1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you always carry with a round in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by MerdachPKP, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerdachPKP

MerdachPKP Empty Pockets

Depending on the situation, I mainly carry with a round in the chamber and then other times I carry without one in the chamber.

I primarily own guns without external safeties. Glock 23, Glock 27, and Ruger LCP.

When I carry in a IWB holster, like my Crossbread, I always keep a round chambered. My Crossbread has a great trigger guard. Plus it's on my hip and if the gun is discharged while drawing during a physical attack or something, there's a smaller chance of me shooting myself.

When I have to go with a deep concealment option, like SmartCarry, I don't keep one chambered. In this situation, the gun is pointed right at my man parts or pointed right at my thigh. If the gun goes off in the invent that I'm being attacked, I'm definitely going to shoot myself

I'm thinking I should just pick one philosophy and stick to it. Either keep a round chambered at all times or never keep a round chambered. I'm worried that if I'm ever in a situation where I need to draw my firearm that I wont remember if I have a round in the chamber or not.

What are your thoughts about going back and forth with having a round chambered?

2. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Loaded Pockets

I carry a 1911.

Condition 1 is my only option.

SAKplumber likes this.
  3. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

If you treat all guns as though they are loaded why not have them loaded?

The only guns I don't keep chambered are shotguns and my AR15. I keep the AR with the bolt open and I have a Magpul BAD lever.

I don't understand carrying without a round in the chamber. Why do you want to add a step? If you don't feel safe carrying with a round in the chamber don't carry that way or buy guns with safeties.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

4. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

5. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

6. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

I always have a round chambered. I agree with your thinking that you'd be better off picking one way and sticking with it...either always have a round chambered, or never do.

Tim

7. AirMech74

AirMech74 Loaded Pockets

Its kind of pointless not to....I always carry locked and loaded.

8. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

OP, Have you looked at the Raven VanGuard? It's a minimalist holster which is in its 2nd generation. Originally it was a molded Kydex trigger cover with a loop of 550 cord. The new ones are a different molded plastic with a belt loop. I'd say to take the belt loop off and make it like the original by adding some cord. Tie the cord to the SmartCarry and keep one chambered. It won't add much to your deep carry rig and it will keep the trigger covered while near your junk. When drawing, the cord will pull the holster off of the gun. They make it for Glock and LCP.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/other-holsters/vanguard-holster/other-holsters-vanguard-holster

chico13 likes this.
  9. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

Always as well.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

10. floater

floater Loaded Pockets

if you're not sure try a revolver to get used to having one chambered

I actually don't chamber most the time but I live pretty far from a life of danger

11. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

12. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Would you rather the risk of shooting your nuts or the risk of dying? There is no way you would be able to grab your piece and chamber a round in time - most attacks happen quick and without warning.

Carrying chambered sometimes and not other times will also lead to a much greater chance of a negligent discharge as its much easier to forget if the gun is loaded or not.

I do not think you need to worry about the LCP firing in your Smart Carry in a struggle - the pull is just too long. On the other hand, buy the Raven trigger guard (great recommendation!) for your 23 and 27 and carry chambered in Smartcarry.

Kilted1 likes this.
  13. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

Vienna is correct. The LCP will not fire unless you pull the trigger. I carry mine daily inside the waistband w/ clip (no holster... only gun I would do that with). I have sat on it, dropped it, landed on it, etc. It isn't going off without a very conscious trigger squeeze. My other guns are bigger and have better triggers and get real holsters. :p

Also, you are correct. You should pick a method and stick with it. I honestly think that method should be fully loaded and one in the chamber. You hopefully will never need your gun, but if you do, having one chambered may save your life. If you don't feel comfortable with a carry method then you should research, change up, or practice until you are. On another note, kudos for rocking no safeties. They do more harm then good unless your at the range with your kids. (I know you 1911 guys totally disagree but that's your prerogative.)

14. beast

beast EDC Junkie

Loaded LCP always. It's built to be carried that way. Hence the 6 + 1 capacity that is advertised by Ruger.

[​IMG]

15. Bacchus258

Bacchus258 Empty Pockets

I always have a round chambered. My opinion is that if you do sometimes and not others you will not remember at that critical moment you need to fire.

16. MerdachPKP

MerdachPKP Empty Pockets

Thanks for the responses.

D50Boy, thanks for the suggestion on the vangaurd.

I agree with everyone that commented on how important it is to carry with a round chambered. I like my smartcarry for times when it's absolutely needed. And I think the vangaurd combo will solve my dilemma.

17. yukon2004

yukon2004 Loaded Pockets

I always carrying with a round in the chamber. The last thing I want to have to worry about when drawing my weapon is to remember to rack the slide. When I draw it, I want to be able to pull the trigger. The time delay of having to rack the slide, IMO, could very well cost you you're life.

18. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

It took me a couple weeks to get comfortable but then I started carrying with a round in the chamber. When you think about it, having or not having a round chambered could mean life or death in the right situation.

19. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Danger has a way of finding us wherever we live.

20. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

Springfield XD subompact .40 in either a DeSantis Nemesis or a Blackhawk Serpa OWB. Always in condition 1. Just keep your finger off the :censored: trigger and all will be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.