1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do we really need a back up knife when carrying a multitool?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by SurivStud, Aug 16, 2013.

1. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Hello to all of you, members of this great community, from one of the the southern regions of this wonderful world (Chile)
    I've been reading your threads for months and it has been not just really fun, but also very illustrative on many matters related to our earnest desires and joys of EDC.
    Thanks to you all for allowing me in...
    I always edc a multitool (Charge TTi with selected extra bits & bit extender) and a flashlight. Depending on circumstances, I also carry a backup pocket knife which is another multitool by itself (it has a normal small 440 still blade, a cardboard knife, and a one led flashlight)... Since I like EDC stuff most of the times I consider all circumstances as proper to carry this additional or back up knife... I guess I use it many times when for some reason its blade seems more practical, or at least so appears to me, for the work to be done. But the point is that the multitool main blade or other of its tools could always get the job done.

Do you carry a back up knife or I am going nuts with this enjoyable attitude of EDC and finding excuses to carry this backup knife?... Am I under the severe symptoms of some acute disseminated EDC disease?

2. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

This is what I will do... I"ll quit carrying the knife and I"ll se what happens... If I can solve my life without it, I will mean I am getting better... Or worst... Depends on how long I am true to my decision, before I find another knife/tools that may look better for carrying it around...

3. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Hello and welcome to the forums! (just watched a movie last night that part of it took place in Chile, Gorgeous country you have! I am a little ;) north of you in Alaska)

Personally, I find the shape of a folded multi terrible uncomfortable if I have to make more than a few little cuts... it just plain huts the hand after a while... I also tend to prefer a different shape, or style of blade for different tasks... If I see those tasks more often, then why not carry the tool that will do them better is how I see it.

Can I do everything with the multi blade? yes... would I want to? no. And I have no practical reason to limit myself to do so...

Good luck with your decission/challenge though! Like they say, different strokes for different folks; you should find what works the best for you. :)

((I have actually removed the blades from my multi tools to avoid being overly redundant in what I carry, while carrying another knife... and it provided space to replace them with other tools on the multis))

4. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The blade on my wingman is very sharp. Somehow every single time I open it I cut myself, do I very a dedicated knife

Remember, big brother is watching

5. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I carry a back up knife even if I'm not carrying a multitool. Why not? :)

KOKUSHI MUSOU and SAKplumber like this.
  6. Swedish169

Swedish169 Loaded Pockets

yes, you do. in fact you need seven of them, one must contain titanium, one must contain carbon fiber, and all shall be priced over $100.

to me, it's not so much an issue of "need" as much as it is "logically justify" - and that depends on what you're planning to do today. cutting up boxes - a multi-tool knife will do. cutting up carpet - best to have a locking blade. gutting a deer - best to have a fixed blade. surviving in the wilderness for 1 month - best have the bear grylls ultimate survival kit.

Epilektos likes this.
  7. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I go back and forth on this. I tried carrying just the Charge/bit kit (same as OP), but felt weird about it.

What I end up doing is either carrying a folder, in which case I'll whip it out when I just need a blade (faster, lighter, more comfortable, etc)--OR I'll carry an Izula (fixed blade) that is just backup, very little use. Just like to have a fixed blade on me.

Keep in mind I"m mostly talking about work, and I'll also have a utility knife (box cutter) in addition to the other two. YMMV.

8. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

The ergos on multi tool knives are lacking.

9. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

Ditto on ergonomics. I also attack any task with a my multitool's blade, so its often beat up. My back up knife is always very sharp and ready.

tmedina likes this.
  10. inanitydefined

inanitydefined Loaded Pockets

I carry a Leatherman st 300 and one of the knives in my small (but rapidly growing) rotation. For me, a knife deploys easier and faster than the blade on my super tool. All my knives have different blade profiles depending on what I will need that day. The Leatherman blade is as basic a clip point as they come, useable for any task but doesn't really do anything well. I save it for abusive use (unless I'm carrying the "sharpened pry bar", a thick cheap fixed blade I bought just for abuse). I know if I break it, Leatherman will replace it. Many of my knives are hand me downs, I wouldn't risk damaging them

11. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

For the average EDC tasks, I probably don't need a knife. Do I carry one? Yes. Why? Knives are like boobies, 2 is better then 1.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  12. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

There are quite a few jobs and lifestyles that are knife dependent. Many of those jobs are becoming more and more scarce. A huge number of these people used multiple knives but they were not backups they were for different jobs. I know this is not what you are asking about but if you run across someone with 4 blade shapes it might not be "EDC disease" They might actually do tasks that call for all four types. One multi knife job (not EDC) I don't think will go away anytime soon is a Chef. Tell him he can only use one knife. :)

SurivStud likes this.
  13. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

What's a backup knife? All of my knives are carried for primary use, even if I happen to have 4 of them with on me like I do right now. Plus two multitools that coincidentally have blades on them. Oh, and a SAK Classic. And two more at my desk. Now those two actually are backups I guess, for use in case for some reason I forgot to bring a knife to work. Or for loaners.

But each of them has a separate use and purpose. None of them are intended to be backups for the others, though I suppose there is some crossover. I could explain them each individually but it gets boring. Plus someone inevitably says "but couldn't you just use knife A to do what you carry knife B for?" And I'd say sure, but knife B can't do some of the things that knife A does best, and vice versa.

Then they say "well what about knife C"? And I'd say, that's for apples. They then ask "You cut up apples much?" and I'd refer them to the neatly sliced up remains of TWO apples in my trash can at my desk.

Then they say - "well OK, but why the SAK Classic?" And I tell them - it's part of my First Aid Kit (which it is, contained in an Altoids tin). It's got scissors, tweezers, a toothpick, and a small sharp blade. I want the FAK to be self contained and not require that I have another knife along.

"Why two multitools then?" Little one, pocket, always there. Use the pliers, file, screwdrivers often. Blade rarely. Bigger one is for specific tasks that the little one won't do, plus I have a screwdriver bit set for it, stays in my bag.

Ok, well I guess I went ahead and bored you. Oops!

Today I am actually carrying one more than I usually do because I wanted to take some pics of it with my phone, so that's not really being carried per se, it's just with me.

So see, every knife has a purpose, none are intended to be backups for anything. And for the record I almost never use the knife blades on my multitools, so if anything THOSE are the backup blades.

14. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

I currently carry 5 knives. Yes that is probably excessive. No, I don't care.

I use 3 of the five everyday. One I almost never use. But if I need it, I want it there.

Do I carry a backup knife? Each one has their own job(s). But they all can do most jobs.

don Roberto and SAKplumber like this.
  15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

*fist bump:)

16. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Thanks to you all for all of your replies.
    You have been very clarifying. In fact, I posted this thread with the concern or the almost taken decision of leaving the second knife behind... And after reading you all my mind is already set up with the idea of keeping it inside my pocket. Lol.

Here is a pic of this knife, which I edc as well as my TTi. Hopefully I"ll be able to post it.
    Thanks to you all again. It is great to read you.[​IMG]

17. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

There's a whole lot going on with that knife, it might not provide the sure grip a dedicated knife can. Something simple like a Victorinox Solo, or a mid sized Spyderco such as a UKPK or Delica would be good options. Your multitool will become an excellent backup once you find a good primary knife.

Cheers, Ted

18. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

You are right.
    I'l get a dedicated knife. Oh... the disease... The uncontrollable desire to acquire a new knife or another multitool. Há!. Just joking about this thing of the disease... I have seen in your different threads so wonderful collections. These tools are useful and so well made.

Now going bak to the point, seriously, If I edc a charge TTi which I really use a lot every day taking advantage of its different tools (fixing things at home or at work, repairing my kids toys, etc) in fact what I need as a second knife is a dedicated medium size knife.
    Thanks!

19. SurivStud

SurivStud Loaded Pockets

Primary- second... Second- primary.... Either the multitool knife blade or the dedicated knife could be either one depending on your preferences and needs, The point is that once you carry a multitool if you will carry another knife it's a good idea to select a dedicated one. Thanks Ted.

20. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Ok, got be honest with you - that's a big old honking thing of a knife-tool- whatever. If I had a multitool that was doing the job for me I'd leave that beast behind too.

My knives are all pretty small, and the dedicated purpose knives typically aren't on me. I leave a Case Slimline trapper in my work bag. It really is just for slicing up fruit or other food prep tasks. In my front right pocket, or more accurately clipped to it, is a little Boker KeyCom with a 1.5" blade. I carry it for the fact that it makes a good dangler for my flashlight more so than for the blade, but I do use it now and then. In my back pocket along side my wallet lives a medium-sized traditional slipjoint, Case, Buck, Great Eastern Cutlery, or Victorinox. 2 or three smallish blades, non locking, non scary-looking. Very handy.

My point is, carry what you think you need and what makes life easier. For me these small light objects add nothing to my daily burden and frequently provide great utility and convenience. But if you're not getting enough benefit from something to offset the hassle, then don't carry it.

And if you really do need to use a sturdy knife all of the time in your work or leisure pursuits, then it makes perfect sense to carry a spare.