1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a FAK on your person?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by qkarl, Oct 18, 2015.

1. qkarl

qkarl Loaded Pockets

There are times when we have to leave our man packs behind and venture through the world without looking like a tourist, so the question is, do you carry a first aid kit on your person and how would/do you do it?

ManVsLawn, hal_chase and Weej like this.
  2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I rescale it. If im limited in space I only carry the most imortant things. 3 pairs of gloves and a 6'inch israeli/olaes and a swat-t tq fits fine in a cargo pocket. If i have space, I carry a full kit. Small bandaids and stuff that can be found everywhere gets removed first.
    The last thing to leave my kit is gloves.

3. bigfabdaddy

bigfabdaddy Loaded Pockets

I need to build a kit for each of the cars my family has along with my personal truck. I was thinking a tz some israelis and gloves would be nice to have at all times but with going in to the IT industry and wearing slacks with a button down shirt I'm honestly not sure how I am going to EDC much of anything.

Cheeser, Weej and thekapow like this.
  4. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

No. Just a few band aids and some over the counter medicine.

Weej likes this.
  5. bigfabdaddy

Sounds like what I carry right now anytime I leave the house with the kids.

Weej likes this.
  6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

bigfabdaddy said:

You obviously won't be able to carry anything for a major trauma incident without some sort of bat belt, fanny pack, or bag. However, I carry a personal FAK in an Altoids size tin most days and I'm wearing slacks, shirt, and tie. Just the basic comfort items, but it works. Tissues, 2x2s, bandaids, eye drops, chapstick, nail clippers, Tylenol. Add to that folding scissors on the outside of the tin, gloves in a cell phone holster, and a handkerchief. Tape is another good thing to carry, I've got my gloves stuck in between a pair of dead gift cards that are wrapped in duct tape. Though med tape, or various kinds of tape might be a better option. I'm looking for a better way to carry the gloves though as the tape residue gets on the gloves. I'm thinking a small plastic baggie maybe.

Weej and qkarl like this.
  7. bigfabdaddy

I will be carrying a "laptop" bag that will also contain my tablet and my Leatherman Surge, bit kit, extension, and small tool kit for working on hardware, along with cables and USB drives along with other needed IT junk.

BarneyG likes this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I don't really go anywhere without my bag anymore.

I've been to one too many weddings, receptions, family gatherings, and other formal events and needed things out of it. It's at least close by.

When I'm shooting in a competition, I keep an ITS EDC Trauma kit in my back left pocket, and most of my other stuff stays in my range bag.

I do this because, when I'm not shooting, I'm either ROing or keeping score, so I don't get to to back to my bag except moving between stages and reloading mags. I don't carry the bag because it would just be in the way.

Cheeser likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Just a few plasters in my wallet basically.

10. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

i have an altoids tin with some small, basic first aid supplies.

it stays in my edc bag, but if i go out and don't really need to carry the bag, i can grab really quickly and throw it in a pocket.

Sheep Dog likes this.
  11. Kody Page

Kody Page Loaded Pockets

I carry a TK4 tourniquet, chest decompression needle and roll of duct tape in my back left pocket. And I carry a R.A.T.S. tourniquet threaded through my belt loops. I carry the stuff that is hardest to be improved in a trauma incident. So I don't keep band aids or anything like that on me. Sure, a tension pneumothorax has a low probability of occurring, but if it does then you're ally NEED that needle right now! Tourniquets all suck to improvise, so I carry 2. The R.A.T.S. is REALLY quick to get out this way and it's easy to carry. I can pack a wound with anything and seal/apply pressure with the duct tape. I can carry this all the time as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also keep an SOE medical satchel in my car that is loaded with tourniquets, pressure bandages, gauze, Nasopharyngeal airways, chest decompression needles etc. So I'm never to far from a more capable med bag. I can uncoil the strap and throw it in my backpack if I'm traveling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You should always carry life saving equipment on you! Even if you don't know how to use it (which you SHOULD get training for if you don't), it might be used on YOU by somebody that does!

12. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

You have some great points :)! just wondering whats your background? great job on the NPA's btw, those are underrated. only thing that i dont like is your choice of tourniquet, (Imo the rats is one of the worst designs ever to enter the market)... but thats a long discussion.. thought about carrying glucose(gel)? hypoglycemia is one of those things that just comes up again and again in the list of calls, and people gets surprised how hard it is to find sugar (in a form that is eatable by someone who has major "D" problems) when they need it.

13. bigfabdaddy

I too was wondering about the training you have. I know in PA to use a decompression needle you need to be a paramedic at minimum.

Sent from my Z932L using Tapatalk

Cheeser and thekapow like this.
  14. Kody Page

Kody Page Loaded Pockets

I took Immediate Action Medical at Tactical Response. It was taught by Calvin Lim who is an EMT and there was also a trauma surgeon in my class that gave instruction. We went over the big 3 killers of a gun fight: Critical Bloodloss, Blocked Airway and Tension Pnuemothorax. Under their instruction and supervision is where I learned to do chest decompression. The scopes of the class was very narrow, it was how to keep yourself and loved ones alive after a trauma incident until an ambulance can get you to a hospital.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in Kansas law about a certification required for a decompression needle. Tension Pneumothorax usually presents a lot later in the scheme of immediate action (usually in the ambulance or hospital from what I understand). But if it's left untreated the rate of death is 100%.

So I guess the question that's going through my mind in thinking through all this is, "What happens if I do nothing?"

Sheep Dog, shmook and Lou_G like this.
  15. Kody Page

Kody Page Loaded Pockets

Also I like how you've got the 6" Israeli! I think I might have to find a way to incorporate that as well! :)

16. MedicYeti

MedicYeti Loaded Pockets

In my pocket pouch, that I carry everywhere, I have some bandaids of various sizes, duct tape and super glue.

Water-Rat likes this.
  17. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I keep a few band aids and some gorilla tape in my wallet that I use regularly. I have used the gorilla tape in a pinch when I didn't have any other resources. This is not going to aid in a bullet wound, but for most everyday (I work in construction) tasks, it has been sufficient for me.

I keep a bigger kit in my EDC bag that has bandages, alcohol swabs, more types of tape, ibuprofen, tylenol, aspirin, pepto, imodium, benadryl, some cold medicine, first aid cream, contact solution, etc. This knocks out about 99.9% of any problems that I see on a regular basis. I also keep a bigger FAK in my car's 72 hour kit, but I haven't touched it in probably a year. I really need to go through it and make sure everything is still good...especially with winter coming in my area.

Water-Rat likes this.
  18. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I keep a boo boo kit in a cargo pocket and full trauma kit in my vehicle. I sharpen a lot of knives for guys. Sometimes I give them a bandaide along with their knife.

qkarl and Water-Rat like this.
  19. bigfabdaddy

I really need to step up the FAK in my home, cars, and on my person. Right now all we have is band-aids and cheap tape in the house. I really need to get on top of this stuff.

20. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

no time like the present.

i've had a fak in my shop since i built it. but a couple weeks ago i realized that the store-bought kit i had was sorely lacking in some items. all it really had was a few bandages, a few gauze pads, antibiotic ointment, some tweezers, a small gauze wrap, and a cold pack.

with the tools i have, i needed something more substantial. so after watching a few videos, i went out and bought a bigger container (meant for small items like screws, nuts, washers, etc.) and built a much better kit.

i was able to triple the amount of everything in there (quadruple on some) and added in some other items.

i plan on building another one to keep in the house. i already have a pretty good one in my truck and smaller version of that one that rides in my edc bag.

Last edited by sk33tr, Oct 21, 2015
    Water-Rat and bigfabdaddy like this.