1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you care what others think of your EDC knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jzmtl, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

So are you the type who will take care to not show your knife to people around you, or do you jump at every chance to whip it out?

I'm the former. I pick which knife to edc (leek/spyderco centofante atm) depends on my clothing color so the clip isn't too obvious, and if people are around, I'll take out my SAK instead of locking folder since it's more acceptable for most people.

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I am usually alone these days when I use a knife and if I'm not, I don't expect people who see my knife to know a Spyderco from a Puma from a Case.

Before I retired, I used to discuss knives with other knife fans at work and we would have informal "show and tell" sessions.

3. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Are you asking if we try to hide our EDC knife from regular non-knife carrying people? If that is your question, I would say yes. The knife I carry is rather small (Benchmade Mini-Grip: under 3 inch blade), but it still causes non-knife people a lot of discomfort if they see it. Knives are always viewed as weapons first and tools second by the average onlooker.

None of this is helped by a recent incident in Canada. On a Greyhound bus, a passenger pulled out a knife and repeated stabbed and decapitated a fellow passenger, without even speaking or provoking. It's a chilling news story and doesn't help the EDC knife cause at all, even though the knife used was apparently a kitchen knife.

4. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I don't whip my knife out at every opportunity and wave it around, but I don't usually hide it, either.

The people who know me - family, friends, co-workers - know that I carry a knife, and don't bat an eye when I use it. With folks who don't know me, I am a little less quick to pull the knife, but when I need it I'll use it.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

There is a time AND place for everything. "Discretion is the better part of valor."

Show and tell for the aficionados can occur anytime, however when in the presense of those that may not ultimately agree with the carry of a blade, I refrain from giving even the teeniest glimpse of a sharp edge. Why cause the controversy; particularly when in the company of those that I know and respect. Not that I would do so anyway when amongst others not in my social circle.

Unlike that individual in Ohio whom had openly carried a handgun, albeit ultimately LEGAL to have done so, it would BE uncharacteristic for me to openly display a knife for conversational purposes or any other reason.

So, while I DO care what others think about my EDC knife, their opinion shall not become the reason that I carry WHAT I carry.

6. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

My knife doesn't come out unless I need to use it, except for the first week or so after I get it. If you know me and I've just picked up a new knife, you're going to see it even if you don't really care. (My friends humor me and pretend to be interested for a minute.)

7. eldahjack

eldahjack Empty Pockets

i would agree that discresion is to be used. i used to carry several knives for different reasons. those reasons were different classes of people. my folder was used to tear apart boxes at work and it worked very well. often i would be the only one around in a back-room and thus had no need for being discrete. i also had a schrade stockman that i used to open boxes, or cut string or whatever. this was used in front of people, customers specifically. i would also try and use scissors for the latter job, if possible. i also had a leatherman wave in my bag. the multitool functions made it invaluable to my work and as a bike multitool (i carry a lot of bits with me in a small altoids-type tin).

now i carry a medium sized SAK on my keychain. its hard to tell with some folks as to whether or not they are NKP. i also have a nicer looking folder at the bottom of my pocket

8. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I don't go to great lengths to hide it, but I will usually carry a smaller knife and use that. I am a uniformed LEO and I find when I pull out a 4 inch blade everyone's eyes are on me. I love my new wharcom, very discreet.

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

What I carry shouldn't be anyone's concern. So, it isn't my concern as to what people think of what I carry. I carry what I want, when I want, because I want to. :)

I have, however made a small concession to the NKP's and I no longer carry a 4" fixed or folder unless I have specific knife chores in mind. It also fits better with my goal of minimalism because one knife can handle what two can, usually. I can tackle most anything with a Small Sebenza or Delica, and like others have said, discretion is the key.

10. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

I carry a Cold Steel Tilite. 4" blade.I really like this knife, but it does have the weapon look. I usually carry a small folder or use the blade in my Sideclip in high visibility situations.It is a lot easier to be discreet than getting 20 questions from a local LEO.

11. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

I would have to say I do. The reason is because I know some folks would be real uncomfortable about. Plus I like the fact if they don't know that I'm carrying it might help them if I do something to get us pinched by the law. Usually their eyes bug out when I do take it out when it is needed.

I am currently EDC'ing the Boker Wagner Reality Blade which looks really aggressive and I think I'm just just going to keep that to myself.

12. WoodenChicken

WoodenChicken Loaded Pockets

There seems to be a lot more NKP around than there used to be. I used to be more open and even jolly about pulling out a cool knife; used to relish the opportunity to "show and tell". But I after a few lukewarm reactions, my knives remain discreetly located for my own eyes only. We seem to live in a PC world where your neighbor, co-workers or strangers are ready to blow the whistle for any reason at all.
    I, for one, wish for a simpler time and a simpler place. Sadly, such times will never return for this country (USA). When I was a kid, I worked summers on a guest ranch in Colorado, and always carried a folder in my pocket and a nice hefty fixed blade on my side (except when horseback because the leather sheaths in those days did not properly protect the knife blade. Never saw it, but rumor had it that if you got thrown from your horse and landed the wrong way, the fixed blade could pierce through the sheath into your leg or hip). All of this was in a somewhat relatively remote place near Rocky Mt. Nat'l Park, and a remote time ago.
    Look at me now, 25 years later in NJ, self-conscious about pulling a 3 inch blade out to do a simple chore :( What is this world coming to? Ultimately, I'm really not the kind of person who cares what people think--I may be in NJ, but last time I checked this was still America :censored: it. Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness and all of that. God-given unalienable rights, and......2nd amendment holding on by a thread. But yes, "discretion is the better part of valor", so I will comply, keep smiling and go to simple lengths to appear like a very undangerous (is that a word?) person. I've been doing that for years, part of my MA training ;D. Many years of hearing from my teacher, and teaching it to my students: "Keep smiling, keep nice and humble" Only turn the tiger on when (and God forbid) the time calls for it.

13. Claren

Claren Loaded Pockets

Yes, and no.

For the longest time, whenever I would pull out my knife to do a chore and someone asked "Why do you have/why are you using a knife ?" I would always ask, "Oh, I'm sorry. What should I use to open this, then ?" They would almost invariably reply "Scissors." At which point, I would always ask "Alright; Can I borrow your scissors ?" ( The reply was usually an " Uhhh.....").

Well, now that I work in the ER, I've put my money where my mouth is; I have a pair of Smith and Wesson (yeah, that S&W) trauma shears on me at all times, and they are much better for the majority of my chores than my knife is (the blade still wins for food prep/eating ;D). Zips through clampacks like nothing, and yes, you really can cut a penny in half with them.

But, going back to the question asked, yes, I do try to be mindful of what I carry and use. I alternately EDC 3 different Spydies; a Police, a Military, and a Delica 4.

The Spyderedged police just looks too wicked to take to work, and it's too heavy to clip to my scrubs. Its slim profile and slick, stainless steel handles make it likely to fall out of my pocket, and the shiny clip screams "KNIFE!" when clipped to darker pants. The hollow-grind Spyderedge will just eat up anything you take it too, though, and the VG-10 is a breeze to keep sharp, so when image isn't a concern, I like to carry this one.

The Military is nice and simple, and looks like what most people think a tool should look like (not like a flashy weapon). The only problem is that it's really big. Really big. I've had co-workers openly gasp when I've pulled it (in their defense, probably shouldn't have spyder-dropped it open :( ) Plain-edge is definitely the way to go when NKP are going to be exposed to your knife.

The Delica 4 is getting carried more and more for everything, mostly because I'm realizing that for just about everything I use a knife for, the blade is more than large enough for me. Then again, I'm aware that not everyone else EDCs a pair of trauma shears, so YMMV.

14. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

When I need it, out it comes. It doesn't matter who's around as nobody says anything to me. Perhaps it's the culture where I'm from as most carry a knife of some sort. The state motto is "wild and wonderful" after all.

15. Uncle Zungle

Uncle Zungle Loaded Pockets

I didn't care at all before. Over the last 4 years I've been in an office job and I do carry a knife but I don't show it at all at work. Outside work I still don't care what people think.

16. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I have stopped worrying about comments from the :censored:. It's a loose loose situation. It is unlikely that I will convince them of the importance of a knife and its usefulness as tool. I have had people freak out over small SAKs, a small Douk Douk, and a Spyderco Ladybug. I even had one moron call my Leatherman Squirt a switchblade :(. I carry what's in the legal limit and leave it a that. Luckily we have the Subcom series to accompany us in the more restrictive areas.

17. dtrain

dtrain Empty Pockets

I keep mine out of sight for the most part until its needed.
    I will twirl an SAK in my fingers now and again if I need to occupy myself and cant have a cigarette.
    Dtrain

18. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

19. Bradlee

Bradlee Empty Pockets

I like my blade clipped to my pocket, and frankly don't care who sees it there. That said, I'm much more wary about pulling it out and using it since the partially serated tanto blade does look 'aggressive'. Ironically, I get more people asking if the DMM biner clipped to my other pocket is a knife.. :laugh:

20. deerhunter

deerhunter Loaded Pockets

good god!! if you whipped that out in front of me,i'd think it was a switchblade.and i know the differnce.there is a good chance i would have a BM 9100 elishwitz auto(automatic,i guess thats the p.c. term now.but if your a jet,your a jet all the way,to your last dying day)i have had that on me 10-15% of the time since i got it 9 years ago.i don't snap it open in front of anyone unless i know they would appreciate it ,saying that i ,like a number of people have said i carry a more accepitable carry.any exuse to have 2-3 knives on me :laugh: