1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do nitrile gloves expire?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by zenlunatic, Apr 18, 2009.

1. zenlunatic

zenlunatic Loaded Pockets

My friend gave me a box of nitrile gloves that he has had in his truck for a while. They look fine to me. Do these things expire? The box has a "lot number" "batch number" and "date of manufacture" on the bottom. Don't see any sort of expiration date.

2. Andy_L

Andy_L Loaded Pockets

Not that I know of though if they do I'm hardly in danger of it happening.

I'm assuming your talking about non sterile examination gloves rather then the sterile surgical gloves. (which after a time will become unsterile)

3. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

They will if they are kept in the heat and humidity, I had a box go south in my garage after 7 years. YMMV. I rotate the stock in my car kit every year.

Edit: By going south I meant they would tear and seemed dry rotted.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

We use them quite frequently in the manufacturing environment at work. We do not keep them in stock long enough to have any experience with the effects of long term non-usage. Contact the manufacturer for their recommendation.

5. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

From my experience (lab work), they somehow seem to degrade if exposed to air for long (think weeks/month). New gloves do not rip, but if you leave them out of the box hanging somewhere, they will lose flexibility and tear very easily.

6. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

I'm right now looking at two of my glove bags I keep my supplies in, and I forgot to close one a while ago (mebbe five, six months ago). They're both airtight, but the one I forgot to close lost that benefit, and now the gloves in it are breaking easily. The other one is just fine. So as unscientific as this is, I would have to go with yes, they can go bad.

7. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

Tupperware Type container or few in zip-loc bag ? I use Zip-loc bag with four pair , and I ditched the Carboard box and put all in a tupperware container . the wife is still looking for it !!! :bolt: SHHHHHHH ! They still will go bad ( degrade ) after some time .. Been there sisx months ( GOOD ) i just checked! ......... I use Adenna - Shadow Black Nitrile Gloves(5 mil 9" cuff) Buddy gets them cheap Tattoo Supply !!