1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do we really need a back up knife when carrying a multitool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by SurivStud, Aug 16, 2013.

1. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

That's the way I should do it in Chile. I can't carry a dedicated knife unless I can reasonably explain why I carry it. Otherwise the law enforcement officer could apply his criteria and consider that I carry it "to kill, wound or beat". That is the game rule, I should abide by it.
    Thanks!

2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

i never see my multitool as my primary knife.. i think its a weird question, you write "we", but the question is about you. we will never be able to answer any question seeing our needs as universal.

3. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Seems odd to me too but for a different reason.

It is far more common that a multi tool is secondary to a knife. So to ask if we need a backup knife is backwards because for most people the multitool IS the backup.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

4. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Of course. I wrote the question using plural to find out what was everyone's opinion on a matter that could be of interest to many people. My final conclusion of course relates to myself just because I decided to share how all the inormation applied to myself and because I can't conclude in name of you all. Perhaps ther was no need of sharing a conclusion.
    Everyone will conclude after reading all the replies shared in the thread as best fits to his own legal regulations or particular needs.

5. Gr3G

Gr3G Loaded Pockets

I think for the most part, or at least in my case, I carry a knife cause I can, sure the Multi-tool can do all the cutting I need, but then I can't be a ninja :ninja:

Bobby Pin Ninja likes this.
  6. Survival Smurf

Survival Smurf Loaded Pockets

It's the same in Sweden, and IMHO that sucks. :nah_disagree:
    I carry a Leatherman Charge AL for work, or a Centurion SAK at home.
    But carrying both or more at once, would make me feel like:

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

No disrespect intended for those here that carry many knives.
    I would personally just not feel comfortable with it.

When I go for wilderness adventures, I pack a larger fixed blade knife though, and maybe an axe.
    But for urban everyday life, I feel one is enough for me.

SurivStud and Dr. Bahn like this.
  7. Bobby Pin Ninja

Bobby Pin Ninja Loaded Pockets

Professor Murphy says they will only fail at the moment when you need them more than anything else in the universe. :)

8. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

It depends on the multitool. Carrying my Leatherman? No. Carrying my Gerber? Yes. :)

9. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

Something I agree with, but of course, taken in moderation. A multi-tool blade on occasion can handle basic cutting like any edge, but we all can see it will only take stress only as far.

Do you mean, "...run like you stole it..." :D

znapschatz likes this.
  10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

My only backup aside from my multi is a Ladybug on my keys. Three blades is plenty.

11. Brandon_4078

Brandon_4078 Loaded Pockets

I am never happy with the knifes on multitools and would be much happier if they used the tool slot for something more useful (seatbelt/rope cutter, a traditional style wire stripper, and other stuff that is rarely found on a multitool but could easily included). I always carry a pocket knife in lieu of a multitools blade as it is faster to access, usually better steel, better blade shape, better lock mechanism, etc. All of that being said if a multitool has a blade, and time/ease of access is no issue, I will use it to keep gunk or damage off of my good blade when cutting certain things.

12. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

No, I personally don't need another blade if I have my Charge/Wave/SAK on me. Not under the circumstances I have to work with (legal etc.).

I simply can't justify a secondary (locking) folder or a fixed blade in my EDC in my current situation, so I make do with the ones on the MTs/SAKs.

Would I carry extra blade(s) if I could? Yes, just as I would carry a gun and a proper impact weapon if I could.

I should also say that I carry extra blades by way of a LM Squirt S4, a swiss card and two Vic classics. But they usually stay in my bag or jacket, one SAK on the small FAK and the swisscard in my tool pocket along with LM bit kit and a few extras.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Survival Smurf likes this.
  13. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Redundancy isn't always a bad thing; you might want to reserve a pocket knife for messy tasks you wouldn't want to do with your Charge, for instance.

I tend to look at it the other way around: I see the knife blade on a multitool as a backup to the knife clipped to my pocket. Even an inexpensive pocket knife's blade is, with few exceptions, better than the blade on a multitool; larger, better steel, better edge geometry, and of course, more comfortable to use.

(The Leatherman Wave, Charge and Skeletool, and the SOG PowerAssist and PowerDuo are notable exceptions, with "real" knife blades in decent steel. But even they are clunky to handle compared to any decent pocketknife.)

SurivStud likes this.
  14. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

I like carrying a replaceable blade utility knife. If I am carrying a second blade, it's a messy knife job.

SurivStud and BubbaFett like this.
  15. Ibrahim Sarp Dogan

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan Loaded Pockets

when fully loaded i carry a plier based multitool (a leatherman always), a big folder(endura 4, solo etc.) and a small one (classic generally). small one is important for me to use in public or in government buildings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I am trying to limit myself to 2 knives and/or multitools, but it's tough. I like having a fixed blade, and a utility knife is a must for work.

Last week tried bagging my Leatherman, which is fine for weight but I wished I had it on me a few times. No big deal to grab out of my locker (or use my job's tools), but annoying.

Might have to leave my utility knife at work or just deal with the weight.