-t, qc gauze, trauma dressing, nitrile gloves.

11. gremlin078

That's exactly why I can get away with a limited kit like the mini Dark. I've trained over the years with both blue trainers and expedients. Nothing beats a full kit if you have it available, but the Mini Kit fills the gap between that and nothing. Could do something with a bootlace and torn shirt if I had to, but rather avoid the chance tissue necrosis, if possible.

12. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

started with a pack from REI. i still wear a FAK today. used it MANY times.

13. coastwatcher42

coastwatcher42 Loaded Pockets

I carry a small FAK in my cargo pocket. It is a basic kit that I made up and keep in a small Loksak. It is based on the pocket FAK made by The Urban Prepper on his YouTube channel. It is mainly a booboo kit with no real trauma items but I do keep a SWAT tourniquet in the other cargo pocket.

14. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

I carry a blow out kit in my EDC bag. ( oales bandage, CAT TQ, casualties tag, large tegaderm, and a sharpie marker )