1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you always carry with a round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by MerdachPKP, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonReagan

RonReagan Loaded Pockets

I guess people that are victims of random violence weren't using their brains when doing day to day things like shopping and a guy comes in stabbing people (Utah). Always be aware, but once again there are things that are out of your hands. No one could have used their brains to avoid the Tacoma Mall shooting near me as no one can predict situations like that. How can you make decision on something you aren't aware about? I do agree that your firearm in the last resort though. Just FYT (follow your training) and use the least amount of force necessary to manage a situation.

Anyways, I run how I train and always keep one in.

Kilted1 likes this.
  2. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

The only reason I can think of to carry with an empty chamber is with an older gun that lacks a firing pin block or where the firing pin is part of the hammer. Modern guns = non-issue.

Whatever you do, you should do it consistently and train so when the need should arise, you won't have to think about whether your gun is loaded or not.

3. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Where? Who made that assumption? I see no evidence in this thread of that, but in the context of why one would need (or not need) to keep a round chambered in their carry gun (which is almost exclusively a purpose built defensive firearm), it's almost inherent in the question that one is contemplating a potential life or death defensive situation, and therefore, a stressful situation. Outside of this context, say the shooting range, there would be no concern with chambered, or unchambered. Again, it's all about "context", not blanket statements like the quote above.

Again, this second quote is stating the obvious. Who in this thread has stated, that a reliance on a firearm should be a first response to anything other than necessity? The question posed in this thread comes in to play after all earlier attempts at avoidance have failed, and then the issue of chambered or unchambered becomes important. I'm not all seeing and all knowing (maybe obDm is), so I'm not able to predict and respond to any/or all of the contingencies of life beforehand. Evidently the thousands killed in the trade towers, or the thousands killed by random acts of senseless violence weren't all seeing and all knowing either. Things can happen anywhere, anytime, regardless of your level of awareness. I for one can admit that I don't know everything, and I can't speak for anyone other than myself. What's right for me, might not be right for someone else, but in the context of a life and death self-defense situation my original comments are valid for consideration by anyone claiming to use their "brain".

Last edited by dmattaponi, May 15, 2012
    RonReagan likes this.
  4. Tinker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tinker Loaded Pockets

100% of the time

Sent from my Casio Commando

5. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

yes, always any handgun I carry

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"How can you make decision on something you aren't aware about?"
    You need make yourself be aware. You have a choice.

7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

If you're going to make the decision to carry a gun to defend your life and the life of your family, it behooves you to carry it ready to use. When I carry there is always a round in the chamber.

Ktowngunner likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"...it behooves you to carry it ready to use. When I carry there is always a round in the chamber"
    But does carrying a round in the chamber necessarily make it ready for use? Do your first need to adjust your mindset to make sure that you are ready to use it?

9. pacman

pacman Loaded Pockets

I would carry two rounds in the chamber if it were possible.

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Again, this has nothing to do with the topic, and you haven't really addressed any of the relevant points.

11. beast

beast EDC Junkie

Me too, that would be awesome :)

12. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

Metal Storm any one?
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOqW5bG2M3x4&v=OqW5bG2M3x4&gl=US

As to all the talk of mentally prepared and keeping your self out of stressful situations, good luck with that. If I need a handgun I'm going to use it because otherwise I will be dead or even worse a loved one will be dead or seriously hurt. At that point I need no more steps than necessary. So I carry round chambered and exercise trigger control and safe gun handling at all times. If I point a gun that I have not personally checked nd verified to be clear at something with my finger in the trigger guard I intend to put a hole in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

13. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

If you have to draw a CC firearm, it is by definition a high stress situation. Unless the idea of "kill or be killed" isn't stressful to you at all. In which case you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun, much less carry one.

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

It is now :)

15. pacman

pacman Loaded Pockets

Holy Mother of Cheese...lol

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

"Again, this has nothing to do with the topic, and you haven't really addressed any of the relevant points."
    An astute observation! None too soon. By examining the opening question of this thread, I have furtively addressed several points by evoking responses.

"If you have to draw a CC firearm, it is by definition a high stress situation. Unless the idea of "kill or be killed" isn't stressful to you at all. In which case you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun, much less carry one."
    I have been carrying a firearm for an aggregate of very close to forty years. Twenty of those with a concealed permit. The previous ten years was for personal protection but without the permit because it was not required at the time where I lived. The previous ten years was during my youth when few if any even raised an eyebrow towards others that openly carried in the fairly rural area in which I grew up. It was a different era.

It has been almost fifteen years since I actually drew my firearm from my holster for an event that, because of my planning and keen observation, never amounted to a "high-stress" situation. It certainly didn't become "kill or be killed." Everything that I had done up to that point clearly indicated that I didn't need my firearm. I over-reacted, so I merely re-holstered.

It has been that way ever since; having done everything to avoid the use of a firearm.

Unlike many that have responded to this thread, I have clearly demonstrated to myself and my family that the daily carry of a firearm just may be optional during most occasions for me. So just like many here that practice "thinning the herd" regarding their EDC of anything, I am questioning my need to "carry" daily.

Many of you have underscored the ability to legally "carry." CCW permit holders champion the practice; however, none of you that responded have clearly articulated the need to carry a loaded handgun that is supported with an actual event that couldn't be resolved with proper planning to avoid it.

It is evident to me that after I have done all the training and daily practice with my firearm, what I continue to clearly do more frequently is to avoid everything that would require me to use my handgun.

No, I'm not ready to give up carrying my 1911; however, based on empirical data from nearly four decades of carrying a firearm, I have begun to examine the efficacy of this practice because I can.

I carry a knife and a flashlight because I use them daily and do very little if any to avoid using them. Aside from training and practice, I have never used any of my firearms except during this unique event.

17. RonReagan

RonReagan Loaded Pockets

You can't specify one unique event (which was taken out probably for legal reasons) to set a precedent for all situations under the sun/moon. Could you explain what would you have done different from the victims of the Forza coffee shop shooting here in Washington State. Cops died that day because Maurice walked in blazing. If you were Tim McLean what would you have done to prevent yourself from randomly getting stabbed and beheaded? What would you have done if you were in the Tacoma Mall shooting? A pistol wouldn't have helped (though it is an example), but how could people have used their brains to avoid being victims of terrorist attacks (9/11)? No action or discussion would have prevented these. You can't blame people for wanting to go shopping, have lunch in a coffee shop, work in the office, or ride a bus for not expecting sudden acts of violence. We all should expect it, but we can't give a time and a place which is why it is so random. These are different scenarios that actually happened without warning or any chance of resolution, not just one specific event. That is all of what I was trying to get across. I'm glad it has worked for you though. Luckily, I haven't had to draw yet and I have changed my behavior greatly to try and avoid it.

18. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Loaded Pockets

Yes.

SAKplumber likes this.
  19. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

You can arm chair every situation and make assumptions about how to handle it and generalize your experiences and say everyone else's experiences will match yours but that doesn't mean that the assumptions or your experiences are correct for everyone. To me a handgun is the last resort and I think everyone agrees on that. No one is talking about drawing down on every punk/suspicious person that they come across. I plan on having one if I ever need one, but I hope that I never do. But just because I've never needed one yet doesn't mean I won't at some point in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

ChrisJ likes this.
  20. B_H_

B_H_ Loaded Pockets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.