1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do we really need a back up knife when carrying a multitool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by SurivStud, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

My leatherman is my back-up. I usually have a folder on person, an izula and the MT in my pack, for thise times you need them.

You really can't tell you need them until that moment comes :)

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  2. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I currently EDC eight knives (of which one is an SAK Champion Plus), and I make no apologies for doing so. I have no complaints, nor regrets. The utility of different types of blades, steels, etc., far outweighs the inconvenience of the added weight, and the time involved packing the extra carry items on a daily basis. That's what cargo pockets and belt holsters are for...! :)

As for a multi-tool, as I just mentioned, the only thing I own close enough to a multi-tool is a Victorinox Champion Plus, which does not have pliers. I wish it did. I would gladly pick up another multi-tool, for the convenience of a nice set of pliers, and a heftier pair of scissors, and wire cutters, alone.

Naturally, I feel the same way about flashlights. I EDC ten of those - but I'm now in need of a new belt. I seem to go through belts a little more frequently than I wish I did lol.

So, call me crazy...eccentric, obsessesive..whatever. I carry what I carry, because it suits my purposes, and I don't ever have to depend on another person to a) provide a useful tool (or light), or b) to have that tool at my disposal, all the time...period.

SurivStud likes this.
  3. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

the knife blades(s) on my multitool (vic swisstool) ARE my backup blades. my kershaw Leek is my primary knife, simply because it's so easy to open one handed.

Syclone likes this.
  4. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I carry a backup multi-tool even though I carry a knife. I use the knife more than the multi-tool, but the multi-tool gets used quite a bit, too. I also carry a backup knife that I almost never use, but it's there if I need it.
    There's a lot to be said for redundancy. There's a lot to be said for redundancy.
    One could get broken, lost, lent out, or inaccessible to whichever hand needs it now.
    It's always a good idea to double up on essentials.

david57strat likes this.
  5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carried three knives: primary, backup, multi-tool. Mind you, this was in the Army.

My first knife was my general working tool. On rare occasions, I might loan it out and default to my backup. In very rare situations, I might need the razor-sharp edge of a knife that isn't used daily - I used it to cut through a cargo strap once.

The multi-tool knife blade was mostly an afterthought. It was there, it was useful on rare occasions, but rarely factored into my decision making process. Multi-tool ergonomics are getting better about the blade access and use, but it'll still be hard-pressed to replace a dedicated pocket knife for me.

david57strat likes this.
  6. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

All of you have made the point clear. Good and well explained arguments.
    Some of you have even mentioned in your replies about carrying several knifes, David57strat carries 8 knives; J_C carries several small useful tools and some of them have a blade; RockwellTorrey carries 5 knives... And so on... The replies from all of you have been read and greatly appreciated.
    Well... It seems like the point is clear: Depending on your needs the use of one or several secondary knife (whether it is the multitool knife blade or another dedicated knife) will make the extra consideration of carrying it absolutely justified.

I only have one multitool and a small knife (picture posted before). It seems larger in he pic. In fact the main blade is just 2" long. I also have a 15 functions Victorinox which my older brother gave me many years ago. rarely carry this last one (Vic) because I like blades with a faster opening comfortability.
    Due to regulations and legal facts here in Chile I can't carry a blade larger than about two inches or so. The multitools knife blades are usually larger than that but the whole device will be considered more a tool than a knife so its justified. And, carrying more than one or two would also be suspicious unless you demonstrate you carry them to or from a knives exposition or something like that. I must be honest, the main reason is that I don't have more multitools or knives.... Lol.

7. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

no need for a knife when my Wave has two blades.

8. ElDiablo4

ElDiablo4 Loaded Pockets

I would always carry a full sized self defense knife and a multitool

tattoo13 likes this.
  9. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

One of the reasons why I carry a multitool (and also a prying tool) is because I carry a knife on me so I'm not tempted to ruin it doing things like screwdriving or scraping.

Epilektos and MedusaOblongata like this.
  10. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

My knife is my primary cutting tool. I don't like the knife arrangement on most multi-tools and only use them as a last resort.

11. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

My leatherman charge is in my belt pouch on my left side, and I carry my folding knife in my right front pocket. The knife on the LM is plenty for me, but I carry the Benchmade for easier one had access with my dominant hand.

12. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Funny, that. The only time in my life I was ever faced with possibly having to use a weapon in self defense , I was carrying a Leatherman Super Tool. In fact, it saved the situation. When I unsnapped the leather sheath, concealed under my windbreaker, the guy wasn't sure what I had on me, so enough space was created for me to beat a rapid (and I hope dignified) retreat.

Personally, I believe a knife is an terrible defensive weapon for most people, myself included. Better off with pepper spray or some other space widener of your choice, then run like you mean it. :running:

Last edited by znapschatz, Aug 18, 2013
    Syclone and TrackJack like this.
  13. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

My normal multi-tool is a Juice. The knife I carry is a locking blade, usually partially or fully serrated. I don't use the Juice blade for any cutting more than light duty. I'm just leery of a non-locking blade.

14. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Friends, I need to clarify or make a correction to one of may comments.
    I made mention of the chilean law referring to a possible knife blade length. I wrote that because It came to my mind the memory of a police man conversation who told me several years ago something like such a length concept.
    But today a spent a lot of time reading Chilean law websites and I guess the regulation has been modified, and found out that today the law in my country has a different approach than in USA or Europe since it does not say anything about physical description of the blade (and I am talking about "sharp" metal objects, fire guns are under a whole different chapter). Instead of that, the law definition makes mention of a concept that includes or can include pretty much anything that is blunt or sharp, when an apparent intent is to kill, wound, or beat. The focus of the law is set upon your intent, and upon being or not being able to reasonably justify carrying it.
    It is kind of tricky because there could show up a situation when the criteria of the Chilean law enforcement officer or judge determines your intent or how reasonable is your explanation.

It means, as far as I can interpret, that your SAK or Leathernan could be found more "legal" because obviously you carry such a thing for purposes more related to its tools features. But, a dedicated knife, whether it be 1" or 10" long, will be much harder to explain.
    The good thing is that in Chile I can keep carrying my TTi trusting in our police officers and their criteria. The bad thing is that within urban surroundings it seems like I can't carry a dedicated knife.
    So the core point of this thread arrives to a special aspect: Do we really need to carry a backup knife when carrying a multitool? - Yes. But, in Chile, the law won't allow me to carry a dedicated knife in town.

My concern is solved. Thanks to all of you for your comments and opinions.
    Future comments from yours will always be greatly appreciated.

15. eagle9516

eagle9516 Loaded Pockets

"One is none...Two is one"

16. tattoo13

tattoo13 Loaded Pockets

I usually have a multi-tool to use for work and a blade for self defense, but sometimes the SD blade gets used when I need to do cutting that the multi-tool is not up for.

17. Dr. Bahn

Dr. Bahn Loaded Pockets

Normally I don´t need a second knife when carrying a multitool. If I can foresee that I might need more than one blade, then I would take one or more additional knives with me though. Carrying a pocket sharpener might do the trick, too. ;)

18. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

There is wisdom in this, but in my long life and many adventures, I have not once lost or broken any knife or multi-tool that left me in deep dudu or even serious inconvenience. This could be put down to dumb luck, lifestyle, or that the kinds of predicaments I got into usually couldn't be solved with the right implement. That said, it is only common sense to carry duplicates of survival necessities when leaving the beaten path. These days, most of my unexpected problems can be solved with a credit card. I carry two of them. :happy:

19. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Two is one, and one is none.
    I don't EDC a second blade (and it's not allowed to carry blades without a "precise reason-to-use", in my Country).
    But I carry a second blade (MT always on, ndr) when i know that a blade is needed.
    Atb

20. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Yes indeed