1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

DO NOT Trust the S-Biner

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by jon1996, Dec 18, 2008.

1. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, realitycheck.

2. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget Loaded Pockets

Yeah they have failed me more than once...I no longer use them for valuable gear.

3. e206

e206 Loaded Pockets

Which ones fail, the plastic ones, the metal ones, or both?

4. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget Loaded Pockets

I only have experience with the metal ones but the plastic look to have the same design. I did see a suggestion on a couple of posts that you put your tool or light or whatever your attaching through both gates and set it over the middle of the s-biner. I haven't tried it but it looks much more secure.

5. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

Maybe I have been lucky by no problems with mine. I use a number one with keys on one side and a atrwench and photon on the other. I guess the point of failure would be in your pocket. Things shifting around, opening the gate and then coming out of the pocket when you pull something else out. All of the posts with problems appear to be pocket problems. I can't see them opening if for example you used them to hang freely your keys on your backpack for instance.

6. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I have one just hanging out on the keychain doing nothing, and it's already fallen off once.

7. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

I've had the same thing happen with the McGizmo clips...I think it may be a problem inherent to the gate snap closure....

8. gcstct

gcstct Loaded Pockets

My experience has been similar. I used a #1 S-Biner to attach my Leatherman Squirt to my keychain to make it easy to remove quickly, but the Leatherman worked its way out of the clip repeatedly just from the keychain moving around in my pocket. When the clip finally chose exactly the moment I pulled the keychain from my pocket to fail, sending the Leatherman skittering across a parking lot, I retired the S-Biner for good for securing anything I actually cared about.

9. Aaron SBT

Aaron SBT Empty Pockets

I agree, though I did successfully use a small s biner to light a room during a recent power outage. I slipped a chem-light [glowstick] over either latch side using the sticks' lanyard hole, then hung the assembly from a bungee cord from a prop on the ceiling fan. 2 green 12 hr. chem lights suspended in the middle of the room actually worked quite well. But again, I agree with you guys re: s biners in action. for security, I usually have my keys and their kubotan-buddy attached to a belt loop with a Grimloc carabiner, as they are cheap, and they lock, though they can't bear any significant weight, the plunge-lock mechanism is very easy to open and close with one hand.

10. monkeysfistmaker

monkeysfistmaker Loaded Pockets

I have been using one for a good while now, lost a fenix about a week ago and decided to change back to my climbing grade one. :brickwall:

11. TrevorMl

TrevorMl Empty Pockets

Yep... happens

I won't use one again...

had the tiny one with a fantastic tiny Bausch and Lomb 30x hastings loupe attached to my keychain lanyard... gone... gone... GONE...!!!!

I was soooo peeved that I sent an all-staff email around at work in an effort to locate it...

I had picked it up as a part of a bundle of junk on ebay for next to nothing... only to find out it will cost AU$50+ to replace it !!!

12. schadenfreude

schadenfreude Empty Pockets

Wow, glad I saw this. I almost ordered a few of these for my work items.

13. smack2000

smack2000 Loaded Pockets

I've had this problem with pretty much all gate snaps I've used except for the classic heavy duty SS gate snaps. Pretty much any titanium gate snap has the same problem because the spring tension is so light in the wire. I've had 'pocket failures' with the Mcgizmo small Ti gate snaps, BP full size Ti gate snaps, and S-Biners. The #1 S-Biners are the worst S-Biners because the spring tension is so weak.

Don't trust anything on a BP 2 7/8" Ti Gate Snap. I've had one of those come off my belt loop twice in one day -- the last day I used it.

- Scott

14. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I still carry and use a large S-Biner as a coat hook to hang my jacket.

[​IMG]

15. jake.t

jake.t Empty Pockets

i use standard karabiners

you could always use a combination lock to carry things as it wont open unless you don't lock it

16. ih8dos

ih8dos Empty Pockets

I initially thought the s-biner would be a great option for keyrings/fobs/etc, but once I saw how easy the gates open, I was completely disappointed. I supposed the only way to ensure items don't come off is to super glue it.

17. LauraQ

LauraQ Loaded Pockets

I love everything about the S-biners...except their ability to hold things securely. I no longer use them for important items. So, are there any climbing grade 'biners that will fit on a keychain? The ones I have looked at at REI are huge...I guess because they're for climbing ;D

18. Hectorx

Hectorx Loaded Pockets

I have several S-Biners and like them so far but I can see with use they will loosen up and might be a problem.

LauraQ, In the site Jeff posted I found these, Small locking biners. http://www.campingsurvival.com/versalink.html

19. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Not climbing grade but most hardware stores and home centers have quick links in the section with the chain and rope. These are ovals with a screw gate that can be tightened down securely with a pair of pliers or a wrench. To really be sure they won't come undone you could use a drop of Loctite. The price depends on the material. Stainless is the most expensive but they also come in steel, zinc coated, or galvanized. They are usually available as small as 1/8" diameter and get much larger. Quality snap rings could work too but I trust quick links. Take a look.

20. LauraQ

LauraQ Loaded Pockets

Ooooh, I just saw these at REI! Just what I was looking for. Thank you!