1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you carry a back-up knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by speedy, Sep 20, 2017.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Do you carry a back-up knife? For example, for the most part I go everywhere with my SAK on my left, and my LM on my right. But recently been carrying a Spyderco Delica in the back of my pants clipped to my pants and the clip covered by the belt due to size and weight I don't even notice it's there.

Am I the only one that does this?

2. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

I do that a lot. At work I have a box cutter on my belt and a Gerber EZ Out clipped in my pocket. Sometimes I even have a small Opinel or something in my pocket. Add to that what's in my EDC bag: A baby EZ Out, Opinel #6, A medic EZ Out and I think thats it. :)

3. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

That's awesome! Reminds me when I first found this knife shop in Monroe CT (he relocated but still an :censored:), when we spoke and talked about carry I think he pulled something like 4 or 5 knives.. One was HUGE! Uses it on mostly on Thanksgiving to carve the turkey. So just in case someone says you and I are excessive, they really don't know what excessive is.

Still amazed he can keep that shop open when you can get everything he sells either in: Walmart, Cabelas, Dicks, Bass Pro, Amazon.com and so on. When I shopped there things weren't readily available as they are today; I feel store fronts will almost be a thing of the past. Maybe completely if we start using drones and doing same day deliveries you can probably order clothes and shoes and return via drone what doesn't fit much like going to the store and using a changing room. Makes you also wonder, the limiting amount of jobs that will be. I am so glad I will be dead before all that crap; hopefully.

Guido Nova likes this.
  4. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Yes ... sort of. I usually carry an assisted folder and a small Leatherman which has a knife blade.

5. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I try to limit myself to a dozen knives at a time. I don't always succeed.

CIVSD, cole3418, twin63 and 5 others like this.
  6. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

Used to, but I've found that my EDC has downsized with age, to just a small SAK and slip-joint folder.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I almost always have a second knife. At home, I'll usually have 3-5 knives on me. Usually at home I'll have a bigger, locking tough blade for dirty jobs and a smaller slip joint, often a SAK for more detailed tasks. When I'm out, I'll typically have a small locking knife and a larger slipjoint. Different knives for different jobs.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Typically when I'm out and about:

> a primary blade which is generally a PE but sometimes a SE
    > a secondary blade which complements the primary (in other words one of the two will be a PE and the other a SE)
    > my LM Blast; which of course has a decent size blade
    > my LM Squirt PS4, which has a rather small but useful penknife blade

Hanging around the house?

> SAK Huntsman
    > Spyderco Ladybug H1, SE blade
    > LM Rev

IF I'm in business attire:

> Alox Cadet
    > LM Squirt PS4

Note that there are generally a couple of knives in whichever bag I'm carrying that day; also couple of knives as well as a LM ST300 in the car.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

twin63 and Water-Rat like this.
  9. Bdon

Bdon Loaded Pockets

I always carry at least 2 bladed items. One for clean work and the other for everything else.
    Having young kids, I often have to cut food and other things for them.

My typical carry is my Mini griptilian and my Swiss Army mechanic. Plus I carry a SAK Rambler on my keys everyday. That affords me 4 blades of various sizes plus a set of scissors.

When I need to go a bit lighter I carry my mini grip (or another lightweight folder) and my custom leatherman CS with plier swap.

While working I usually carry my Skeletool cx and a Swiss Army Spartan or pioneer x.

Water-Rat likes this.
  10. Donut
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Donut Loaded Pockets

I usually carry a small knife and a normal medium sized knife.

I guess you could say backup.

11. 19cohiba75

19cohiba75 Loaded Pockets

Just picked up a Kershaw Emerson 4KXL and it found itself in my left pocket while my Spyderco PM2 was in my right pocket. Spartan Knives Enyo attached near buckle and a Leatherman MUT in a HSGI Taco carrier. Looking for a Spyderco Matriarch 2 to take the place of the Kershaw. I have issues !!! Lol !!! Oh yeah, I picked up the Kershaw Emerson and CRKT Obake on clearance at Walmart for 7 bucks each !!!

12. mbick

mbick Loaded Pockets

Yep. I've usually got a SAK (big blade used for cutting food; small blade for other stuff) and a Gerber Curve.

13. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

no, no back up or secondary knives.

But I am always carrying 2; 3" in my front pocket and 3.5 - 4" in the back pocket. Different knives for different tasks, both are primary - depending on what is needing to be done.

Today it is my 586-141 in the front pocket, and an RHK 3.5" XM Harpoon in the back.

Oh, and a BMK Arcane in the pocket of my housecoat... ;)

14. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

When I worked the IT department at Fleet Bank in Hartford CT there was this awesome CEO of a guy that always had a sheath on his belt with the oversize SAK (the one with everything in it) while wearing his suit. I knew then he was a cool guy.

15. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

At the office I keep with my condiments a Buck 110; at home I use kitchen knives.

16. Dustin.G

Dustin.G Loaded Pockets

I used to. When I first became obsessed with 'EDC' I carried way too much crap. Three knives, two flashlights, and a bunch of other stuff I never used. Over time it has slimmed down to one knife, one AAA flashlight, and a bottle/pry tool on my keys. Essentially, anything I didn't use regularly slowly went away. I work a desk job and don't need pockets full of gear all the time. Sometimes I add a CRKT minimalist on my belt or back pack strap if I'm going to be out at night, or riding my bike for a long time, as well as a larger light.

17. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I carry more than I should. I carry a primary folder in my front pants pocket. I also carry a Gerber Dime...mainly for the tweezers. I carry a Leatherman Wave on my hip and it has two blades. I keep a SOG Centi stuffed in my hat band.

In my daily carry bag for work I also have a Spyderco Dragonfly II and a CRKT Minimalist.

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

The list of mine you copied is just the items for around the house; just above it in same post was a larger one when I'm out and about! I only included what is on my person in any of these. When I'm out and about, I usually have a messenger bag or something; in that one I keep an Opinel #8 and a light weight cutting board for fruit etc.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

19. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

I read the title on the main page and went "Excuse me? A back up? One? On this forum? Are you kidding me???

Guido Nova likes this.
  20. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Interesting how great minds think alike. That's my usual dress/discrete carry load. Usually complimented by a Derma-shave saw, a BIC lighter and a AAA LED Maglite Solitaire.