1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you always carry with a round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by MerdachPKP, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

Well, I read this whole thread, and LOL'ed at a few posts from one member in particular that I don't think were meant to be funny. That only made them even more funny. Jeesh...

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, I carry locked and loaded 100% of the time with zero fear that I might Plaxico Burress myself.

Gnarly likes this.
  2. tire iron

tire iron Empty Pockets

Over the years while instructing the martial use of firearms I have been asked this question countless times.

Here is the answer I always give:

"If you can 1,000% GUARANTEE that you will ALWAYS - 1,000% of the time - have BOTH hands completely available without injury - then it really doesn't matter if you carry chamber full or empty. However - if you can NOT guarantee that you will always have both hands completely available without injury - then it makes no sense to carry chamber empty."

As a frame of reference I have been trained in the Israeli method of carry/deployment of handguns (chamber empty). With a little practice you can be nearly as fast with it as with chamber full. However the day AFTER I learned the Israeli method - I damaged my left thumb and needed stitches. They put an aluminum splint on my thumb and bandages, etc. The Israeli method DOESN'T WORK one handed.

Yeah - I know there are ways to charge a handgun one handed - but do you REALLY want to go through all this in a life and death encounter?

I do not subscribe to the Israeli method simply because it presupposes that you will ALWAYS have both hands available.

Carry with one in the chamber.

cheers

tire iron

Bama Joe likes this.
  3. GADGET982

GADGET982 Loaded Pockets

I always have one in the chamber. I think most can agree when I say that the loudest noise you will ever hear is "click...".

SAKplumber likes this.
  4. 70dart

70dart Loaded Pockets

Always one in the chamber. The odds are already against you in drawing your weapon when things go south, why complicate things?

Robert:)

5. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

I always enjoy threads like this because they're so full of dogma. I like to suggest that if you can't handle a gun carried with an empty chamber then maybe you need more training. However, I never get anywhere with that idea. But I have my own ideas. You can all have your own way of doing things provided I can have the same privilege.

My answer? It depends, or rather, used to, when I had different handguns. It is entirely a question of how difficult they are to operate one way or the other. A Colt Government Model or Commander? Wonderful gun and I've had several. Ah, but that safety! When it came to to the safety on those guns, I was all fingers. You see, one's fine motor control may give problems if you get in too much of a hurry and anyway, it seemed to require distinct movements in a certain order to get off a quick shot. But on the other hand, they were the easiest things to work the slide on, a distinction shared with that upstart Glock. I also know how you can't retract the slide with one hand, so I always make sure to bring my other one along, just in case. Say, how do you guys insure that it is your off hand that will be out of action?

These days I have only two handguns, both DA/SA and with slides that are (relatively) difficult to retract. But they have no safety levers or catches to fiddle and fumble with. Oh, and by the way, one has a hammer, the other doesn't, yet they both operate exactly the same way. Even the magazine release is in the same place. So don't make arguments about striker fired versus hammer fired.

6. deerbnb

deerbnb Loaded Pockets

absolutely, otherwise why carry

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Exactly...well, I guess you could carry a brick.

8. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

You didn't mean a block, did you?

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

As opposed to a Glock, I suppose;)

10. jwinkeler

jwinkeler Loaded Pockets

Always

Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. jwinkeler

jwinkeler Loaded Pockets

purely out of curiosity what pistols are those
    Joe

Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

12. BlueTrain

BlueTrain Loaded Pockets

One is a Walther P99 and the other a CZ 75 P01 and you know what? The magazine releases are in fact different. Close but no cigar. The decockers work differently, too, but I don't think there's any contests where you have to decock a pistol in a hurry. Ever since I got the CZ, the Walther has just sat there unmolested. But last Saturday I was dusting off the guns and was refamiliarizing myself with it, sort of. And I almost couldn't believe I had to look for the magazine release. I hate to admit that but I don't think it would make any difference anywhere but I can't say they are fumble-proof.

But the triggers still work the same. The slide releases work the same, though there's an ongoing thread on another forum about how to release the slide. The triggers may feel a little different but you can only tell the difference if you are using both at the same time, which I don't do. And if you tend to favor one gun over the other, pretty soon you forget everything about the other--which I found out.

On the other hand, it's easy to overstate the potential problems with guns with differences, yet I'm sure there are a few who carry a small revolver as a backup to an automatic.

13. FromTheAshes777

FromTheAshes777 Empty Pockets

I carry a Glock 27 or a Ruger LCP, and ALWAYS with a round in the chamber. Of course they are also ALWAYS in a proper holster. If your weapon is in a quality holster made for your pistol then condition one is perfectly safe.

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

If you're carrying a revolver would you leave one chamber empty?... No.

15. overthemountain

overthemountain Empty Pockets

Always a round in the chamber.

16. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

If I can just find the right "Y" adapter, I'll keep two in the chamber.

SAKplumber likes this.
  17. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

My sensibilities will not even allow for the possibility of appendix carry. My brain refuses to aim a gun at my genitalia, under any circumstances.

Bama Joe likes this.
  18. Pyros9

Pyros9 Empty Pockets

If you're not, you're doin it wrong....:p

Bama Joe and SAKplumber like this.
  19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

20. scottryla

scottryla Loaded Pockets

I'd carry 2 in the chamber if I could.

Bama Joe and SAKplumber like this.