1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you care what others think of your EDC knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jzmtl, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Junker

Junker Empty Pockets

I dont pay to much attention to others when I need to use my knife...Its there for me to use and thats what I do. Its not something I play with or anything like that. I used to carry a 5 dollar Kobalt folding utility razor knife for about a year for all my cutting tasks, and even something as tool looking as it got looks. But my job remodeling mall stores called for a sharp blade generally several times a day to cut boxes and shrink wrap off of materials...Now that I'm out of that line of work, I have been carrying a Benchmade Vex, and soon a full size Griptilian. Here in Ga there aren't any restrictions as far as I know. I don't carry my 3550 Pardue ever as its illegal for me to even own that blade. Usually depending on what people who see me using my knife say or do determines how I react. I might just call them a moron or sheep or something and leave it at that if I hear rude and/or stupid comments, or if they are nice about it I will just tell them I use it for only for cutting things that need to be cut. Doesn't usually stop people from thinking your gonna murder them though. :rant: I also carry a small Winchester non-locking 2 blade folder I got from wal-mart for the very sensitive and delicate insecure people. It can't be drawn or closed without two hands so generally no one really has the right to say jack to me. So yeah, I don't care what others think, unless its gonna make a huge scene with them complaining, but I don't show off my knives except to friends when I get a new one. They humor me sometimes but they are like most and don't see the purpose of being equipped with a knife for daily uses. Doesn't stop em from complaining when they need one though.

Proving how stupid people can be let me tell a story. One morning in Panama City, FL my boss walked out of the back of the store we were remodeling, which happened to be a "Man Alive", and to his truck parked no more than 7 feet from the back door of that particular mall store carrying a large ORANGE NAIL GUN, which also needs to be hooked up to compressor to even function. He was taking it to Home Depot to get it swapped or something as it was defective. Well about 5 minutes later 2 Panama City LEO's come in the back of the store with guns drawn while me and the one other employee were in the middle of running some screws with out cordless drills. They made us put the drills(Yellow Dewalts FYI) down still at gunpoint and they were a good 20 feet away...As if we were going to blow them away with out dewalts LOL. Apparently someone in the parking lot had called the law saying my boss had walked out of the back door with a gun in his hand. I'm sorry but how can you mistake a HUGE orange framing nailgun for a handgun? I've never even seen a orange handgun period. Needless to say after we explained the cops had a good laugh with us about it and let us go on about our work.

2. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

Where I live you're more likely to be frowned on if you don't carry a knife. There are a lot of show and tells but most people do look at me odd when they find out I EDC a 100 dollar knife. To most around here a gerber is the best money can buy. A benchmade? Is that good? Not that I have any thing against the other knives but I have dozens of 20 to 40 dollar knives. I don't carry any of them anymore.

3. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

This is very true. If you go waving your knife at McDonalds, expect trouble. If you are opening your child's happy meal toy you should be just fine.

I always carry a knife while at work, but tend to leave it at home when I go anywhere else. I just bought a Skeletool with the intention of carrying it everywhere. It seems it will replace my knife just fine and add a few other features with not much increase in weight or size. With the tool being its first function it shouldn't gather as many looks as my spring loaded blade I carry now. (see pic)

Attached Files:

4. sak_collector

sak_collector Empty Pockets

I gave up caring what people thought a long time ago. If people think of knives as weapons only, whether they see yours or not, they still think the same. I bring my EDC out when I need it, I dont wait for the weenies to go away and I dont try to hide it. I simply use it and then put it away. I no longer try to explain a knife to them or justify my carrying a knife. If they dont like it, tough, I never asked for their opinion in the first place.

I did get a kick out of seeing a guy at a mall with a small fixed blade on his belt...maybe a 2.5" blade at most. It was blindingly obvious he was in construction and his knife was used as a tool...even had old paint spots on the handle. Nobody paid it any mind, but standing in line at the food court some security guard approached and began hassling the guy. The security guy had a real attitude and began demanding the guy surrender his knife as "weapons" were not allowed. Mr security had his hand strategically placed on his radio :( Basically the construction guy said "look, im on my lunch and dont really have time for this, so P*SS OFF"...that of course got the security dude to call for "backup" so some other old lady with a radio showed up. They construction guy says "look, you think its illegal, then call the real police, otherwise beat it and go play wannabe-cop with somebody else" Enough people in line were giggling at the guards and they were finally humiliated enough to just walk off.

5. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Only when there is a legal reason to care. Airports, courthouses, limited jurisdictions and so forth.

Phil

6. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

I also work in an office and have found that a SwissTech UTILI-KEY is ideal for situations where people might freak out at the sight of a larger blade. It's funny that you can have a framing hammer and other large tools on a tool belt and no one will bat an eye, but some people will have a fit over a Stanley utility knife in a pouch on that same belt. :brickwall:

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

7. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

That's all well and good but you better be careful dealing with mall security guards. That radio could reach the dreaded !MALL NINJAS! They have armored golf carts with modified stinger missiles and MP5's under the seats. At least that's what the original mall ninja says! http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

8. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

:lolhammer: That link is hilarious. And scary - either lying or very scary or both.

9. sak_collector

sak_collector Empty Pockets

LOL...thats some of the funniest stuff I have ever read!!!

10. millhouse

millhouse Loaded Pockets

Its a sad state of affairs these days that people using knives for legitimate purposes are so frowned upon. I've given up carrying my Spyderco UKPK. People were just too negative. I have a Leatherman Charge in my workbag and most of my cutting needs can be achieved with the scissors. When I need a knife blade, I am now much more discrete using it.

Occassionally, the same people who used to criticise would ask if they could borrow my knife. Go figure that one out.

11. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

If that poster was over 15 I would be really really surprised, and fully embarrassed for him at the same time. :slap:

12. Claren

Claren Loaded Pockets

For me, the question I have in regards to the original "Mall Ninja" isn't if he is lying or not; he most certainly is.

The question is if he is honestly trying to make people believe him, or if the bit was just satire that was a bit too close to the real thing for the glocktalk.com forum (and the rest of us) to differentiate.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Poe%27s+Law

13. WolvieofTardis

WolvieofTardis Empty Pockets

I'm afraid to go to my local mall now! Because I know my local mall isn't large enough to support it being the one that is this guy's permanent duty station...

What if the Radio Shack guy has a PSP? I've wanted one for years and who knows what I may be convinced to do in order to get one?

14. adorable_harree

adorable_harree Empty Pockets

People at home know I love my knives and carry two or three at a time. Even at home much to the dismay and minor amusement of the wife.

Outside I treat my EDC knives the same as my EDC gun. Out of sight, out of mind...whenever someone needs something cut, out comes a SAK.

When it comes to gun and knife friends, you can't avoid show and tell sessions so some of them come out. Some, but not all. ;)

15. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Do I care? No. Was I discrete before my dear wife? No. Did I "whip it out". Also a no. I had a knife and needed to cut something so I did. Didn't matter to me how big or how small the knife I had on hand was. Now however, to eliminate the dreaded hissing of "will you put that thing away before you scare people" I am discrete and pull out my swisschamp. Small blade(s), "familiar" red scales screams tool before it whispers deadly weapon.

-Bill Liptak

16. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Yes, I do not want to get into a discussion in a "no weapons" workplace over what is a and is not a weapon. And I do not want my son labeled at day care. So I cut the french toast with a tiny knife in a cupped hand. And as others have said, use a SAK if it it will do the job. And I open them all with two hands. That little hole in the blade is to hang it on a hook.

17. glocker199

glocker199 Empty Pockets

Some of you guys spend waaaaaaay too much time worrying about what other people think. A knife is a tool or a weapon and your choice of either should not be affected by the raised eyebrows of the less informed.

18. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I don't care what other people think, I only care what they do. And if I scare an uninformed person with my knife, they can make trouble for me, both in the workplace and in a court of law.

Raised eyebrows concern me not a whit. However, the uninformed often carry polical weight with proper authorities, and when the uninformed perceive something as a threat, whether justified or not, they can fairly easily convince such authorities to take action against the percieved threat.

Although I will stand against unfair excercise of authority, I prefer to act with a certain amount of discretion to avoid causing others to perceive me - or my pocket knife - as a threat, because if they do, I can just as easily lose the semantic "tool vs weapon" argument as win.

Being right is not a bullet-proof vest - Ray Liota, Copland

19. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

Maybe this is a bit political for this thread, but I believe that bowing to the absurd idea of others that my knife is somehow 'wrong' will only allow them to sway public opinion more towards that idea. In the end people will be banning mini SAKs and nail files.... If you think this won't happen, remember the post 9/11 nail file ban on planes, or the current campaign against pointed kitchen knives in the UK.

Again, I will not rub their nose in it, but if someone reacts absurdly, I will treat the reaction as absurd.

20. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

This is true for so many things.