1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a FAK on your person?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by qkarl, Oct 18, 2015.

1. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

Second set is for the unsuspecting member of public to help hold someone's injuries in place while you treat....or you could split them open and tape over a 'hole' with them.

You might also split Pair 1 when putting them on ;)

For yourself you do not want to get cross contamination from a bleeding patient (or other bodily fluids), you might also want to preserve forensics if it looks like a crime scene :)

steeps likes this.
  2. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Carrying 2 pairs of gloves is the old 2 is 1, 1 is none thing. It is very common to need multiples to avoid cross contamination or if the glove just gets too messy. Also, gloves are often used as trash bags for bio-waste. Hold bloody bandages in your gloved hand, turn the glove inside out, and throw away. Or just put trash inside the glove and toss. I don't carry 2 pair on me, instead I carry one pair in a cell phone pouch and several spares in my bag.

Steeps, you mentioned back pocket carry for a FAK. Obviously, you can't have anything solid or it'll be very uncomfortable. However, you could easily have a little baggie like a ziplok bag or an ALOKSAK bag with various bandaids/gauze/gloves/etc. Personally I prefer a small metal tin in a front pocket. It can carry harder items comfortably and is more durable.

steeps likes this.
  3. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

I don't carry anything on person, I have this small bag in my EDC bag

[​IMG]

Which has this stuff in it

[​IMG]

It is a work in progress.

My EDC bag comes into work with me everyday and when I know I am going to be away from home for more than a quick errand I have the bag in my car at the least.

My wifes car has a larger bag with quite a bit more.

Aside from some youtube videos I do not know how to use or have training for everything but I believe having it on hand for those that do is something. My sister-in-law has been a nurse for over 20 years (ER, ICU, L&D, etc.), brother-in-law was an EMT for years, now security and medical and one of my wife's good friends was an EMT for years, I know for a fact none of them carry anything with them or in their cars but would feel confident in their capabilities if needed.

Lou_G likes this.
  4. polak187

polak187 Loaded Pockets

In the field you put two pairs at the same time. When you work a bloody job and you need to get stuff from your bag you remove the top pair and now have a clean set to go so you don't cross contaminate. Also this is useful during hazmat jobs. It is also difficult to put fresh gloves back on after you worked for a while and your hands got sweaty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfabdaddy, Water-Rat and qkarl like this.
  5. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

Those laws requiring a certain level of training are almost always only forth professional setting. as a passerby assisting, good samaritan laws are intended to protect you from everything but being sued.

Sent from my VK410 using Tapatalk

6. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

Yes they have first aid stations but many don't get checked my warehouse has kits every where but they are all empty our onside med care has their own equipment but it takes up to 5 minutes to walk all the way to their office.

7. Ian McDevitt

Ian McDevitt Loaded Pockets

Wow, I just found this thread. Don't have time to comment fully except that "Countrygunner"? ......has got the RIGHT attitude. All those folks that preface their comments with ".....I don't have much (or any) FA training, but..." Probably shouldn't comment. All those guys who commented that a chest shot or shot to the torso will lay you up, I would ask you to search "TCCC" and how our military operates our battlefield medicine theory and practice......we strive for SELF AID FIRST, then BUDDY AID, then MEDIC AID.......AS THAT HAS SHOWN TO HAVE THE GREATEST CHANCE FOR OUR TROOPS TO SURVIVE.......But, what would we know from looking at thousands and thousands of injuries over all types of terrain / situations for the last 60 years.:oops:.............I will definitely stop back when I get home. Have to go to work and teach this now to another several hundred troops fighting the war on terrorism.....Later.

Paul B. likes this.
  8. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Every shop I've been in here in town has a Level 2 kit, supplied by a company called Zee Medical. The Zee guy comes in once a month to replenish supplies and give them a once over.

I can't speak for all the stores etc in town, but in most AED units are prominent and they have first aid kits mounted on walls, usually at customer service. None of these kits compare to what I have in my truck though. If it really came down to it, I can stabilize a patient while someone either grabs a store's kit or runs to my truck and grabs my bag. I don't live in a huge city. Ambulances are usually under 10 minutes away unless you're out of town.

In reality though, the only emergency I can think of needing an EDC type first aid kit would be if someone simply stopped breathing. Having a faceshield would be handy but could be improvised if need be. Bleeding can be staunched with direct pressure, elevation and pressure points. Broken bones just need to be immobilized. Sprains aren't an emergency. If someone just needs a band aid, it's not an emergency.

I'm not saying EDCing a IFAK is a bad idea. I have pretty heavy duty kit that lives in my truck. I have a solid kit that comes with me in my pack when I hike, fish etc. I have a pretty serious med box at home. I have advanced first aid training (just under paramedic level). I just personally don't feel the need to have tourniquets etc crammed into pockets etc and weigh myself down.

9. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

Neither elevation nor pressure points are effective in stopping bleeding and improvising a face shield is about as good as not having one.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

10. Ian McDevitt

Ian McDevitt Loaded Pockets

They not meant to stop bleeding, they are meant to SLOW IT and give the provider some extra seconds to use other means. The steps to control bleeding are used together, at once. Elevation WITH DIRECT PRESSURE, yada, yada, yada.......also.........there are only four pressure points used on the human body. They are THE TWO HIGH UP IN THE INSIDE GROIN AREA, and THE TWO HIGH ON THE INSIDE OF THE ARMS IN THE BRACHIAL AREA.......Those are chosen for three simple reasons... Guess what they are?

11. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I have a first aid kit in each of my vehicles tucked away out of view and the only time I carry a FAK on my person is when I am out in the woods. Anything on my person is generally made up of a compression bandage, large 3M wound strips, self adhering gauze and a tourniquet.

12. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

I know not all businesses are bad about that but you don't know which ones do keep theirs updated so I just carry a decent kit in my bag and a much more extensive one in my truck. My bag contains a Israeli bandage, RATS, gauze, cpr mask, wrap, and gloves plus my boo boo kit. My truck is meant as a kit to help when in remote areas or a MCI

13. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Recently purchased an ankle-carry med rig to try out. It seems like a decent option....provided I'm wearing pants, lol
    Similar kits are available to hold just TQ's or you can get fancy and find a rig that holds a TQ, pressure dressing, gloves and has room for more.

14. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

For my part I don't understand why someone would train in and carry a firearm but not train in and carry a first aid kit. Without going over old ground I think even the most die hard 2nd amendment people would probably accept that the latter is far more likely to save your life than the former.

Paul B. likes this.
  15. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Fair enough. I don't carry a bag though. I carry what I can fit in my jeans pockets. :)

steeps likes this.
  16. Anande

Anande Loaded Pockets

Yeah pockets are a bit small for a first aid kit. I don't get how people can stuff their pockets with a bunch of things all day long

Outbound likes this.
  17. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

You can fit a surprising amount of capability into a surprisingly small space.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Outbound and Paul B. like this.
  18. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

You sure can fit alot in a small space when packed right. However, to be blunt (if I may, no offense intended) that nice little kit you show is a boo boo kit. There's nothing wrong with that. But other than the gloves, absolutely nothing in there is going to be of use in an true emergency where I can't wait a few minutes to get to a full size kit.

A true emergency is one where I need oral airways, chest seals, a CPR mask, EMT shears, pressure dressings. I'm talking major trauma or medical distress here; gunshot wounds, drug overdose, heart attack, massive bleeding. Something where I need to make a critical intervention so the casualty actually has a chance of survival. The kit you have would be of next to no use in such a situation.

I suppose that's where my whole point has been. My EDC "system" if we want to call it that, doesn't allow for advanced trauma equipment. 99.999% of the time, if someone needs something from an EDC IFAK, it's for something like a sliver. Hell, I EDC a pretty extensive trauma/medical kit in my truck and I've used it once in 5 years. That was in the parking lot of my townhouse complex when someone pulled in because their passenger OD'd on fentanyl. Used my blanket and gloves. Was about to use an oral airway when the ambulance and fire rescue pulled in, all of 5 minutes after being called.

In my case with EDC, I have two pockets to work with. I refuse to use my back pockets because sitting on stuff is uncomfortable and can actually lead to back problems. I have my phone in my front right pocket. My knife is in that pocket as well, but uses the pocket clip so it's out of the way of the phone. Wallet goes front left pocket. Keys are on my belt loop with one of those titanium bottle opener tool thingys. No room left for anything else. LOL

To each their own though. If you can make an IFAK work in your EDC, more power to you. It's certainly better than a kick in the nuts with a frozen mukluk. :D

Anyways. Sorry for the hijack. :)

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  19. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Agreed, it's a boo boo kit. Absolutely no offence taken. It's a slightly enhanced boo boo kit in that it also contains the gloves you mentioned, a CPR face shield, and aspirin for use in a cardiac emergency. At a pinch the bag itself and the tape could be worked into a chest seal - not as good as a purpose made one, but that's what my training says to use (UK workplace FAKs don't generally carry chest seals).

For me, a boo boo kit is worth having because turning up for a meeting covered in blood can get one talked about, even if it's your own! ;)

My main kit is in my bag and holds everything I'm trained on (not a lot, but better than nowt!)

Outbound and Paul B. like this.
  20. bigfabdaddy

bigfabdaddy Loaded Pockets

I have been considering taking an EMT class in my area to better help if the need arises in the back country.

Sent from my Z932L using Tapatalk

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.