1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you care what others think of your EDC knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jzmtl, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

I do my best to be discreet if using a knife around NKP or in public is needed. That said, the only time I'd truly be concerned over what someone thinks of the knife is if they were a cop and they were asking me about it specifically. Anything other than that hasn't been worth sweating in my experience.

2. Woz

Woz Empty Pockets

Sure! Even if knife law is liberal here, a lot of people look scared when they see knives in public. So I try to carry "harmless" looking knifes in public. My Delica is pink, my BM 556 is bright yellow - they donĀ“t scare anybody, I hope. Ok, my sometimes carry a Stryker, a SOG Twitch XL or my giant Ryback, but then I try to use them discreet - and I alway have a tiny Fallkniven U2 for "friendly" backup.

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

No, I do not care what other people think about my EDC. I am sensible about using it as well.

4. surespyder

surespyder Empty Pockets

I carry a SAK, a neck knife and an Emerson Combat Karambit. The SAK get used in front of NKP, but surprisingly, it still gets gasps out here in Asia. lol

5. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

my EDC is a Vic huntsman (with yellow stayglow handles) and a swisstool
    the swisstool is in an open top pouch, on my belt, next to my phone pouch and Novatac Pouch
    i generally dont use it, but when i do need to use it i dont care who is around, its legal, as i have a job its needed for ("the one you just saw me use it for officer")
    the huntsman is always on my desk at work, or in my pocket if im out of the office (lunchbreak and at home) as i use it to cut tape for insulation and pressure testing stuff at work
    i no longer edc a large spyderco folder, or even a little one as the combination of swisstool and huntsman cover 99% of my everyday cutting needs

I may EDC my CRKT Razels for a few days when they arrive, but then they will be relegated to round the house duty (cutting boxes etc)

I am responisble in the use of all my knives, and if something needs cutting i will use a small, legal cutting tool to do it

6. bzorg

bzorg Loaded Pockets

As soon as I need it , I have my knife in my hand ;D

7. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I don't care what people think. If I need a blade, I pull out the most appropriate one I have on hand for the job. If NKP see me pull out a "big ol' scary" serrated Spyderco, then cut that piece of 1/2" rope that has them vexed, all the better. People need to get used to (again) the idea of a knife primarily being a tool. Let them see you use it that way!

8. WolvieofTardis

WolvieofTardis Empty Pockets

Gotta love a state where you can drop a knife at the vice prinicipal's feet and he just looks at it and goes on about his business like you'd dropped a piece of paper. :lolhammer:

On a more on topic area of discussion, no, I don't care what people think of my EDC knife, or any other of my few EDC items (I'm new to this.) The one and only time I ever had a comment made about any of my EDC gear I was at a convention with some people and I pulled out my Multi-tool while these people were putting up a series of displays for an event, because it makes a good fingernail maintenance device as well, and all these people started making comments as to why I'd bring something so stupid with me to a convention. Well, a few minutes later, one of them says to another that they need a pair of scissors, and would that person please go see if the people running the event had any. I immediately walked over, flipped open the multi-tool and opened the (admittedly) crude scissors the tool has, and handed it to the woman that needed the scissors.

It was at this point that I decided that I wasn't going to be too bothered with what people had to say about my gear or any negative comments. I figure it's enough for me to have the moral high ground when the haters need some seemingly meaningless tool and can't find it, and I've got it right there in my pocket just waiting.

Incidentally, I'm allowed to carry my regular EDC pocket knife at work because I used it to fix a broken cabinet in a room full of supervisors when nobody could find a screwdriver small enough to handle the job.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I put StayGlow scales on my Huntsman, as well. In fact, I happen to be carrying it today! I really consider it more of a woods knife for me, but I just got some of LZ's ferrocium rods and I find that the back of the saw on the Huntsman makes an excellent striker.

Back to topic...

I don't worry excessively about people seeing that I carry a knife, but I also don't try to flash it around in a way that shocks people or draws attention to myself. Where I live, it's not uncommon to see people using or carrying knives. I frequently use my knife at work, but to cut things (paper, packages, fruit) and not to do other tasks that could be better (and, in some case, more hygeinically) done with another tool (clean nails, pick teeth, undo screws, etc.).

10. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

The knife is a tool... I take no pains to hide it, nor do I show it off.

11. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I have EDC'd a pocketknife for more than 45 years and work with knives everyday.

I once had a friend freak out because I had used "a weapon" to cut something open (the knife was an SAK Classic!), and my Mini Grip was once referred to as "a huge weapon."

As I was using a steel on one of my work knives I once had someone complain that I was "flashing weapons around."

Yes, people can be morons sometimes.

I try to explain what I am doing with my knives whenever I see "The Look." Sometimes it helps but more importantly if I look and act like it is a normal part of what I do, I find there are fewer problems. Knives are tools. I use them as such and treat them as such.

12. turbo chicken

turbo chicken Empty Pockets

i'm descreet as possible when at work... even to the point i'm searching for a little slippie to start carrying. I have to think twice about everything i do in the office though :censored: are so sensitive.

When outside the office i don't think about it.

13. WolvieofTardis

One of my previous, and far less understanding supervisors, threatened to fire me for openly carrying a hunting knife to work. The reality was that it was a keychain knife that MIGHT have pushed three inches overall length open.

14. IronSteve

IronSteve Empty Pockets

Depending on where I am, I sometimes turn my back or choke up high on the blade to hide it.

15. onlyonespyderco

onlyonespyderco Loaded Pockets

I'll whip out my SAK whenever, but I give a slight thought before pulling out my little Wharcom, slightly more thought to my Meadowlark, and I rarely would even carry a larger knife like my Endura or fullsize Grip. I'd probably act differently if I felt I needed one of the bigger knives, but I haven't yet met a task the Wharcom wasn't up to in my suburban environment. ;D

16. Jaygnar99

Jaygnar99 Empty Pockets

I try to vary the knife I carry so that it is appropriate to the surroundings that I find myself in. Usually I carry a little CRKT folder and I don't deploy it in a threatening manner. But I don't try to hide it either. Unless you know me personally , you'd probably never guess that I had a knife on me. Not to be shallow or anything but I think that the way you look and the choice of knife go a long way toward determining peoples opinion of your choice to carry a knife. I'm generally dressed well but casual and carry what is considered a normal pocket knife. If I carried my full size Endura clipped to my belt on an office visit, I'd not be surprised by a few funny looks. :D

17. toddtheknifegeek

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

I carry a delica wave a lot. If I am in an area where I think a might be hassled by a locations security, I will unclip and drop it into my pocket or clip to my belt under my shirt. If a have to deploy it I do so without the wave unless I have to. Otherwise..... I don't worry much about public opinion.

18. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

That is a complicated question. I carry my Benchmade TSEK every single day. I carry it clipped inside RFP. I carry it when I go to work at work or out to work at customer sites, to family functions, to parties, to bars. Everywhere that I am legally able to do so. When I need to cut something, I take my knife out and cut things with it. Mostly it seems that people just do not notice it carried there.

In some ways I do care what others think. For example, I usually carry a smaller knife that I will use for many smaller cutting tasks. Also, if I go somewhere where I might get hassled about my knife like a large public setting (fair, play, etc) then I will often drop it into my pocket or tuck it IWB under my shirt.

I have been questioned about my knife a few times by people I know, but mostly just in a good way (sweet, let me look at your knife). I have never been questioned by LEO or hassled at all.

Overall, I would say that I do care, but only to a limited extent and I minimize the impact that other's opinions have on my EDC choices.

19. IronSteve

IronSteve Empty Pockets

Yea I do something similar. For example when I walked into the Denstist's office today I dropped my Endura 4 into my pocket since to hide it knowing it be on a dentist's chair and that my t shirt maybe shift and I'd expose the knife. Theres just a time and place for everything.

20. WolvieofTardis

I think you're right. Not only that, but the manner in which you choose to deploy the knife. People (especially those predetermined to negative thinking about the use of knives) will be surprised, but not necessarily feel threatened, by someone calmly reaching into their pocket to take out the knife for the purpose at hand, but those same people might feel threatened, or at least be put mentally "on their guard" by a person who quickly pulls out their knife and flips it open with quick, jerking, show-off movements.

I come from a heritage where knives are just another tool to get the job done, and guns are passed down from grandfather, to father, to son, and so on, so its been a part of my life since I was a child that you always had a knife, because you never knew when you'd have to cut something, or have a small tool that could work for so many other emergency situations. It's really foreign to me that someone would have a negative opinion of me carrying a useful tool like that.