1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Do LEOs buy their own guns?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ketchupgun, Oct 7, 2012.

1. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

I see folks talking about getting this or that gun for on-duty...Aren't LEOs given a standard issue of some sort? Or i guess you could bring your own if you had a prefered piece?

Specifically, I guess thie varies from location to location.

Anyone know specifically for Canada LEOs?

I guess this extens to security guards and BRINKs workers....and their ilk...?

2. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

No idea about Canada specifically, but yes from the LEOs I've talked to it is very subjective to location/department policy, and as I understand it, to rank; The odds are low for the average bottom rung patrolman to be allowed his personal side arm, but a sargent, or detective/investigator/whatever etc. with proper senority has the option to do it in a lot of places. They'd have to range qualify with it, to prove its usefulness in service conditions though, I'm sure.

G.

ketchupgun and tomsk like this.
  3. whyedc?

whyedc? Loaded Pockets

My agency has an issued primary sidearm (Sig P-229) and a limited supply of backup .38s, Glock 26s and some Sig P239s. We are also authorized to use personally owned weapons as long as it is on a very short list. I got luck and was also issued a Glock 26 along with the issued P229. I also have an approved S&W 442.

All that aside, I just saw a Sig P238 and want one of those too!

4. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My great grandfather was NYPD in Hell's Kitchen late 1800's. his side arm was a two by four. He was 6'8" tall so that may have been all he needed. With the keystone cop hat he must have seemed ten feet tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. GFL1905

GFL1905 Loaded Pockets

In my dept. you are issued one for on duty, but for off duty use you have to purchase your own and qualify with it in a slightly modified course of fire compared to the duty weapon course of fire(more shots up close with the off duty).

6. Pilgrimm

Pilgrimm Loaded Pockets

My uncle was given X amount to purchase whatever gun he wanted, and gets X amount either yearly or every other year to go ahead and make a personal purchase as to whatever firearm he would like to get and carry.

Though, he has been on the force for 20+ years as well.

7. silent_vengeance

silent_vengeance Loaded Pockets

did the department buy it for him? :)

stax likes this.
  8. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I think it largely depends on the size of the department and their available budget.

When I first started in law enforcement in the 1970s at a relatively small police department, we were required to buy our own guns out of our own pockets. There was a specific list of what we could carry. For duty, it had to be a S&W or Colt 6-shot revolver, 4" length, capable of firing the issued service ammo which was .38spl +P 125-gr SJHP. For plainclothes or off duty, the list also included 5-shot revolvers in 2" or longer length. We could only carry the exact gun we had qualified with, including off-duty guns. We could buy .357s but had to carry .38+P.

In the late 80s the dept decided to allow us to carry 9mm semi-autos but we still had to buy them. We had a choice of three models- the original Glock 17, a SIG P226, and a Ruger P-85. Most kept carrying their .38s. Cops didn't get paid that much and having to plunk down several hundred dollars for a new gun in the late 80s was hard on the budget.

In the early 90s they finally went to departmental issued guns, the S&W 5946, which was a DAO 9mm that had a trigger pull that felt just like a DA revolver. You still had to purchase your own off-duty gun and qualify with it. The department size had more than tripled by then and I think there was probably some federal grant money available at the time to help smaller departments transition from revolvers to higher-capacity semi-autos.

I've been out of law enforcement for about 20 years and haven't kept up with the details, but my understanding is that most departments now issue carry guns. I don't know what their policy is for off-duty but I would expect that's still something that the officer must buy.

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

That should have been around the time that Commissioner Teddy Roosevelt standardized the NYPD on the Colt DA revolver. Or perhaps just before it.

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

As for the topic title, it depends on the size on the Dept.

Smaller ones still issue an officer his sidearm. But only in a B.S. sense of the term. The officer pays for his sidearm himself. Holster too. When he retires or leaves, he takes his gun with him and can sell it if he wishes.

11. Ktowngunner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ktowngunner Loaded Pockets

It depends on the department but most issue a standard sidarm for all officers. It helps standardize training, ammo purchases, holster purchases, etc. Also helps with liability if all officers have the same weapons, trainers can be factory certified armors with that specific type, etc. Often when the departments replace those weapons the officer has the option of purchasing his duty weapon. SWAT officers usually carry that units gun, and other officers can carry something similar. My local sheriff department issues glocks. 22 is standard issue for patrol, 23 for detectives and special units, 27 for backup. If you have a carry permit you can carry anything you want off duty.

12. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

like Ktowngunner said it depends on the department. I have one friend who's a deputy and she can only use her issued side arm for primary while on duty but if she wants to carry a back up she has to buy her own. Another friend rules are you have to use the issued weapon for certain events (mainly parades and inspections he said). If he wants to carry any of his personal pistols he has to qualify with it. As well he has to buy the ammo through the department if he uses his personal pistol but they'll issue him ammo if he uses the issued one.

13. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

In my previous city of Midwest City, OK, LEOs had the choice of using a department-issued Glock or purchasing and carrying their own handgun, so long as it fell on a list of approved pieces.

14. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

I've seen 2 different guns carried by our LEOs, either an unknown model Glock or some are carrying the F&N Five-Seven.

15. llamaman

llamaman Loaded Pockets

The police at my college are issued glock 23s usually, however we have some big officers, who carry the 22 due to their larger hands. Also we have 2 officers that carry the glock 19, and one who carries a 40 caliber Sig. Btw 45's are not allowed for some stupid reason.

16. BCGarrick

BCGarrick BST/Marketplace ban

We are issued a Glock 22. We are allowed to carry a 23/27 but we have to purchase it and qualify with it before we can carry it.

17. Rudy222

Rudy222 Loaded Pockets

We were issued a S&W .40 calibre in my department. That way every officer was carrying the exact same ammo and magazines. (Good for swapping, exchanging etc...). I personnaly went from using a Colt Python to the .40 cal. A lot more fire power with the .40 cal for sure. With plenty of range time, it took just a few days to get used to the semi auto. A little more time to clean but really no big deal.

18. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Depends on the department. Our sheriff's dept issues Glock 22's to road deputies, Glock 23's to the detective's and upper command staff. The detectives can carry a different sidearm of their choice, but they pay for it out of their own pocket and must qualify with it. Anyone can carry a backup, again they must pay for it and qualify with it. A couple of the swat guys carry 1911's that they paid for. The auxillary deputies must purchase their own sidearm and qualify with it.

19. StDomingos

StDomingos Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty confident that in Canada, all LEOs are only authorised to carry the departmental issue sidearm (though many agencies have model variations to allow for plainclothes/tactical/concealment use). No one can use a personally purchased firearm.

ketchupgun likes this.
  20. paustin

paustin Loaded Pockets

tMy agency issues every sworn officer a generation 4 glock 22. Detectives are also given the option to choose between a glock 23 or 27 as well as the glock 22. We are required to carry the issued weapon on duty, but we can carry anything we like off duty (as long we qualify with it).