1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do you advertise...?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ReadyFreddy23, Sep 18, 2014.

1. ReadyFreddy23

ReadyFreddy23 Loaded Pockets

I can't tell you how many people I see that "Advertise" that they are carrying a gun, are gun people, have a gun in their car, or keep guns in their house.

You know the signs...

NRA stickers
    NRA hats
    Glock hats
    7.62 or 5.56 stickers on their cars/trucks
    Magpul
    5.11/Blackhawk pants
    Tacticool looking gear
    Bumper stickers with funny sayings "My other auto is a .45"
    Keep honking I'm reloading

Do you "Advertise"?

Shike, Cobra 6 Actual, tdb and 2 others like this.
  2. heck333
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

heck333 Loaded Pockets

I do not. I live in an apartment complex, and have some shady neighbors. No reason to give someone an idea to try a break-in. It's bad enough when I load up the car for a trip to the range...

Greg

3. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I wouldn't say I advertise, I just don't care what others see.

4. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

yes to a certain extent... I'm an old fart, and since retirement don't have to be PC... as for invitation to a crime we'll see... I have enjoyed participation in the shooting sports for over 30 years, and decided to recognize those manufacturers that are major match sponsors.... have a LaRue Tactical "God bless our troops, especially our snipers" and Trijicon decal along with an American Flag on the back of my car.... I'm a life NRA and USPSA member, but don't display those

5. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

By your definition I do, but say I do not.

I avoid the obvious like NRA, Range and slogan stickers on my car\home. I wouldn't have a warning sign in my window or door about being armed.

However, I do wear 5.11 gear on weekends (T-shirts and a ball cap). I do not believe this is really advertising because most people do not have a clue of what it is. Same with my Magpul phone case. If an individual does recognize these items, then chances are very high they are not someone I have to worry about.

6. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

No, I do not.

Cobra 6 Actual and ManVsLawn like this.
  7. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I used to have a Lifetime NRA decal on my Jeep. I would park it, with the top down and doors off, in some fairly sketchy neighborhoods. No one ever touched it.

I'm thinking about a "lawful carry encouraged" sign for my business.

It isn't advertising. It's a warning.

Edit: The owner of a local business was recently shot to death by a robber in broad daylight. The businessman was unarmed, no firearms on the premises. Not going to happen here.

Last edited by Mudinyeri, Sep 18, 2014
  8. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I do not advertise. I don't even post my gun pics here on this site where I generally feel that folks are of a similar mindset. I had an experience once where someone took what was said by a mutual friend in a conversation (this person mentioned we both had Glocks) and he (the offended party), tried to tell a police officer I was brandishing my Glock around at a party. Thankfully when they searched me they didn't find the expected Black Glock, instead they found something Shiny and very different. Needless to say I was given my pistol back and apologized to. After that day though, I learned the lesson to never let anyone know what you are carrying. ;)

As to clothing or packs? I agree with GQP as I don't consider that advertising at all. I have been wearing fatigue pants and carrying military rucksacks, etc.. since I was a kid. It's still common in our culture today and doesn't necessarily point to someone carrying, being a gun owner, etc.. Just my 2 cents.

9. turbochargedwarlord

turbochargedwarlord Loaded Pockets

I too have noticed that when I wear my 5.11 shirts or LAPG Operator pants (my favorite pant), that 99% of the people don't know or care for that matter what they are. Also the ones who do notice are the ones that ask me do I like them or where to buy them.

As for signs and stickers and such, I personally don't have any stickers on my car. I do plan on putting a sign at the end of my drive way that says "Nothing on this property is worth your life", But I live out in the boonies. To me when you see a sign like that below a no trespassing and hunting sigh, it kinda makes it sink in a little deeper.

A4VC, Cobra 6 Actual and Lou_G like this.
  10. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

I wear 5.11 Stryke pants (black) to work every day, and have a Tactical Tailor cap and two "<3 guns & coffee" tshirts. I live in Oregon. Cargo pants and shorts are everywhere up here.

I won't "mark" my car or home, however.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

11. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

No.

I feel most/any markings on car or house are just that - advertisements.

I also feel like those stick figure type families are just inviting serial killers into their perfect 2.5 kid house w/ a backyard in suburbia.

Again, the more bumper stickers someone has on their car, the worse of a driver they usually are.... I think they call that a "direct inverse relationship," but it has been way too long for all that fancy math jazz.

12. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

Nothing on my cars at all. Well, except during Girl Scout cookie season and then we write something about GS and cookies on the van in that colorful soap and then park it near the entrance to which ever store the troop is selling in front of at the time.

The closest I come to wearing something or carrying (visibly) something that would be considered "Advertising" my pro gun ways is the "Don't Tread On Me" patch on my EDC bag. The bag is a 5.11 MOAB 10 in tan and it has the 2"x1" DOTM patch along with a large American flag patch, a blue 2"x1" SC state flag patch, a GITD ranger eye, and a 2"x1" POW/MIA patch. I've seen many hats, shirts, patches that I like but am not really one for broadcasting that message. I'm not big on branded clothes in general. My normal attire consists of plain cargo shorts/cargo pants/carpenter pants paired with a single color tshirt or golf shirt.

The house has a security system sign in the flower bed out front and that's about it.

13. tdb

tdb Loaded Pockets

Overtly nope, not advertising, just an ADT sign in the yard and thats about it. Nothing on the car, nothing on windows. I love patches and stickers, but only stick them on gear drawers or footlockers. Patches for the most part stay pinned on a corkboard. I have a few on the visor of my vehicle (only visible if you're at one of the front doors) and a few under the flap of my vertx bag.

Around here there's enough other people wearing multicam hats, in uniform, or carrying "tactical" bags, that little old me wearing an "operator hat", jeans, a plaid button-down, and dragging 2 rugrats around doesn't draw much attention.

I've started pointing out gun stickers on vehicles to my wife and telling her "if it ever hits the fan and you/we don't have access to our normal gear, look for a vehicle with those kinds of stickers and we have a good chance of finding something useful inside; guns, gear, etc."

groovster and scbubba like this.
  14. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

Personally I think you are over thinking it. Most people do not pay attention to what anyone is wearing around them unless it is way out of the norm (Bikini in a church). Same for your car. Now a determined thief might make basic judgement calls based on clues he sees, but you aren't going to stop a determined thief by a sticker one way or the other. If your car is in the wrong place at the wrong time that is the issue, not the stickers on it.

But really think about the last logo'ed shirt you saw, what was the logo? Can you even remember?

CSM-101, Cobra 6 Actual and Matthew03 like this.
  15. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

For me, the car thing is more about avoiding vandalism than anything. There are a LOT of gun owners in the PNW, but we also have a lot of enthusiastic-when-it's-convenient antis. I don't want the paint on my car torn up by Prius keys.

kd7dvd, groovster, scbubba and 3 others like this.
  16. ReadyFreddy23

I think most of us on these forums subscribe to similar philosophies - Better safe than sorry, Be prepared, I'd rather have it and not need it vs. needing it and not having it.

In my opinion, that same philosophy extends to the hats and clothes I wear as well as signs on my vehicle or around my property.

If you think that criminals aren't aware of the 5.11 brand, or any other brand, then I think you're being naïve.

If you think criminals aren't opportunistic, then good luck.

scbubba and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  17. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

So if the brand names were being noticed, then we should see a decreased crime rate against people wearing such brands or items... Because what criminal picks a fight with the guy with a gun vs the one without... So if the theory that they are being noticed by criminals is correct then it would make sense to wear them as a crime deterrent...

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  18. ReadyFreddy23

Or you could be putting a target on your back. I guess either opinion is plausible.

I would rather not take the chance of becoming the 1st target.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  19. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

This is similar to claims of Sasquatch sightings. You hear about it, but there is no evidence that it actually happens.

As for criminals being aware of the 5.11 brand... They'd have to be far more aware than the general population. In fact, they'd have to be so familiar that they knew the specific pocket arrangement for the pants I wear, because the logo is the same color as the material, and isn't readily apparent unless you're at what I'll call "intimate contact distance". I'll take it a step farther and confidently say that 90% or more of the LE, mil, and gun communities couldn't identify Stryke pants as 5.11 products without being close enough to put their lips on my butt (the logo is small and located on the butt pocket flap). They don't come with the rigger's belt, they don't have the scoop rear pockets of the tac-lite pro pants, they don't have the external front pouch-pocket, and they don't say "5.11" on them.

Now, my Tactical Tailor hat is tan, has the name right on it, and features a crosshair pattern, so that one is obvious. Again, though... when have we actually seen people targeted because of this?

Even if I trade it all for Hello Kitty gear, I'm a shade shy of 6'3", fit, have a shaved head and beard, and look like a jerk when I'm not actively smiling. If bad guys are trying to profile, they'd probably pass over a marshmallow in digicam to shoot me, anyway.

20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Only when I open carry :unsure: