1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

DIY Minimalist Sheath Series - Ranger Band Carry

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by comis, Aug 22, 2013.

1. comis

comis Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Minimalism Sheath with Victorinox Spirit

Hi, everyone
    Not too long ago, I had some Ranger band(bicycle inner tubing) laying around, and not to let it go wasted, I use that to cut out a minimalistic horizontal sheath for my multitools and knives. The good thing is it is very discreet and virtually cost nothing.
    Here are some pictures and video about how this sheath comes into being:

Comis Gear Youtube Channel

[​IMG]
    Find some ranger band that will fit loosely onto your EDC belt, and cut out the length that is longer than the tool that you want to carry. Usually, I leave about an inch of rubber each side to cover the two ends of the tool, and the rest is just window.(See video to see the fit)

[​IMG]
    Draw the shape of your multitool/knife on the tube, then also draw the window you'd like to cut out for retrieving and putting the tool back into the sheath. I'd recommend to use a quarter to round out all the window corners for long term durability.

[​IMG]
    The window cut in process, I highly recommend to have something between the rubber when cutting it, so you won't be opening two windows instead of just one. :frantic:

[​IMG]
    The sheath I made was planned for a Swisstool Spirit, but it will also fit Swisstool, Leatherman Charge TTi, or even Leatherman Surge! However, for knife such as OHO German Army Knife, one end of the handle is a tad bit narrow, so to make it work, I put extra strips of tubing to make it tighter for the GAK.

[​IMG]
    Ranger Band Carry Minimalistic Sheath with Leatherman Charge TTi

[​IMG]
    Charge TTi in its orginal sheath for comparison

[​IMG]
    With a shirt over the sheath, the whole thing just virtually disappeared.

Thank you for reading, and hopefully it will work for you as well.;)

Last edited by comis, Aug 22, 2013
    Montetobuso, odg, hotpixel and 9 others like this.
  2. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

I like the idea.
    I love the use of ranger bands.
    The look is very nice.
    I question the security of the system. Just not sure it would hold through a normal day.

One all you can eat pancake breakfast, a good stretch and my multitool goes shooting across the room.

comis and Nick4305 like this.
  3. comis

comis Loaded Pockets

That's a very fair and valid question.:)

I have been wearing this sheath with various multitools for a few weeks, basically besides showering and sleeping, it is on me 24/7. Usually, after the sheath is made, I do recommend a 'jumps-on-carpet test' and trying to twist/swing the tool out-of-sheath. So far, I tried everything(running, running up or down long flights of stairs many times a day, jumping/hoping around for no reasons every day, lazing on couch...etc) and the tool stays in. :running:

odg likes this.
  4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good idea. Got to think a sort of this like about my stuff.
    I was thinking time ago at a similar slim carry solution, based on a strip of thick leather with two belt loops and a couple of harmonic SS clips riveted and rubber wrapped, like those used for fixing the plastic tubes at the walls. Their shape is like a "lyra", you know.

comis likes this.
  5. comis

comis Loaded Pockets

Thanks for watching!

I think if there is a way to tighten two leather loops like two little belts, you could even just use them to tie down the tool at both ends in a similar fashion to this ranger band sheath. To reduce the slide, it is also possible to glue some ranger band type material inside the loop. :)

Nick4305 likes this.
  6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice idea! I've been thinking about a horizontal sheath for my flashlight. Now I need to find an old inner tube to cut up

Remember, big brother is watching

comis likes this.
  7. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great idea.. Nice video..

comis likes this.
  8. comis

comis Loaded Pockets

@Kertap
    Thanks, for finding bicycle inner tubing, I remembered reading somewhere that you could find them free at local bicycle store or sometimes in REI(outdoor goods retailer in US), it will be nice to find some that will fit loosely on the belt you wear, and it should work like a charm.

@Joost
    Thanks for watching! :)

Joost Heijnen likes this.